Would we miss Waghorn.....

Poynton ram

With Sibley stepping up last night how big a miss is Waghorn? Out of contract in the summer if someone came in with a reasonable bid would you offload him or is he still a key part of the squad?

To be fair I think he has contributed this season and not just with his sublime free kicks but if he is being paid what has been rumoured is it time to move him on?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If someone came in with a reasonable bid, you’d take it because under ffp you have to recover as much as you can of what you spend.

but we need some senior pros and Waghorn has been pretty good overall.
We have no other option for no9 if CKR gets injured. 

I expect him to get offered an extension to his contract.

With Sibley's performance last night, I'm thinking that Waghorn's sending off may be one of those 'fate' moments ..... added to Lawrence's extended injury.

It's finally given Sibley a chance to show what he can do as a starter - what was it last night, 4 shots on target by him ? numbers that Waghorn or Lawrence don't produce.

I suspect Waghorn, Lawrence and Marriott are all in a similar position in terms of being available if an offer comes in.

Their combined wages are likely to be in the region of 70k per week and in the current climate I don’t think we can turn down the chance to reduce that figure.

I think we’re also able to write down any FFP losses from their sales against Covid?

It also gives us a chance to reshape our forward line using thriftier replacements.

First of all I like Waggy. He is a heart on sleeve player who gives his all.

I don't think he is quite as good as I thought he was when he came. Is his star waning ? daft tackles don't help,  but that doesn't alter the fact that he is a useful covering attacker who can do a reasonable job wherever you put him. I think Waggy's problem is that he is "quite" good at "quite" a lot but doesn't excel at anything. Free kicks apart I also think his form hasn't been great either before or after injury. ...

For me, good to have around but right now he isn't first choice. With such a short length remaining on his contract and no alternative to Colin, I don't see him being sold unless we get someone in. The young ones from the academy may be the answer but if we recognise it has taken 18 months for Jason Knight to be a recognised force then for me .. give him another year.

Where has there been any rumours about his pay? He’s never really played anywhere in his career where I’d suspect he’d be on big wages, so I’d be surprised if he’s on anything over 10k a week here. 

There’s still a place for a player like him in this squad in my view, despite his moronic mistake on Boxing Day. Think people are a bit harsh on his ability as a player. Ironically he actually has the joint highest number of goal contributions in the squad currently, though I admit that’s not much of an accolade! But he does remain a good player. Probably not an automatic starter in an ideal world, but he’s a good off the bench type player / rotation option. And you need those in your squad, particularly with the fixture schedule in the Championship. 

To be fair, we don’t actually have that many alternatives to him on that right hand side. He’s better than Holmes, and there are serious question marks over whether Ibe is going to make it here. Jordon would obviously be the first choice if he could find his form again, but if we end up having to move him on, then we’ll have to bring someone else in imo to compete with Waghorn. But even then, Waghorn does still have something to offer. He’s a threat from freekicks, which you always need in the Championship, and he adds some much needed physicality to the wide areas of our team. 

So nah, the only reason I’d consider selling Waghorn is if we’re still really struggling for cash because the takeover falls through. He’s proven in the Championship, so someone might be willing to pay a decent fee. Otherwise I’d look to give him a new short term contract (1/2 years), and keep him around as competition for places.

Classic player at this level and has been for many years. Served Derby well these last few seasons... however, he is beginning to belong to an old school style that is waning so fast now in modern football. Everything is faster, fitter and his tackles show that small margin, speed of thought his best days are fading fast. 

He would do a cracking job for a Karanka style manager. 

1 hour ago, SamUltraRam said:

With Sibley's performance last night, I'm thinking that Waghorn's sending off may be one of those 'fate' moments ..... added to Lawrence's extended injury.

It's finally given Sibley a chance to show what he can do as a starter - what was it last night, 4 shots on target by him ? numbers that Waghorn or Lawrence don't produce.

Sibley worked so hard last night. Three midfielders scored last night. A while since that happened. We now have the hardest working midfield in the league. How much has Shinniesta improved. If we had paid £4 million nobody would be complaining.

3 hours ago, Poynton ram said:

With Sibley stepping up last night how big a miss is Waghorn? Out of contract in the summer if someone came in with a reasonable bid would you offload him or is he still a key part of the squad?

To be fair I think he has contributed this season and not just with his sublime free kicks but if he is being paid what has been rumoured is it time to move him on?

I think finally Wazza has his first choice team finalised . Other than alternating Fozzy and Buchanan it is the team that started yesterday. Waghorn and Lawrence on the bench.

Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

I think finally Wazza has his first choice team finalised . Other than alternating Fozzy and Buchanan it is the team that started yesterday. Waghorn and Lawrence on the bench.

Keep them hungry and make them produce on the pitch 

Archived