Would we miss Waghorn.....

Poynton ram

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Taribo said:

For the record I’ve never liked ‘wingers’ but Christ we’re short of quality; Waggy, Lawrence, Kamil, Roberts, Ibe(?), every single one of them frustrates the hell out of me. 

Argument could be made that if any of the above were consistent then they wouldn’t be playing for us. 

Horgan did more against us for Wycombe in one game than we have seen in months from our wingers. Sign the dude. 

10 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

Based on current form, not at all. In fact we'd be better off without him. The only contributions he's made all season are the odd set piece delivery, and an early red card v Preston. That's it.  If we can get a replacement then move him on, but when the loan players leave and those out of contract go, we barely have a squad left to choose. 

Waghorn was bad but to be fair he was playing in LW. I can't remember him playing there very often if ever. He used to be very good at Ipswich playing at RW or RM, and you have to say his struggles aren't for lack of trying and he does work hard for the team, but I think in the last few seasons he's lost a bit of pace and can no longer play in RW or RM. He's never been a prolific goal scorer, he's averaged about 1 goal every 4 games at every club he's been at, so I don't where he fits on the pitch anymore. 

53 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

Waghorn was bad but to be fair he was playing in LW. I can't remember him playing there very often if ever. He used to be very good at Ipswich playing at RW or RM, and you have to say his struggles aren't for lack of trying and he does work hard for the team, but I think in the last few seasons he's lost a bit of pace and can no longer play in RW or RM. He's never been a prolific goal scorer, he's averaged about 1 goal every 4 games at every club he's been at, so I don't where he fits on the pitch anymore. 

Be honest though, has he even been good in RW this season? 

I'm not sure what's happened to him as he was fairly good 2-3 seasons ago. 

Completely agree with you though, he just doesn't seem to have a natural position anymore.

1 hour ago, Chris_Martin said:

Completely agree with you though, he just doesn't seem to have a natural position anymore.

I didn't say he was good at RW this season, I said he was good at RW while at Ipswich. He's even worse in LW now. He's just lost the pace he had a few seasons ago (not that he was lightening) which made him more affective on the wing

His first touch is poor and he struggles to pass to anyone wearing the same colour shirt as him (though to be fair, he's pretty good at passing to folk wearing the oppositions shirt). He has put in some decent corners and his freekicks are normally fairly good, but other than that he's not contributing much to the overall team performance and in fact, his poor ball retention is so bad at present that he's putting us under uncessary pressure. To his credit, you can't fault his workrate and he never hides, but we can't have passengers if we're hoping to push up the table and (eventually) get promoted.

We have to assume he's probably on a decent wedge so I'd move him on if we can (subject to the weird way we seem to manage contracts and the impact on FFP if we have to write off a big wad of money when he leaves)....

47 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

I didn't say he was good at RW this season, I said he was good at RW while at Ipswich. He's even worse in LW now. He's just lost the pace he had a few seasons ago (not that he was lightening) which made him more affective on the wing

Another thing that frustrates me about him, how can he have such a good set piece delivery but be so bad at crossing from open play? 

23 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

Think Waggy and Knight are paying the price for not having a regular position in the team , both have dropped a level in their performances , Knighty is so much better driving through the midfield supporting the strikers, instead of a holding role or right wing, Waggy for me at the moment is a sub , but i prefer him playing on the right of a front 3

3 hours ago, Premier ram said:

Think Waggy and Knight are paying the price for not having a regular position in the team , both have dropped a level in their performances , Knighty is so much better driving through the midfield supporting the strikers, instead of a holding role or right wing, Waggy for me at the moment is a sub , but i prefer him playing on the right of a front 3

Completely agree.

Archived