Jason Knight

Jimbo Ram

25 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

If he goes (I hope he would be loaned back for the rest of this season) I am not too worried who he goes to. I just want to get the right fee for a change. 15 million minimum I would say....

As we saw with Will .. fees are a movable feast dependant on so much. I agree though, it has to be rational and proportional. For me .. 10 mill solid and decent add ons given the state of the game at present. 

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Sinistra ram rousse said:

I thought the long term plan was to train up and utilise our academy players. Has this plan been abandoned? Is there even a plan anymore? I'd rather keep both Knight and Sibley. 

I hope this is still the plan , but in all fairness that was mels plan and philosophy,  that might not be the preferred direction for the new owners , who knows ?‍♂️ 

35 minutes ago, Sinistra ram rousse said:

I thought the long term plan was to train up and utilise our academy players. Has this plan been abandoned? Is there even a plan anymore? I'd rather keep both Knight and Sibley. 

That is the plan but the next step of that plan is that if the player is good enoigh they will attract Prem interest and you sell for a high price then start again with another youth player.

Happens at all levels and makes the most business sense, sell your academy products for high fee's

6 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

That is the plan but the next step of that plan is that if the player is good enoigh they will attract Prem interest and you sell for a high price then start again with another youth player.

Happens at all levels and makes the most business sense, sell your academy products for high fee's

Yes I agree but selling our youngsters and buying in other players hasn't got us anywhere has it? I'm far from convinced about the ability of our scouting team to bring in players that add or benefit our squad with a couple or so exceptions. I just see us on a treadmill of mediocrity if we continue selling off our brightest and best. It also has a negative effect on the cohesion of our squad and the ability to develop and move on as a team.

9 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Timing the sale so you achieve peak value is definitely the aim. 

Of course, peak value can change depending on the need to sell. 

You see quite a few players in the Prem who a few years ago might have been sold upwards by now, but the TV deals give even the smaller established clubs the power to turn down deals unless the money is absurd.

1 hour ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

I hope this is still the plan , but in all fairness that was mels plan and philosophy,  that might not be the preferred direction for the new owners , who knows ?‍♂️ 

I am sure this is the plan !  It has to be the plan for all Championship clubs run with a degree of sanity and logic . You can’t make a profit in every day running and compete in the championship. The only way to make money in the championship is to nurture young  players and sell them at a profit .. hoping that for a season or two they will light up your team, until they move on at a profit, or .... as an outside chance you get promoted and can then afford to keep them .. but that outside chance is somewhere between icing on the cake and a gamble. For a sustainable business in this league .. you have to be a player factory. No other realistic way to achieve FFP / P and S 

40 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Well, now we have quite literally got no cash you can kiss the big fees we want goodbye. We will get low balled and have no choice but to take it. 

Wonderful. 

Yep it looks that way. You have to question whether an academy is worth it. We’ll have our brightest group of young talent ever coming through who we’ll potentially have to let go way below their market value. Soul destroying really. Here’s hoping a miracle buyer pops up - looking doubtful though. 

The academy is absolutely worth it, it's the absolute circus going on at the rest of the club that is the problem. Jason Knight should be either playing for Derby or being sold for the kind of figure that can allow us to build the rest of the squad. Instead we are in a position where we are selling off the crown jewels to keep the lights on.

16 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

The academy is absolutely worth it, it's the absolute circus going on at the rest of the club that is the problem. Jason Knight should be either playing for Derby or being sold for the kind of figure that can allow us to build the rest of the squad. Instead we are in a position where we are selling off the crown jewels to keep the lights on.

I get your point, but the way we do things the first team barely benefits. We see them for a season, two at most then flog them before we get the full benefits of their performances. Never getting anything near market value for them. This money is then used to keep the club afloat paying off deadwood like Malone etc. If we could keep Knight Sibley Bitd for 3 seasons plus then we’d be a lot better off. 

2 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Well, now we have quite literally got no cash you can kiss the big fees we want goodbye. We will get low balled and have no choice but to take it. 

Wonderful. 

I think quite a few clubs will be interested. Might see a bidding war (or at least a bidding cat fight!)

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/major-problem-Derby-leeds-sibley-knight-transfers

If the truth is Derby are selling talent then league one and/or bankruptcy is on the cards.

Knight and sibley are not dead wood at the club.

Derby are in a relegation fight, what quality replacements if any would come to the club if those players are sold at this time.

If Derby's any weaker its relegated.

If Derby fails to pay the players wages this month, I think the risk is an efl points deduction and that means relegation.

Why would anyone in their right mind part with 60 million for any club in league one.

5 hours ago, enachops said:

I get your point, but the way we do things the first team barely benefits. We see them for a season, two at most then flog them before we get the full benefits of their performances. Never getting anything near market value for them. This money is then used to keep the club afloat paying off deadwood like Malone etc. If we could keep Knight Sibley Bitd for 3 seasons plus then we’d be a lot better off. 

You've pinpointed exactly why you need a "Derby Way" - the moment you choke off the pathway to the first team by stocking up on "experience" in both the first XI and back up positions, you are stacking up the risk....

- make a few bad transfer calls (and we have a loooong list of those) and you start generating FFP losses by the bucketload

- don't develop the youth fully and you cannot recover the losses as nobody pays high fees for unproven players.

We would be much better off if Mel had choked off transfer kittys a while back. Might have missed out on a top 6 finish or two tho.......

2 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

You've pinpointed exactly why you need a "Derby Way" - the moment you choke off the pathway to the first team by stocking up on "experience" in both the first XI and back up positions, you are stacking up the risk....

- make a few bad transfer calls (and we have a loooong list of those) and you start generating FFP losses by the bucketload

- don't develop the youth fully and you cannot recover the losses as nobody pays high fees for unproven players.

We would be much better off if Mel had choked off transfer kittys a while back. Might have missed out on a top 6 finish or two tho.......

I agree. Just feels as though we never benefit from our academy structure fully. They don’t stay long enough to excel, and are then sold too cheaply. Then the sales aren’t put towards team improvement but paying off/making up for FFP losses. Fair enough they’re millions are needed to keep the club afloat, just feels like a waste of the talent that is clearly at the club.

On 14/01/2021 at 16:05, enachops said:

I agree. Just feels as though we never benefit from our academy structure fully. They don’t stay long enough to excel, and are then sold too cheaply. Then the sales aren’t put towards team improvement but paying off/making up for FFP losses. Fair enough they’re millions are needed to keep the club afloat, just feels like a waste of the talent that is clearly at the club.

In fairness, who knows what peak value is? They might not get much better and their youth means they’re sold for more now than five years time 

Will Hughes was class at 17 but did he get as much better as many of us expected? 

On 15/01/2021 at 18:32, Jram said:

In fairness, who knows what peak value is? They might not get much better and their youth means they’re sold for more now than five years time 

Will Hughes was class at 17 but did he get as much better as many of us expected? 

The knee injury took something out of his game for me.  Never quite the same but much better than a lot we have now.

Archived