Derby Fail to Pay Players On Time (Again)

DarkFruitsRam7

I've dealt with corporate transactions in the financial services space and the usual practice is to pay a sum based on the financial information that you have to hand, then allow for an "adjustment " (which could be up or down) depending on how the next set of accounts look.

The trade sale price would have been set by reference to an audited balance sheet plus various cash flow forecasts.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, superzak said:

I'm sure the poor playing staff on their thousands a week will cope for a month. 

4 hours ago, Gritstone Ram said:

I’m so concerned could someone let me know when they get their next £20k + for the month while I live off peanuts.

Incredible. Simply lost for words that people think this is an ok response.

a) it’s simply not the point how much they earn.

b) who’s to say it’s not younger players on a bare minimum with rent to pay, car to pay, insurance to pay....

Not to mention that even if it is players on £20k a month they’ll have financial commitments to suit that just line anyone else.

Ignorant.

7 hours ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

Incredible. Simply lost for words that people think this is an ok response.

a) it’s simply not the point how much they earn.

b) who’s to say it’s not younger players on a bare minimum with rent to pay, car to pay, insurance to pay....

Not to mention that even if it is players on £20k a month they’ll have financial commitments to suit that just line anyone else.

Ignorant.

Who cares what you think

19 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

How did you cope? I suppose you just had to plod on. ?

Guess he needed to keep the job - it was better than just walking the streets..

42 minutes ago, ossieram said:

At 10 grand a week,  yes please.

Then load yourself up to the hilt with a massive mortgage spread over 10 years because you know at best, that’ll be how long you have a job for....if you are very very lucky.....then accept that you probably won’t even live in that house for more than a year or two because it’s very likely at some point the club will decide to release you or cash in and sell you.....all at their convenience not yours....and you’ll have to move, rent it or sell it, or at least make sure it’s not sitting empty costing you....so you may end up with rent and a mortgage or two mortgages....

Then see how missing a months wages hurts you....

1 hour ago, oomarkwright said:

Can we organise a whip round for the player's? I don't want some of them to fall into poverty at this critical time of the year. 

It’s disrespectful to the players. When this happened under Pickering, Danny higginbotham claimed breach of contract and demanded a free transfer. We don’t want to risk losing players or pissing them off. We have a good group. We’re not too far away from building something.

7 minutes ago, RamNut said:

It’s disrespectful to the players. When this happened under Pickering, Danny higginbotham claimed breach of contract and demanded a free transfer. We don’t want to risk losing players or pissing them off. We have a good group. We’re not too far away from building something.

This. I've already posted that Derby as an employer have breached the contracts of all of their players by not paying them on time. 

Whether any of them then progresses this matter now is their prerogative but the bare facts are the club have now given them the opportunity to do this if they so wished.  They could sue Derby for late payment charges for mortgage payments or car leasing fees for example or even worse try to claim that their contract is now null and void.

If Morris has used this as a kick up the bum to the potential new investors then it's a very dangerous game to play.

32 minutes ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

Then load yourself up to the hilt with a massive mortgage spread over 10 years because you know at best, that’ll be how long you have a job for....if you are very very lucky.....then accept that you probably won’t even live in that house for more than a year or two because it’s very likely at some point the club will decide to release you or cash in and sell you.....all at their convenience not yours....and you’ll have to move, rent it or sell it, or at least make sure it’s not sitting empty costing you....so you may end up with rent and a mortgage or two mortgages....

Are you Ikechi Anya?

27 minutes ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

You should get the contracted pay at the agreed date of payment.  However, the average first team Derby County footballer could buy the average 3-4 bed house in a very good area with  the best car to go on the drive with 6 months wages. Let's not forget the lovely signing on fee if the club cashs in, the player does as well, they won't leave unless they benefit.  I wouldn't concern yourself too much. 

18 hours ago, David said:
18 hours ago, Rev said:

Let's hope it doesn't drag on into next week or beyond.

Clubs in default of payments to players will ordinarily be subject to an embargo. The EFL does recognise there are cases where payment may well be in dispute, but expects the matter to have been referred to a Player Related Dispute Commission in accordance with Regulation 73 for resolution to avoid the imposition of the embargo.

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/section-6---players/

Expand  

Worth mentioning the embargo is only until the payment has been made.

This situation must surely shift potential players towards other clubs (even if only slightly), if other clubs offer greater certainty.

3 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

Probably already been sorted ,I'd hope we haven't got any players that would seek to take the matter further unless it has caused a major financial issue. 

Exactly. This is probably a hiccup and you can see why it could very easily happen in this sort of situation

SM and WR will have calmed down the players im sure. 

Why can’t we all be more positive? The fact that Derventio told the club the cash is on the way indicates the takeover is done and dusted. That’s the only way to explain it.  That’s the big takeaway from this and we should all be delighted 

The potential effect upon the motivation and morale of the players - after not getting paid on time - might friend upon whether they believe that their salaries are genuinely justified.

If they believe that their salary is genuinely justified, then they might be annoyed and not perform (or even refuse to go to work).

If they appreciate that they work in some sort of bizarre bubble that pays astronomical wages, then they may be flexible about the late pay. (Someone wrote that last time this happened we got 10 out of 15 points, or something, so, hopefully, it won't affect the players.)

2 hours ago, oomarkwright said:

Can we organise a whip round for the player's? I don't want some of them to fall into poverty at this critical time of the year. 

Yes, I'll donate my season ticket refund. 

Oops, hang on a minute .......

Archived