Would we miss Waghorn.....

Poynton ram

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like him, would need to be a decent offer for me for him to move and depends who we bring in come January. Definitely a championship player though. 

Just a point on Sibley. He played the lines well against brum, but it really wasn't a wingers performance, more of a second striker/ right sided attacker. I think that different type of role in the forward line helped us massively.  

59 minutes ago, Shaftesbury Street said:

I really like him, would need to be a decent offer for me for him to move and depends who we bring in come January. Definitely a championship player though. 

Just a point on Sibley. He played the lines well against brum, but it really wasn't a wingers performance, more of a second striker/ right sided attacker. I think that different type of role in the forward line helped us massively.  

By design. Both wide players playing tucked in in more of an attacking midfield type position to get more support to CKR. For Louie, if he can adapt to this role rather than being just being behind the striker then it should be hugely beneficial to him and the team. Much easier to get the ball to him in more space in the role he played vs. Birmingham.

I like waggy on the right hand side. Works hard for the team. Its a squad game & we need him. Sibley & jozwiak were very good against Birmingham but unless we can replace Waghorn we need to keep him. We lack senior pro's. Just have to look at our bench on a match day its full of under 18s & under 23s. 

41 minutes ago, Dordogne-Ram said:

Waghorn - keep

Lawrence - not a team player -out

Why are you giving Waghorn a pass for being a team player when he's twice in a few months put pathetic, selfish, stupid tackles in to get himself sent off, yet Lawrence is being singled out?

Waggy has reached his ceiling, we know exactly what we are gonna get from him, hard work and endeavour, maybe the odd goal, but also misplaced passes, mistimed tackles, missed golden opportunities and wrong decision making at crucial times

Sibley already works hard and has plenty of endeavour, but with game time his decision making, finishing and all round play will just get better and better, making him far more effective than Waggy, 

1 hour ago, Dordogne-Ram said:

Waghorn - keep

Lawrence - not a team player -out

Ibe - health issues apart, not a team player- out

Marriott - who?

Rooney is setting his stall out : perform, perform within a team framework then you might get be selected for the next game.

Might be an interesting transfer window?

Not sure how Ibe is construed as not being a team player if he's never played in our team yet....

We would miss him. 

When you take FFP into consideration and how the accounts are done, to write off a £5m player and then try and replace him, not sure we’re in the position to do that.

He will get a new contract, I’m sure of it, but if a bid of say £3m ish + came in for him afterwards, I could see us maybe taking that considering his age.

Let’s be honest, he’s not one of the first names on the team sheet at the minute, but does appear to be a well liked character around the club going by Instagram stories the players put out. Johnny Russell type as an example which somewhat mirrors him on the pitch as well, believes he’s a number 9, but really isn’t, grafter that struggles to beat a man but will put a shift in for you.

Sometimes it’s worth keeping those around if you can give them enough game time to keep their morale up, rather than chucking in another face as a squad player that might not gel with the others as well. 

45 minutes ago, BriggRam said:

Waggy has reached his ceiling, we know exactly what we are gonna get from him, hard work and endeavour, maybe the odd goal, but also misplaced passes, mistimed tackles, missed golden opportunities and wrong decision making at crucial times

Sibley already works hard and has plenty of endeavour, but with game time his decision making, finishing and all round play will just get better and better, making him far more effective than Waggy, 

100%. 

1 hour ago, David said:

When you take FFP into consideration and how the accounts are done, to write off a £5m player and then try and replace him, not sure we’re in the position to do that.

You're right in that if we sold him in more normal times for 1m where he had a 5m book value we would take a 4m FFP hit.  However with revenues being hit hard by Covid, the temporary FFP rules allow for the knock on effect of reduced player values to be taken into account and it would seem we can write off the 4m loss against Covid and it won't effect FFP.

This means that instead of dancing around FFP we can take a more 'business orientated' approach. i.e. Would we prefer 1m to reinvest in new players and potentially reduce the wage bill in the process?

keep him as a backup as he's a solid player for this level but he should be moving away from a guaranteed first team position now. He works hard and will grab a few goals over the season to pitch in and contribute which is useful and he seems to be a good influence around the club. If we were looking at players to ship out Marriott and Lawrence would be first on my radar rather than Waghorn.

1 hour ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

You're right in that if we sold him in more normal times for 1m where he had a 5m book value we would take a 4m FFP hit.  However with revenues being hit hard by Covid, the temporary FFP rules allow for the knock on effect of reduced player values to be taken into account and it would seem we can write off the 4m loss against Covid and it won't effect FFP.

This means that instead of dancing around FFP we can take a more 'business orientated' approach. i.e. Would we prefer 1m to reinvest in new players and potentially reduce the wage bill in the process?

I don’t see many clubs spending money in January, no revenue for the best part of a year, you have Sheff Wed admitting they can’t make assurances players wages will be paid in the future.  

Do you see bids being made for a player that would be available for free in a few months?

36 minutes ago, David said:

I don’t see many clubs spending money in January, no revenue for the best part of a year, you have Sheff Wed admitting they can’t make assurances players wages will be paid in the future.  

Do you see bids being made for a player that would be available for free in a few months?

After enduring the saga of the Chansiri press conference, I'd point out that despite not guaranteeing being able to pay players wages going forwards, he also indicated that offers have been made for several players.

He also indicated that Marriott is still in their plans.

Why anyone would join a club that can't guarantee their wages is another matter though.

I like Wags but he is 31 this month and can talk to other teams now. I am sure like Chris Martin he would like a 3 year deal. He won’t get it with us so it looks like club  no 10 for him, if it’s not already set up.                      It’s a shame our academy can’t produce a striker , or a scout spot one in a lower league.

Archived