Derby Fail to Pay Players On Time (Again)

DarkFruitsRam7

2 hours ago, CBRammette said:

Whether you have sympathy and wouldnt stand outside their houses with a violin  is irrelevant as they are legally required to be paid

Actually it's not a legal requirement. It's contractual yes and breach of contract but not illegal. 

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Top Players could get endorsements from other companies and that’s easier to ‘hide’. I guess (and it is only a guess) that a player could set up a company in a tax haven (Jersey) and then that company is paid in Jersey where very little tax is paid. That company then buys a Private Yacht which the footballer than uses.

Players at Derby will be paid through PAYE hence tax is paid.

This was very public a few months ago during the pandemic as a lot of the TV money, ultimately ends up back with the taxman.

Anyway I’m off to play my ?

Send a bit of recording in, Rammieb

3 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

You should get the contracted pay at the agreed date of payment.  However, the average first team Derby County footballer could buy the average 3-4 bed house in a very good area with  the best car to go on the drive with 6 months wages. Let's not forget the lovely signing on fee if the club cashs in, the player does as well, they won't leave unless they benefit.  I wouldn't concern yourself too much. 

Of course. Mortgage and Car are the only life expenses required. I forgot that ?

Forget they’re taxed at 40%. Forget their retired at 35 (even if they’re fortunate enough to get there). Forget they have to have things paid off in 10 years while they can earn. 

I mean let’s be honest none of us cut our cloth to suit and manage to lose up our outgoings to suit our income do we...why would footballers they just aren’t normal people at all are they. 

Ignore also that irrespective of that they are contracted to be paid for their jobs and their employers entered into that contract willingly.

Ignore also this most likely affects 23s who probably earn no more than you or me, and have rent to find and their first credit rating car finance and car insurance.....oh and btw car insurance for a 19 year old footballer can run into thousands for a 1.4 Peugeot!!!

Na let’s just believe in the stereotypical footballers earns millions and live in mansions with thousands stashed under the bed ready for when they want some bling or their millionaire employers can’t manage to pay them on time.

I keep getting this vision of Mel going cap in hand to our Wayne, asking to borrow a few mill for a couple of weeks, "So I can pay the players until this takeover is sorted". 
Our Wayne going "Yeah mate.  Not a problem.  How many mill are we talkin'?  What's your account details?  I'll do it now, on my mobile."

A ridiculous vision, I know, but it makes me smile!  

4 hours ago, Ken Tram said:

The potential effect upon the motivation and morale of the players - after not getting paid on time - might friend upon whether they believe that their salaries are genuinely justified.

If they believe that their salary is genuinely justified, then they might be annoyed and not perform (or even refuse to go to work).

If they appreciate that they work in some sort of bizarre bubble that pays astronomical wages, then they may be flexible about the late pay. (Someone wrote that last time this happened we got 10 out of 15 points, or something, so, hopefully, it won't affect the players.)

13 OUT OF 18

50 minutes ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

Of course. Mortgage and Car are the only life expenses required. I forgot that ?

Forget they’re taxed at 40%. Forget their retired at 35 (even if they’re fortunate enough to get there). Forget they have to have things paid off in 10 years while they can earn. 

I mean let’s be honest none of us cut our cloth to suit and manage to lose up our outgoings to suit our income do we...why would footballers they just aren’t normal people at all are they. 

Ignore also that irrespective of that they are contracted to be paid for their jobs and their employers entered into that contract willingly.

Ignore also this most likely affects 23s who probably earn no more than you or me, and have rent to find and their first credit rating car finance and car insurance.....oh and btw car insurance for a 19 year old footballer can run into thousands for a 1.4 Peugeot!!!

Na let’s just believe in the stereotypical footballers earns millions and live in mansions with thousands stashed under the bed ready for when they want some bling or their millionaire employers can’t manage to pay them on time.

I said they should be paid on time. I said average first team footballer.  I've also explained that most footballers as most people will look to offset parts of there income to pay less tax. Not all tax is paid at 40% anyway. You have a 20% bracket plus allowance reduced by income over 100k . I never once said a house and car are the only outgoings - make up a large chunk though you'll find. The majority of your post is rambling tosh with no relevance to anything i've said.

1 minute ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I said they should be paid on time. I said average first team footballer.  I've also explained that most footballers as most people will look to offset parts of there income to pay less tax. Not all tax is paid at 40% anyway. You have a 20% bracket plus allowance reduced by income over 100k . I never once said a house and car are the only outgoings - make up a large chunk though you'll find. The majority of your post is rambling tosh with no relevance to anything i've said.

The only relevant point is that, despite your opinion that footballers earn so much money that missing a months pay shouldn’t matter to them, that they are in fact under contract and have outgoings and lifestyles that are in line with what they earn and this is all relative in respect that it will be a damaging to them morally, financially and ethically as it would be to the guy in the factory earning minimum wage. 

Especially if you consider, like I have pointed out, that the most likely players affected by this will be u23s who have rent and finance arrangements while earning relatively small wages more in line with your average man on the street. Probably for the first time in their lives and probably in their first job with no ability to have saved mo eh to see them by .

All of this is irrelevant of course if people could just refrain from the “oh those poor millionaire footballers” and accept not paying someone what they are entitled to be paid under their contract of employment is unethical and bad form from anyone let alone a multi million pound industry / business or multi millionaire businessmen / women.

Just now, Ravabeerbelly said:

The only relevant point is that, despite your opinion that footballers earn so much money that missing a months pay shouldn’t matter to them, that they are in fact under contract and have outgoings and lifestyles that are in line with what they earn and this is all relative in respect that it will be a damaging to them morally, financially and ethically as it would be to the guy in the factory earning minimum wage. 

Especially if you consider, like I have pointed out, that the most likely players affected by this will be u23s who have rent and finance arrangements while earning relatively small wages more in line with your average man on the street. Probably for the first time in their lives and probably in their first job with no ability to have saved mo eh to see them by .

All of this is irrelevant of course if people could just refrain from the “oh those poor millionaire footballers” and accept not paying someone what they are entitled to be paid under their contract of employment is unethical and bad form from anyone let alone a multi million pound industry / business or multi millionaire businessmen / women.

We could go round with this.  I stated in my post from the off as employees they should be paid on time.  I stick by my point someone on that level of salary won't be destitute missing a wage for a few days. I didn't mention reserves I mentioned players in the 1st team .  

Then I bow to your superior knowledge on who it affected. 

I don’t think anyone risks destitution missing one months pay packet but I maintain that the level of inconvenience, annoyance and distraction to the job is consistent regardless of income simply due to the fact that income / outgoings / expendable income is relative and no easier for anyone affected.

The fake “poor millionaire footballer” line like they aren’t real / normal people affected by real / normal life issues gets my goat to be honest and is up there with the ignorant ******** I hear with the “how can he be depressed when he earns £50k a week” some spout. 

6 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Some do. The ones that don’t are written by lawyers 

I looked up the definition of remmitance, and it means "money sent", so the statement could have more clearly read "the buyers say that they have sent the money to their lawyers, but that it hasn't arrived yet".

Saying that the buyers have sent three money to the lawyers sounds much better than it having been remitted - at least, to people unfamiliar with the practice of remittingnousnessalocity.

On 31/12/2020 at 14:29, David said:

Before people freak. Stephen Pearce wrote to the players....

“On behalf of Derby County Football Club, Mel Morris, and prospective new owners Derventio Holdings, we collectively apologise, that due to an unexpected and last minute delay in the closing of the sale transaction, that your December pay will most likely be delayed until next week.

“We have been assured by Derventio that the closing funds have been remitted, but as at this morning they had not arrived in their lawyer’s client account.

“As soon as they arrive, the transaction will close and we will process any outstanding payroll amounts immediately.”

The cheques in the post.....honest

26 minutes ago, europia said:

The cheques in the post.....honest

And that's the nub of the matter.

I cannot help but feel that "remittance" can hide several scenarios - whereas, "The dosh has been sent to the lawyers," is so much less ambiguous.

And, if the purpose of the statement was to provide reassurance, why not make make it as clear as possible?

Poor Mel!

Sith Happens
2 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

It would be nice if whoever leaked this story will be as quick to confirm when they have been paid but I bet there won’t be 12 pages about that.

always the same,  how many people have suffered at the hands of the media y being plastered on the front page only for a 1 paragraph apology hidden on page 15 when it was proved to be untrue. 

11 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

always the same,  how many people have suffered at the hands of the media y being plastered on the front page only for a 1 paragraph apology hidden on page 15 when it was proved to be untrue. 

I would be very surprised if the leak didn't come from Mel. He would have known that it would come out, so he got his side out via his tame journo before that happened. 

On 01/01/2021 at 08:20, Rev said:

Even saints are at it.

They’re all at it, it’s standard in the footballing landscape of the top two divisions at least.

Setting up separate image rights companies has become the norm, to be honest you can see why as it gives them more transparency to have an official company managing the image rights than being channeled through an individual.

You’d be surprised how many players even in this division and for how long. HMRC took Bergkamp and Platt to court over their arrangements way back when!

In the eyes of the law their isn’t a problem........real problems are the financial shananigans around the company, such as loans to directors to avoid tax, use of tax havens, deliberate over valuation of the rights to compress the salary which is paid at a higher tax rate, etc!

Archived