v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Matchday Thread

Comrade 86

Sheffield Wednesday Vs Derby County
Friday 1st January 17:30 Kick Off

Well that was a bit good, wasn't it! After the injustices of the Preston game, a resurgent Rams side look to have turned the corner in no uncertain terms and in some style too. With Birmingham firmly put in their place, the lads get a 2 day break before they're on their travels again, this time to Sheffield Wednesday whom, at time of writing, are without a manager having just sacked Tony Pulis.

Close to home, an in-house DCFC Fans poll now shows pretty such unanimous support for Wazza too, so it's all rosy in our garden all of a sudden, isn't it! Come on, you can say it! I've eaten my humble pie after all!

Rams form aside, a super handy set of results tonight. Many of us fancied our chances of leapfrogging both Rotherham and the Gumps with a win tonight and of course the lads delivered in style whilst the others mobs duly did not. A bad night for the fancied sides of the division makes things all the more interesting. And having been 3 bottom when I last checked the form table, the picture now makes for rather nicer viewing:

image.png.c6699f462c4ea49eacd09fe0564cacf2.png

Whilst the most recent jolt of improvement has taken some of us by surprise, it appears there's one man who most certainly saw it coming. A bullish Rooney commented after tonight's game;

"That performance has been coming over the last few weeks. I'm delighted for the players. I'm starting to see a team that believe in themselves. They have been putting in good performances.

"The results have been getting better, and even though we lost against Preston, the performance was excellent. You can see the confidence growing. They deserve that for the work they have put in.

"I'm not worried. We've got a lot of quality and hopefully with a few players coming in January, we can iron out some of the cracks and take us to that next level."

So what next? Hard to see too many changes really. Wazza seems happy to alternate Buchanan and Fozzy and both appear to be flourishing under his guidance. Apparently Jordon is on the naughty step, but Sibbo was excellent tonight so Jordon will need to be cleaning up his act if reports of his misdemeanours are on the mark. Other than that, the team pretty much picks itself. There seemed to be plenty of energy tonight though it's possible that Wazza may see fit to rest one or two if legs are understandably growing heavy. If not, I think we'll line up pretty much as we did tonight.

In the absence of any need for tactical analysis and guesses, I'll leave you lot with some fun facts about Sheffield instead:

• There's a National Park in the city
  • It hosts the world's oldest football club
  • Sheffield also has the world's oldest football ground
  • The city has four trees for every person
  • The Crucible Theatre is cursed
  • The highest point in Sheffield is 550 metres
  • It has been inhabited for millennia
  • Sheffield has its own Walk of Fame

Se you Friday chaps!

#daretodream
#playoffsherewecome

COYR

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Sheffield Wednesday Vs Derby County
Friday 1st January 17:30 Kick Off

Well that was a bit good, wasn't it! After the injustices of the Preston game, a resurgent Rams side look to have turned the corner in no uncertain terms and in some style too. With Birmingham firmly put in their place, the lads get a 2 day break before they're on their travels again, this time to Sheffield Wednesday whom, at time of writing, are without a manager having just sacked Tony Pulis.

Close to home, an in-house DCFC Fans poll now shows pretty such unanimous support for Wazza too, so it's all rosy in our garden all of a sudden, isn't it! Come on, you can say it! I've eaten my humble pie after all!

Rams form aside, a super handy set of results tonight. Many of us fancied our chances of leapfrogging both Rotherham and the Gumps with a win tonight and of course the lads delivered in style whilst the others mobs duly did not. A bad night for the fancied sides of the division makes things all the more interesting. And having been 3 bottom when I last checked the form table, the picture now makes for rather nicer viewing:

image.png.c6699f462c4ea49eacd09fe0564cacf2.png

Whilst the most recent jolt of improvement has taken some of us by surprise, it appears there's one man who most certainly saw it coming. A bullish Rooney commented after tonight's game;

"That performance has been coming over the last few weeks. I'm delighted for the players. I'm starting to see a team that believe in themselves. They have been putting in good performances.

"The results have been getting better, and even though we lost against Preston, the performance was excellent. You can see the confidence growing. They deserve that for the work they have put in.

"I'm not worried. We've got a lot of quality and hopefully with a few players coming in January, we can iron out some of the cracks and take us to that next level."

So what next? Hard to see too many changes really. Wazza seems happy to alternate Buchanan and Fozzy and both appear to be flourishing under his guidance. Apparently Jordon is on the naughty step, but Sibbo was excellent tonight so Jordon will need to be cleaning up his act if reports of his misdemeanours are on the mark. Other than that, the team pretty much picks itself. There seemed to be plenty of energy tonight though it's possible that Wazza may see fit to rest one or two if legs are understandably growing heavy. If not, I think we'll line up pretty much as we did tonight.

In the absence of any need for tactical analysis and guesses, I'll leave you lot with some fun facts about Sheffield instead:

• There's a National Park in the city
  • It hosts the world's oldest football club
  • Sheffield also has the world's oldest football ground
  • The city has four trees for every person
  • The Crucible Theatre is cursed
  • The highest point in Sheffield is 550 metres
  • It has been inhabited for millennia
  • Sheffield has its own Walk of Fame

Se you Friday chaps!

#daretodream
#playoffsherewecome

COYR

The oldest club while called Sheffield FC is actually in Derbyshire. 

Same team again if fit, I mean the discussion ends there doesn’t it? 

Play well, keep your place, not one player deserves to lose their place after last night. 

Dare I say, the Chorley game will provide an opportunity to rest a few players.

Before the cup traditionalists jump on me, we are still very much in a relegation battle, that absolutely has to be this clubs priority and we have to manage the players fitness levels. 

If our backup players are not good enough to beat Chorley and show why they deserve to be starting games then we are in trouble. 

Back to Wednesday, you can say the club is in a mess, ideal time to play them and put more distance between us. But the players might be out to prove a point and be happy Pulis is gone. 

Either way, as good as last night was, it means nothing if we just turn up and expect to roll these over. Not the time for performance levels to drop and it’s great to hear Rooney is taking the players to a hotel for NYE to remove all distractions. 

Let’s hope the Wednesday players are up till 3am on the babyshams.

7 minutes ago, David said:

Play well, keep your place, not one player deserves to lose their place after last night. 

Before the cup traditionalists jump on me, we are still very much in a relegation battle, that absolutely has to be this clubs priority and we have to manage the players fitness levels. 

If our backup players are not good enough to beat Chorley and show why they deserve to be starting games then we are in trouble. 

Back to Wednesday, you can say the club is in a mess, ideal time to play them and put more distance between us. But the players might be out to prove a point and be happy Pulis is gone. 

Either way, as good as last night was, it means nothing if we just turn up and expect to roll these over. Not the time for performance levels to drop and it’s great to hear Rooney is taking the players to a hotel for NYE to remove all distractions. 

Noooooooooo!!!! Still not forgotten the last tea building exercise. ????

5 minutes ago, chadlad said:

Noooooooooo!!!! Still not forgotten the last tea building exercise. ????

The typo makes this great. I’m seeing the players huddled around a kettle in one of the hotel bedrooms trying to make a brew together ?

I have been really enjoying the fact that we have two excellent left backs in Forsyth who is highly dependable and never complains and Buchanan who is looking like having a great future, with both of them doing a job share excellently - hard to believe we paid £3 million for Malone ( and still own him if anyone wants to buy him) 

2 hours ago, David said:

Yes ... They will be buzzing. Last nights goals have killed a hoodoo that I am pretty sure will be enough to nullify a managers gone bounce .. he was only there for 3 months after all. Fingers crossed. I might be tempted to swap Fozzy for Buchanan but that’s depends who Wendies have facing that position rather than a reflection on his performance last night which was as good as anyone.

I don’t think playing some of the newer young ones in the cup is disrespectful. Playing the entire U23’s might be, but there is a long history of greats starting life in the limelight of the cup. Ask Fergie, that ended pretty well. 

23 minutes ago, jono said:

Yes ... They will be buzzing. Last nights goals have killed a hoodoo that I am pretty sure will be enough to nullify a managers gone bounce .. he was only there for 3 months after all. Fingers crossed. I might be tempted to swap Fozzy for Buchanan but that’s depends who Wendies have facing that position rather than a reflection on his performance last night which was as good as anyone.

I don’t think playing some of the newer young ones in the cup is disrespectful. Playing the entire U23’s might be, but there is a long history of greats starting life in the limelight of the cup. Ask Fergie, that ended pretty well. 

Yeah I’m not thinking full team, Bielik, Knight, Jozwiak, Colin, out for Bird, Sibley, Ibe and Hector-Ingram.

Bring Whittaker in as well. 

Sheff Wednesday first though 

Archived