v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Matchday Thread

Comrade 86

Poor result that. You simply can’t be affording to lose 6 pointers like that while in a relegation battle. We’ve undone our previous hard work now, and handed the initiative firmly to our rivals like Forest and Wycombe. Frustrating because we didn’t deserve to lose that. We were the better team all over the pitch, and controlled the game. But we didn’t take our chances. And with finishing like that, you deserve to be punished.

• Replies 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frustrating evening, hatful of chances and really we should be taking 2 or 3 at least. Decent performance for the most part but can't help but think we could have managed the game tactically better, we'd clearly ran out of legs in midfield and changes needed to happen sooner. Not only that but I'm not sure why with 15 minutes to go we aren't looking to take off either Wisdom or Bielik instead of Sibley and looking to keep them stretched, they were parked in and not really posing much of a threat. We could/should have gambled a bit more.

It's the one major criticism I'd have of Rooney so far is we leave subs way too late and are far too conservative with them rather than being proactive. Against Birmingham we arguably left key players on too long in a game that was pretty much done at half time, and today those players were knackered by the hour mark. With the schedule being what is we need to be smarter with how manage energy levels especially if we want to progress with this style of play.

3 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Don't say that the delusional fans will argue that we've been great this game,  the white suited men need to come and take away some of the people on here tonight , we've been shocking against an awful team , the last 10 minutes has been the worst I've seen in the last 15 games , no urgency whatsoever 1 minute left and we are walking around like we are 4 goals ahead 

This is why I hate relying on the forum for updates when I can't actually watch the game. 

Utter nonsense, totally clueless. 

We started off by playing some of our best football of the last couple of years and only some weak finishing stopped us being 3 or 4 up at half time. 

We tired and the game became a bit more even. They scored a scruffy goal and we looked a bit stunned for 10mins, momentum and confidence unsurprisingly waned.. Plus our weak bench gave us few options but we still kept trying and should have equalised and also had a penalty too. 

Sickeningly disappointing but lots of positives. 

Oh well.

I'd just write that off to fatigue more than anything.

Annoying, but we did create chances and I'm not massively worried by this rresult. Wednesday are also clearly still on the "Tony Pulis is no longer at the club" high.

Bit of rest, takeover resolved one way or the other hopefully some reinforcement in.

Ok. I can't help it.

Losing to sheff Wednesday is a stackable offense - Rooney out. Now.

Wendies played well for 60 minutes. Game should have won in first 30 mins. Crying out for a Bannan type player to bring on. We slowed our game and lost the initiative. Not enough on the bench to bring on. Bielik much less effective in second half because we slowed down. Wisdom needs to learn how to get the ball forward. Lack of quality in front of goal plus no penalty lost the game for us.

Sith Happens

Unlucky but you see it so many times when a team has lots of chances and don't score. 

Still much better performance than earlier in season. 

10 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

I hope the prats that were declaring us Safe the other night ducking learn a thing or two about football 

nothing is guaranteed in football 

Quite sure nobody declared we were safe the other night.  Learn a thing or two about reading posts.  I never read 1 post stating this.  The closest to it was more like IF we can play like this every week we will be ok. IF is a hope not a fact.  IF you want to insult posters, have the conviction to name them and quote these posts only you seem to have seen.

Won't get a clearer penalty than that.  Awful night - product of our own downfall.  Got to br two nil at halftime but tempo terrible 2nd half  Bannan was the best player second half wasted at Wednesday.  Jozwiak and Sibley seem to have an inability to just play the game without getting rattled.  Jozwiak could have Johnson sent off against Preston but got involved .  Sibley tonight with the free kick. Save the foot in till your winning and its the end of the game. Crap referring and finishing has cost us 2-4 points over christmas.  You can't consistently lose if you concede one even if it's poor defending .  Why Why can't Bird beat a man with a cross and play at speed.  Grossly over rated.

As soon as I saw Keith Andrews in a bobble hat at the start, commentating on us again, he's not done us for a bit, I thought game over yet again, he always puts the mockers on us. And as the second half moved on, I thought if that donkey Paterson scores against us, I'm nearly ready to throw the towel in on this football club.

Sick and tired of that bit of hope, lasting a couple of days yet again. Another kick in the knackers to start the year off.

Shinnie needs to bury that first chance to set the tempo, instead we go back to square one, yet again.

Goodnight.

Great first 45 minutes and to be fair they never looked like scoring all game.I think Marshall needs to be more assertive in the 6 yard box it was a shocking punch that cost us the goal.

The biggest problem we have we have nothing on the bench at all,yes we have Waghorn to come back then we are very light weight,we needed to make more changes tonight as we were looking very leggy but had no one really who i thought was going to change the pattern of the game

2 minutes ago, Tombo said:

We've played about 10 games like that this season and rarely do we win them. The desire wanes far too easily.

If we " play like that " we will lose all 10  , we have just lost to a side that we're 24th in the league for most negative statistics,  whats happens if we play like that against a team that isn't made up of bin cleaners like sheff wed?

A frustrating game - I state the obvious but we're just not ruthless enough in front of goal. Arguably we should have been 2 possibly 3 goals up at half-time. An obvious hand ball in the second half which should have definitely seen us awarded a penalty. It's going to be vital that we get the right players in (and out) during this month's transfer window and the earlier the better!

The problem is you always get these games when you’ve generally been on top but lose against the run of play. We’ve had a few over the years Wigan and Millwall (more than once) come to mind. The difference with this result is we’ve not been in the position were currently are recently and the double whammy of it being against a team down there with us is a double whack in the knackers.

Archived