Derby Fail to Pay Players On Time (Again)

DarkFruitsRam7

Just now, Grumpy Git said:

But the reason it has happened is because the bank account is empty.

Totally unavoidable and shameless.

The club is being sold. I don't know the inner workings of the deal, what has been agreed and the timeline.

I do know the club is losing money, that is no secret, was Mel transferring money in each month to cover the losses and the wage bill,  could be an agreement that the new owners was to pay the wages for this month, again, I don't know this, just throwing out a possibility, an unforeseen delay over the festive period be it with the banks, or lawyers has seen the players advised they "may" be paid a little late. 

Could it been avoided by flying Mel and his lawyers out to Abu Dhabi, being locked in a room with the new owners and their lawyers and thrashing out the paperwork and transferring funds, maybe, but I honestly don't know the process or what the delay was.

It's clearly a complex deal with many people involved and not as straight forward as some think and for all we know they could all have the money in their banks now or first thing Saturday morning.

If we're sat here with players owed months worth of wages for no apparent reason, I would be majorly concerned and on this shameless train of thought as you, but we're not there and this is an entirely different situation.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Difference is one is done proactively, one is reactive. Try not paying the mortgage company without taking a payment break.

If you ever think your life is meaningless and nobody would care if you weren't here, try missing a mortgage payment.

Right, but Stephen Pearce wrote to the players to give them advance warning so IF this was a situation, the player in question could act proactively. I feel like we're creating scenarios which may not exist when for all we know the players could have been paid today and Percy hasn't been updated to let us all know.

See my post from earlier this year

"The Sheik's company was being sued for breach of contract by Pinsent Masons his lawyers, contract law is quite specific and "can't be arsed to pay" is not covered under contract law, furthermore the Sheik's company has evidently already lost the case with the high court issuing a judgement..."

8 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Difference is one is done proactively, one is reactive. Try not paying the mortgage company without taking a payment break.

If you ever think your life is meaningless and nobody would care if you weren't here, try missing a mortgage payment.

Council tax is the best one.  Kept sending me threatening letters for three weeks even though I'd sent the BACS  documentation proving I'd paid it. Not even an apology.  Had the same for a parking notice having strayed a foot into a bus lane dropping someone off at the train station- 3 bloody months of misery after I'd paid the £80 the day I got the notice.

3 minutes ago, Asheville Ram said:

See my post from earlier this year

"The Sheik's company was being sued for breach of contract by Pinsent Masons his lawyers, contract law is quite specific and "can't be arsed to pay" is not covered under contract law, furthermore the Sheik's company has evidently already lost the case with the high court issuing a judgement..."

They don't give a flying fook about high court judgements in AD.

1 hour ago, David said:

Which has been a 6 month process has it not?

Few issues here, lack of patience, wanting to know what’s going on and no experience of ever selling a football club to know the ins and outs of a transaction this size. 

Even down to the players potentially being paid late, I mean we don’t actually know if they have been paid late, the snippet of the later was simply warning the players of the possibility. 

I just find it bizarre that this is being labelled a shambles, calling both sides unprofessional. 

It’s almost like we go through life with no hiccups to our plans, no delays, everything runs smoothly like clockwork and shame on you everyone else that can’t live up to our standards.

I mean jeez, come on, if anyone on here has ever sold a football club of this size, speak up, educate me if I’m speaking out of turn here, educate us all as right now this looks like nothing more than a standard Derby County fans overreaction to a minor delay. 

Oh and has anyone stopped to ask those that are affected by this if they have an issue with potentially being paid a few days late, I mean what if they are ok with this, understand these things happen? 

Sorry @Rampage, none of this is aimed at you, just seeing some of the replies in here, the other topic and Twitter. Everything has to be dramatised and calling out people for being incompetent. 

It’s New Year’s Eve, crack a drink open and say goodbye to what has been a disaster of a year. 

Also @DarkFruitsRam7 this is what you call defending all parties involved in this, sending me bananas reading this stuff, had to let off a little.

Off to take my own advice and crack open a beer, but earlier than I would like and if I’m asleep by midnight I’m blaming you lot (some of you lot)

I agree with you, David. You have been a very good leader in these difficult times. I firmly believe that we will be taken over and pretty much always have been to my knowledge. We are all anxious for this to go ahead and usher in a great future for Derby County. The statement about Burnley was just stating a fact that I learnt. It has no bearing in our situation. Fantastic football is with us again. Woohoo.

2 minutes ago, Rampage said:

David. You have been a very good leader in these difficult times.

Well thats a lie, I've taken more time away than ever these past few months. If you want to compliment anyone for the forum, direct it towards the moderators. 

Not the kind of news that you want to read about your club, if players aren't getting paid on time then it's bound to be a worry no matter what the circumstances are.

I don't see what the potential buyers would gain by continually going into one club after another and then pulling out, losing money and damaged reputation for what ? On the down side though, this is a big multi million pound deal, with by all accounts several investors, therefore only takes one and the whole thing can collapse. 

2 hours ago, Ramarena said:

Mel runs it hence why I referenced him as a means to differentiate between the two groups.

Mels Derby won’t pay (despite being contractually obliged) until either:

A) the takeover collapses 

B) an agreement is made for mels Derby to pay to tide the gap till the admin is complete and Derventio can start paying.

Mels Derby is contractually obliged to pay the players and I’m sure they will if  the takeover collapses.

However Derventio’s delay looks to be causing the problem from the info we have here.

It’s not necessarily ability to pay. Would you pay a wagebill that wasn’t necessarily your responsibility without finding out if the other party was in a position to pay or not?

To answer your last question, yes but not from my own money (Mels). Club I’m sure have access to short term overdraft facilities and so on unless we really are in dire straits.

Let's hope it doesn't drag on into next week or beyond.

Clubs in default of payments to players will ordinarily be subject to an embargo. The EFL does recognise there are cases where payment may well be in dispute, but expects the matter to have been referred to a Player Related Dispute Commission in accordance with Regulation 73 for resolution to avoid the imposition of the embargo.

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/section-6---players/

9 minutes ago, angieram said:

I think a players' salary bill is far in excess of a normal payroll. That's a lot of 'loose change' for Mel to stump up on the off-chance if he had been assured the transaction would be completed in time.

It's very simple in my view. Whoever is currently in control of the club, regardless of anything else, is obliged to pay the staff. All of the staff. 

If that is currently Mel then he should have sorted it. 

3 hours ago, Red Ram said:

Until the deal goes through it's Morris's club and therefore Morris's responsibility.

This! 100% right. 
You can’t blame the new owners. They may or may not turn out to be great owners, but they are not to blame here. 

4 minutes ago, Rev said:

Let's hope it doesn't drag on into next week or beyond.

Clubs in default of payments to players will ordinarily be subject to an embargo. The EFL does recognise there are cases where payment may well be in dispute, but expects the matter to have been referred to a Player Related Dispute Commission in accordance with Regulation 73 for resolution to avoid the imposition of the embargo.

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/section-6---players/

Worth mentioning the embargo is only until the payment has been made.

Which ever way you dress it up it is very unprofessional not to pay employees on time.

If the delay in payment is due to agreed funds to complete the deal not materialising at an agreed date and time then that for me leaves a very bad taste in the mouth and serious doubts about the integrity of our potential new owners. 

Mel said he would only sell to someone who could take the club forward. I hope that still holds true. 

10 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

It's not Mel coming good though. It's Mel rectifying a dropped baalocks. Once is careless, twice is incompetence. 

You don't know that.

If I said to you "No, No, It's my round", would you assume I'd pay for the drinks?  If I then ordered all the drinks, before realising I had forgotten to nip to the cashpoint/lost my wallet etc, I'm sure you'd chip in, because you're a good egg... but you wouldn't be obliged to, seeing as it was my responsibility! 

PS:
You now owe me a pint... I think?  ??

3 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

I was wondering this. How did Percy get hold of this information ? Did it come from someone at the club or the club’s bank ?

This actually bothers me more than the late payment to be honest. If it turns out the information came from someone at the club when we’re trying to build a feelgood factor they need rooting out and removed in my opinion.

Get detective Coleen on the case...

Archived