Jason Knight

Jimbo Ram

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Topram said:

Can see this happening if so I think it’s another step towards relegation 

I agree if the takeover doesn't happen and I don't think it will, then to strengthen the team might need to sell him. Not happy with the situation but when you have no money not a lot else they can do. 

9 hours ago, Woodley Ram said:

Are the finances that bad?  We had FFP problems 2016/2017 which caused us problems for a 3 year cycle but we have lowered our outgoings so I don’t think that is an issue going forward.  Mel will not be spending at the moment but I don’t think we are desperate to sell to balance books or anything 

Stadium sale 17/18.  Our current period is

1. 18/19 (massive loss)

2. 19/20 (unknown as we refuse to publish accounts but we had large write offs so expect a large loss)

3. Average of 20/21 & 21/22 (average due to covid)

We very likely need to make a profit in 20/21 and 21/22 to offset losses before.That's why we trimmed squad

On better news, Palace and West Ham in for Jason Knight so we may now have a bidding war with Burnley. Given that £7mn to £8mn may now be possible I reckon.  But given above I suspect most won't be reinvested.

I'm pleased knights talent is recognised by other clubs and where the clubs players have been sold to bring in money for the club the new owners should have the money to say thanks for considering our players but instead we decided to tap up one of your clubs better players.

Derby for certain will be seeking to bring in quality players to get the club in the Premier league or else why buy the club.

There's no chance the new owners will want to sell the clubs best players, allowing relegation for the club having spent 60 million on buying the club.

The new owners will recognise other teams seeking bargains from players like Knight as 10 to 15 million would still be a bargain buy for his services

I cant see how ANY club in this league (other than those with parachute payments) can be making ANY money now because the grounds are closed - but they still have the overheads as they normally would. Therefore we have to sell to survive / bring in new players. Simple economics. If you start spending money you don't have you fall foul of FFP.

Of course premiership clubs will be interested - he is that good - that’s why a simple price tag of £30 million is a fair price and remember he is under contract for a while and he is a full international and any premiership club knows that they can’t just go a pick up players like him from around the world.

if we have any ambitions to get to the premiership then knight would be vital to that either with his contribution on the pitch ( try replacing him) or if we genuinely received a transfer fee of around £30 million and were able to reinvest that successfully in quality who actually perform for us. 
with his likening of Manchester United I assume that his objective is to sign for them, I can’t blame him for that and that should realise a proper transfer fee for us at Derby county if it were to happen which I can actually see happening.

he is our biggest hope currently for a huge return on our investment.

52 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Of course premiership clubs will be interested - he is that good - that’s why a simple price tag of £30 million is a fair price and remember he is under contract for a while and he is a full international and any premiership club knows that they can’t just go a pick up players like him from around the world.

if we have any ambitions to get to the premiership then knight would be vital to that either with his contribution on the pitch ( try replacing him) or if we genuinely received a transfer fee of around £30 million and were able to reinvest that successfully in quality who actually perform for us. 
with his likening of Manchester United I assume that his objective is to sign for them, I can’t blame him for that and that should realise a proper transfer fee for us at Derby county if it were to happen which I can actually see happening.

he is our biggest hope currently for a huge return on our investment.

It's funny because your valuation of 30 million sounds absolutely ludicrous, but if Knight was being sold by Brentford, Bristol City even Peterborough, his value would automatically be north of 10 million.

Knight really is THAT good in my eyes and I hope we hold firm and say to clubs, if you want him you pay for him.

2 hours ago, Oldben said:

I'm pleased knights talent is recognised by other clubs and where the clubs players have been sold to bring in money for the club the new owners should have the money to say thanks for considering our players but instead we decided to tap up one of your clubs better players.

Derby for certain will be seeking to bring in quality players to get the club in the Premier league or else why buy the club.

There's no chance the new owners will want to sell the clubs best players, allowing relegation for the club having spent 60 million on buying the club.

The new owners will recognise other teams seeking bargains from players like Knight as 10 to 15 million would still be a bargain buy for his services

You mention "the new owners" alot,  do you know something we don't 

To sell Jason Knight right now would be a massive massive loss. Would genuinely threaten our ability to stay up. He wins us a shed load of free kicks to relieve the pressure and he can play every single game for 90+ minutes.

Who have we got that can replace his attacking drive and defensive duties? Sibley is great at going forwards but would be a liability defensively with his aggressive play and anger issues, he'd be targeted by opposition players. Bird hasn't got the burst of pace and likes to sit back to dictate play. Holmes seems on his way out and Watson seems to be more of a 10. 

Knight is an old school dynamic box-to-box midfielder, really rare nowadays.

2 hours ago, Oldben said:

Unfortunately it's all about balancing the books, no doubt we're close to (if not over) the line again with FFP, so any new 'rich' owners still can't spend what they want to buy us out of the league.

On a tangent - does anyone else think that 'Mel's amortization loophole' may have actually done much more harm than good. Maybe we should launch a lawsuit against Gibson claiming Boro were at an advantage by not using our self punishing policy???

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

It's funny because your valuation of 30 million sounds absolutely ludicrous, but if Knight was being sold by Brentford, Bristol City even Peterborough, his value would automatically be north of 10 million.

Knight really is THAT good in my eyes and I hope we hold firm and say to clubs, if you want him you pay for him.

Not ridiculous when you look what premiership clubs pay for youngsters from other leagues across the world 

he is worth that figure in my opinion

Just now, Sparkle said:

Not ridiculous when you look what premiership clubs pay for youngsters from other leagues across the world 

he is worth that figure in my opinion

Totally agree, your suggestion wasnt ridiculous, more the idea of one of our young lads being worth that much.

But imo, he really is worth every bit as much as Jude Bellingham was. Jason Knight has everything and he isnt a player who needs to improve his game (such as other youngsters silly tackles), he is a fantastic player and will only get better and better.

Don't want to sell him but financially we may want or need to. That said he's genuine PL quality, a full international and one who will get better and better. He should be priced accordingly; minimum £20m IMO, with a sell on clause. If he was at the likes of Brentford that's what they'd get for him.  Knowing Derby they'll let him go for £6m or something ridiculous like that.  

12 hours ago, Woodley Ram said:

Are the finances that bad?  We had FFP problems 2016/2017 which caused us problems for a 3 year cycle but we have lowered our outgoings so I don’t think that is an issue going forward.  Mel will not be spending at the moment but I don’t think we are desperate to sell to balance books or anything 

Not sure but with the chairman losing money through Derby County all the time, especially in COVID times, we will probably accept a much lower fee than fans would expect unfortunately. I think 2nd tier clubs won’t be able to hold off Premier League clubs in for players at other times but especially now, if a club bids close to £10m for him I think we would accept. At the moment, it’s just rumours anyway though and we have a longish contract for him I think. 

30 million ? Is someone still continuing NY celebrations...that's half of what the club is being sold for at the moment, would be in the bracket of only c100 players that have moved into the PL for that amount and is 10m more than what Thiago moved to Liverpool for, or same as Le Cesso to Spurs, I could go on.

Somebody has to be having a giraffe here ?

Archived