Jason Knight

Jimbo Ram

8 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

30 million ? Is someone still continuing NY celebrations...that's half of what the club is being sold for at the moment, would be in the bracket of only c100 players that have moved into the PL for that amount and is 10m more than what Thiago moved to Liverpool for, or same as Le Cesso to Spurs, I could go on.

Somebody has to be having a giraffe here ?

Yes, everyone is getting a bit giddy after too many Lambrinis! 

We got Bielik for £10 million and he's a different class. 

Knight brings honest endeavour and a fantastic engine to any team, allowing those with more technical ability to do their stuff. 

He also helps disrupt the opposition and snuff out danger. 

He's an unsung hero but closer to £10m than £30m.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

30 million ? Is someone still continuing NY celebrations...that's half of what the club is being sold for at the moment, would be in the bracket of only c100 players that have moved into the PL for that amount and is 10m more than what Thiago moved to Liverpool for, or same as Le Cesso to Spurs, I could go on.

Somebody has to be having a giraffe here ?

Or Bellingham went to Dortmund from Birmingham City for? Or there abouts anyway.

4 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Or Bellingham went to Dortmund from Birmingham City for? Or there abouts anyway.

Good point, although he had been presented with young player of the year, was 25m and was the targets of Europe's big guns. We are taking Burnley, West Ham and another that is interested.

I mean I have seen him play, he is a good player, but seriously 30 million ?

4 hours ago, Gritty said:

Stadium sale 17/18.  Our current period is

1. 18/19 (massive loss)

2. 19/20 (unknown as we refuse to publish accounts but we had large write offs so expect a large loss)

3. Average of 20/21 & 21/22 (average due to covid)

We very likely need to make a profit in 20/21 and 21/22 to offset losses before.That's why we trimmed squad

On better news, Palace and West Ham in for Jason Knight so we may now have a bidding war with Burnley. Given that £7mn to £8mn may now be possible I reckon.  But given above I suspect most won't be reinvested.

Close. It is actually:

1. 17/18 = +£7.207m
  2. 18/19 = -£31.517m (projected)
  3. 19/20 & 20/21 average

The 18/19 projection wouldn't have included income from the playoffs, and Lampard compensation (although this may fall into 19/20).
The average losses from 19/20 and 20/21 must be a £14.7m loss or less to avoid punishment.

Covid costs (lost revenue) are excluded for relevant periods. For 19/20, that will be approximately £2.5m, and 20/21 will be about £10m.

My estimates suggested we just about met the limits for the 2020 period by a few pennies. With the allowances made for the current period due to covid, we should be a few £million within limits.

As long as we revert to a 3 year P&S period for 21/22, we will comfortably meet those limits with the wage bill being much more sustainable now.
However, if covid issues push into next season as well and we're forced into sticking with a 4 year cycle then we're truly forked due to 18/19 and 19/20 combined losses likely exceeding £60m! It would probably mean we need a £45-50m profit in the 21/22 season. I can't see this being the case though, so nothing to worry about.

I like Knight, but I feel he has a lower ceiling than some of our other players. Equally, I would argue that his endeavor means he has a higher floor too. 

He's a better football player than Jeff Hendrick, that much is in no doubt in my mind. I think anything north of £10m would be a good fee for him, especially in this climate. We reportedly sold both Bogle and Lowe for less than that combined, so I won't hold my breath. 

If the takeover doesn't get completed, I could see him moving for £5-7m this window. 

Aren't Burnley going through their own takeover 'will they, won't they' circus at the moment?

At the risk of being called out by Nigel Pearson, I'm going to stick my head in the sand and pretend it's a lazy link because they've got history of buying from us - but also fully expect that he will go for far less than we could potentially get for him.

11 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Aren't Burnley going through their own takeover 'will they, won't they' circus at the moment?

At the risk of being called out by Nigel Pearson, I'm going to stick my head in the sand and pretend it's a lazy link because they've got history of buying from us - but also fully expect that he will go for far less than we could potentially get for him.

Burnley's takeover was completed on NYE.

Its sad but everyone has their price. I think we'd take 10-15 million.

Its possibly a similar situation to when we sold Lowe, with Buchanan as back up. Sibley and Knight aren't exactly the same type of player, but with the former struggling to get regular starts this season Knight leaving for a good fee would allow Sibley to play more of a role. 

5 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

To quote a great ex-ram, "the reality is", if we dont get the takover Jason Knight will probably be sold for whatever someone is willing to pay, ie: Will Hughes/Bogle type fees, rather than a Hendrick or Vydra type fee.

I still think we sold all of those far to cheaply 

You sell for what someone is willing to pay. It is just a simple market. Whilst we all hope for more, we could conceivably sell for less than 5m and be delighted with the business. As mentioned here, we have plenty of central midfielders and any income is good. The club has invested in the academy for exactly this purpose, selling players. We could argue promotion would release greater riches, but we have shown ourselves to be pretty poor in achieving that goal. So, selling occasional academy products, even for just 1m or 2m still works.

The one element which makes this more interesting is that we have more than one club mentioned, that completely changes it. All of a sudden competition for the player changes the sale price, so if genuine interest, we could get close to £10m due to a bidding war. This would still be largely based on clauses I suspect, given his age, max 6m now.

I think he is a great player and would love to keep him, but I understand the need to secure income when we can. Glance down the Academy Hall of Fame and you'll see it's a mixed bag, with not a great deal of income from them: https://www.dcfc.co.uk/page/academy-hall-of-fame

23 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I like Knight, but I feel he has a lower ceiling than some of our other players. Equally, I would argue that his endeavor means he has a higher floor too. 

He's a better football player than Jeff Hendrick, that much is in no doubt in my mind. I think anything north of £10m would be a good fee for him, especially in this climate. We reportedly sold both Bogle and Lowe for less than that combined, so I won't hold my breath. 

If the takeover doesn't get completed, I could see him moving for £5-7m this window. 

Aside from the bit about him being an obviously better footballer than Jeff Hendrick, I agree with everything in this.

Particularly the bit about having a lower ceiling but a higher floor.

Archived