Derby County vs Rotherham (in theory)

cannable

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, HorsforthRam said:

Was there any period of play longer than about 45 seconds before a stoppage? I’m sure there was but it didn’t feel like it. Seemed to be endless replays of nothing being shown. It would be interesting to know how long the ball was actually in play. 
Very disappointed in the energy levels (potentially understandable) but the lack of urgency around taking of throws and corners just added to the general feeling of not being up for it 

This was part of Rotherham 's game plan and it worked to perfection for them. It's ugly, ugly, ugly but it is how teams play at this level. We (and the referees)  fall for it every time!

8 hours ago, CBRammette said:

Did players train on that pitch much in the week? For such a key game it seemed to negate any home advantage. What has happened with the pitch - used to be great? Have ground staff been furloughed or something?

Is there any home advantage in todays Covid-19 world,? Already we've lost 7 from 12, I'd hazard a guess that home advantage has sank in the Mud.

57 minutes ago, superzak said:

We won 2 championships on worse mud than that lol

Ours wasn't the only Mud Bath, It looked worse when tons of sand was put on it, Do you remember when they had to re paint the penalty spot lol, Against Man City I think, Groundsman coming out with a pot of whitewash and a brush, Gerry Daley scoring the penalty ?

10 hours ago, CBRammette said:

Did players train on that pitch much in the week? For such a key game it seemed to negate any home advantage. What has happened with the pitch - used to be great? Have ground staff been furloughed or something?

RamsTV said that there'd been stuff done to the pitch - didn't say what. But it was awful, really made passing difficult, lots of bobbles. The grass looked long too, I presume to cover up the lack of it at soil level?! Watched the Fulham game after and it was chalk and cheese, their looked like a snooker table!

12 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

I wonder what would have happened when Sibley chested the ball down and was in on goal, only for the ref to give handball against him, when it clearly wasn't. Sibbers is well capable of netting from that position. He scores, we win. Annoyingly, a Rotherham player controlled the ball on his chest indentically to Sibley, but apparently because he hadn't got a white shirt on it was good play. ?

Lots of people have said the ref was ok, which for a Derby game means "really good". In reality he was good for the EFL prescribed first 20 minutes. Then we apparently started giving away silly free-kicks. We would have been doing so if stepping on an opponent's shadow is actually a foul. As seems to be normal, we barely had to challenge and the whistle blows, often with the Rotherham player looking like he'd been in a sniper's cross-hairs for a moment too long. Yes we got away with the Beilik "professional" foul, but that was the exception rather than the rule. But we seem to have gone back to the Derby way of outdoing the ref for performing badly. Truth is that the best team won, today.

For the first 20 minutes, Beilik put in some great through balls, but then it seems that Rotherham worked out that putting a man on him and marking him out of the game would stop us. We did change it up in the second half - Rotherham played very narrow, filling out the middle of the park/farmer's field, and we couldn't find a way through, and for part of the second half we didn't bother much with the middle three, concentrating on getting out out and down the wings, with a little fruitfulness coming from that. 

So after thinking Beilik could pull man of the match, he faded, and although lucky to stay on, his yellow card was harsh, to say the least and it wasn't the only harsh one dished to the Rams. Subbing him was the right choice, though. I also had hopes for Joswiack, who i really like because he is so positive, and tricky on the ball. But as with others, far too many times he takes an extra touch, after which his options are gone. And sadly, when he did move the ball on quickly, it was to Waggy, who needs nearly as many chances as Nugent to score. Add in Rooney  being way too late yet again with the substitutions, although yet again I have to wonder what Sibley is doing wrong to keep being kept on the bench?

I think the unrest at the club is the biggest factor affecting today's performance. Covid isn't the problem - it hardly touches anyone below the age of 60, and we had players who tested positive, which isn't the same as being infected - the PCR test they use is totally the wrong test for viral infections, and throws up colossal numbers of false positives. Yes I know Covid is really, really nasty when it hits someone, but it is not the population destroying behemoth it is being made out to be. But the players not knowing who will be the manager, who will be the owners, whether there will even be a club to play for, as well as not being paid (the poor little beggars must be down to their last millions or half millions by now) are a much greater disruptive influence.

All I can hope is that Rooney can get through this and get the lads playing with the desire and bite which they were showing prior to the Rotherham postponement, which turned out to be a master-stroke by them!

The only incident I can think that you are referring to is when Jozwiak was played in by Bielik and he literally nearly caught it.

If youre going to criticise referees then say blatant offences like that arent free kicks not sure opinion is going to be looked upon as unbiased.

Agree the ref was pretty poor yesterday, didnt let the game flow at all.

Thought the yellows for Buchanan, Knight and Bielik were all harsh but he evened it up by not sending Bielik off for a blatant foul.

Thought he got their disallowed goal decision right.

Talking about the officials yesterday though just deflects away from how poor our own performance was.

2 hours ago, angieram said:

This was part of Rotherham 's game plan and it worked to perfection for them. It's ugly, ugly, ugly but it is how teams play at this level. We (and the referees)  fall for it every time!

There was a phase in the first half where we must have given away 5 free kicks In dangerous positions in as many minutes.

Think the referee finally saw through it after about 70 minutes when they player fell over in the corner when Shinnie blew on him.

Funny thing was that their olayer actually picked the ball up, that confident that the referee would give a foul.

15 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Bird looked ordinary.

He wasn't spectacular but probably the pick of the midfielders and we actually started to look like we could keep the ball for more than half a second when he came on. Had he came on at half time I think it would have taken the pressure of Bielik and made it harder for Rotherham to man mark him out of the game as we would have actually had 2 midfielders looking to get into space and on the ball.

Just now, brady1993 said:

He wasn't spectacular but probably the pick of the midfielders and we actually started to look like we could keep the ball for more than half a second when he came on. Had he came on at half time I think it would have taken the pressure of Bielik and made it harder for Rotherham to man mark him out of the game as we would have actually had 2 midfielders looking to get into space and on the ball.

Well it's a game of opinions, I thought he contributed very little.

1 minute ago, brady1993 said:

Was really surprised we didnt make a change at half time.

Rooney does seem very reluctant to make early changes.

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Was really surprised we didnt make a change at half time.

Rooney does seem very reluctant to make early changes.

Rooney seems reluctant to make any sort of changes until the sands of time are on him and it will be a worthless exercise when it happens.

I don't mean this in a derogatory manner but maybe he can't read the game and see the cause/effect of what is happening. 

Or he simply isn't intelligent enough to see this.

Or he's getting so engrossed in the game that it simply passes him by.

Either way he needs to start learning to chang things far earlier or our fate will be sealed far earlier than anticipated.

5 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Rooney seems reluctant to make any sort of changes until the sands of time are on him and it will be a worthless exercise when it happens.

I don't mean this in a derogatory manner but maybe he can't read the game and see the cause/effect of what is happening. 

Or we've got no quality on the bench whatsoever that if he did make a change, we wouldn't get any better. And that has happened every single time. The subs make no impact.

6 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Either way he needs to start learning to chang things far earlier or our fate will be sealed far earlier than anticipated.

Yeah I completely agree and I can't help but have the nagging feeling it's cost us quite a lot of points already.

2 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Or we've got no quality on the bench whatsoever that if he did make a change, we wouldn't get any better. And that has happened every single time. The subs make no impact.

The subs aren't allowed to have an impact as 

(a) they are introduced so late in the game then they have little opportunity to do so 

(b) the subs being brought on or players being hooked off are the wrong ones 

(c) by that time we inevitably will have shipped an 85th minute goal so any semblance of a plan then goes out of the window. 

Archived