Would we miss Waghorn.....

Poynton ram

40 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

I like Wags but he is 31 this month and can talk to other teams now. I am sure like Chris Martin he would like a 3 year deal. It’s a shame our academy can’t produce a striker , or a scout spot one in a lower league.

Mason Bennett ?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Newest topic I could see about Waghorn...but does Rooney actually rate his contribution in matches or does he just feel like he’s the best of a bad bunch?

I get dropping Jozwiak tonight as he’s played a lot and started to tail off...but Waghorn has been worse.

I’ll be intrigued to see if he keeps his place in the team once Lawrence is fit.

In others words...he still hasn’t done anything in the last 2 months for me to say he should stay beyond this season. 

For the record I’ve never liked ‘wingers’ but Christ we’re short of quality; Waggy, Lawrence, Kamil, Roberts, Ibe(?), every single one of them frustrates the hell out of me. 

Argument could be made that if any of the above were consistent then they wouldn’t be playing for us. 

No.

We could probably get better scouting non league.  That's serious. Some the better strikers we've had at this level- Gee was a decorator Howard was a welder, Davision worked in the shipyards, Christie was a shelf stacker going back to Roger Davies  All of them played at decent level in non league before becoming professionals.

Kevin phillips worked in a chicken factory. Ian Wright was non league till he was 23. Gregory and Vardy played non league together at Fleetwood, so gems can still be found.

We need goals next season and you get a bargain up front if you get out there and look. We need to as I don't think well have 7 or 8 million for a striker or ability to cover big loan fees.  There normally the hardest working players in the side as well.

2 hours ago, Taribo said:

For the record I’ve never liked ‘wingers’ but Christ we’re short of quality; Waggy, Lawrence, Kamil, Roberts, Ibe(?), every single one of them frustrates the hell out of me. 

Argument could be made that if any of the above were consistent then they wouldn’t be playing for us. 

When you say we're short of quality but then consider the combined transfer fees of Waghorn, Lawrence and Jozwiak are over ten million quid there's something deeply disturbing in there. 

On 30/12/2020 at 16:17, Poynton ram said:

With Sibley stepping up last night how big a miss is Waghorn? Out of contract in the summer if someone came in with a reasonable bid would you offload him or is he still a key part of the squad?

To be fair I think he has contributed this season and not just with his sublime free kicks but if he is being paid what has been rumoured is it time to move him on?

Based on current form, not at all. In fact we'd be better off without him. The only contributions he's made all season are the odd set piece delivery, and an early red card v Preston. That's it.  If we can get a replacement then move him on, but when the loan players leave and those out of contract go, we barely have a squad left to choose. 

Depends which Waggy. The Waggy of this season, we don’t need him. The Waggy we saw in his first two seasons, he’s useful. Overall he’s been a good solid signing, we just paid massively over the odds for him. If we had paid what we paid for Jozwiak we would be saying decent return. Always puts a shift in, honest player, good character but unfortunately can’t tackle and has let himself down a couple of times in the past 12 months with a couple of red cards as a result.

He is on the wing at the moment, yet has no pace, can't beat a man and his crossing is beyond appalling. He doesn't track back that effectively either and his tackling is pretty terrible too. 

He can be trusted to do the simple passing at times, positionally he is decent, he is good in the air, he will put himself about and gets into dangerous positions. 

The issue is the options for whoever takes his place (Lawrence, Jozwiak, Roberts, Knight ) are really frustrating or not really that effective either. They are more likely to just run headless into traffic or take pot shots or just drift out of the game or are better suited elsewhere.

If we get someone firing in his position great but no one has really knocked down the door and been considerably more effective. 

Archived