New Manager

dantheram

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Cocu_Doodle_Do said:

Why would people not want big sam? I really dont get it.

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

Ignorant snobbery. People said similar about Jim Smith. 

Two reasons I can think of; firstly, many have complained about Cocu' style of football. Fat Sam's style is hardly easy on the eye. Secondly, the man's an utter grub and doesn't need to be anywhere near this club, especially after our name has been dragged through the mud so many times in recent years. I fail to see how that's remotely ignorant. 

To those that want results above everything you do realise that McClaren is probably as sure a bet as any of the "pragmatists" put forward? 

Twice before he's taken over and twice he had an immediate impact shooting us up the table and the squad is set up perfectly for what he'd want to do.

Big Sam is a great man manager and motivator players love him and will run through brick walls for him. 

His football is not the easiest on the eye but nor was Billy Davies in our promotion season and our league position currently is not far from theirs that season at this point. 

This year the season is a even more of a punishing schedule than usual a team playing pragmatic football has a good chance of achieving something more than any other season. 

1 minute ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Two reasons I can think of; firstly, many have complained about Cocu' style of football. Fat Sam's style is hardly easy on the eye. Secondly, the man's an utter grub and doesn't need to be anywhere near this club, especially after our name has been dragged through the mud so many times in recent years. I fail to see how that's remotely ignorant. 

it's ignorant cos his football has been dependant on the players available to him. Cos of course, Jay Jay Okocha and Djouri Djorkaeff were hoof merchants right? As for "utter grub", I can only assume you are referring to the sneakily snaky edited sting video by the gutter press when he was England manager? 

7 minutes ago, Monty said:

I agree and this is down to management and whoever is appointed. Having been a supporter in the old 3rd division days in the early eighties we definitely do not want to be back there and the inexorable slide towards it must be arrested. (having said that the game when we secured promotion to Div 2 on 9th May 1986 was one of the most exciting nights at the Baseball Ground!) ?

I think it entirely depends on how you view our current situation. To my mind it's early enough in the season and performances have suggested enough that we don't need to go for someone who's only remit is "save us from relegation at any cost". 

We need to take the appointment seriously and our position seriously but I think we can do better than finishing 21st.

2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

it's ignorant cos his football has been dependant on the players available to him. Cos of course, Jay Jay Okocha and Djouri Djorkaeff were hoof merchants right? As for "utter grub", I can only assume you are referring to the sneakily snaky edited sting video by the gutter press when he was England manager? 

It's fair to see towards his latter years at Bolton they started to play decent stuff. 

But every team he's had since then has played some shade of ugly football. The criticism over that side of his game is fair. 

It's highly likely if he took over it wouldn't be pretty. 

Whether that matters to you is a completely different question.

Just now, brady1993 said:

It's fair to see towards his latter years at Bolton they started to play decent stuff. 

But every team he's had since then has played some shade of ugly football. The criticism over that side of his game is fair. 

It's highly likely if he took over it wouldn't be pretty. 

Whether that matters to you is a completely different question.

in fairness, I'm not even advocating him as manager, just cannot abide mistruths. If he didn't have a northern accent and wasn't English, he'd be deemed a football genius for making the best of what he's got. He's never spent big money anywhere, and his football has never been worse than the managers he replaced, or those replacing him! It's just that mud sticks. Most football is ugly in the PL. You can probably only name five or six "attractive" teams in the last 20 years of PL football. 

Though there are certainly examples at clubs where Allardyce hasn't exactly played "entertaining" football, I would challenge anyone who thinks that's all he does to go back and have a look at his Bolton side. One of the best to watch in the Premier League back in the good old days!

20 minutes ago, The Key Club King said:

I'm pretty sure the next manager will continue to fit the fan's criteria of being a good, exciting appointment at the time, but in hindisght was an obviously terrible choice and Mel/new owner should be ashamed of themselves for not seeing it.  

Who do you recommend? 

I think many people who criticise SA need to invest a little time looking back watching games for the different clubs he’s managed. He is the ultimate pragmatist who gets results out of the resources he has.

Given time he has built clubs (Bolton) up and they played football which is good to watch. The fact that they had Kevin Davis who could beast the centre back meant that people remember them as a long ball side, however we were very happy with Chris Martin doing similar job for us.

Cocu provided absolutely zero links in regards to the talented loans we thought he would provide. Which was surprising considering his playing career.

Lampard came in and instantly used his resources. Got us to a playoff final.. even in his first managerial season. 

To write John Terry off would be crazy imo. I'm probably In the minority but JT regardless of what you think of him as a person, he is a born leader and a born winner. From the same cloth as Lampard and would come with an abundance of links to help us get out of the position we are in. I think he will make a good manager.

Rooney on the other hand just doesn't strike me as a manager. Coach yes, assistant manager maybe, but a manager? Not so sure.

As for proven managers, from the list of names I've heard its Eddie Howe for me.

@Big Trav seems convinced that it will be Terry. Dunno if he's ITK. Also, the DET have talked about Terry for a few days now.

Anyhow, if it is Terry, what would he do about Rooney? I have no idea how they get on. Truth is Rooney is coming to the end of his playing career. If Terry drops him and if he's already steamed about not getting the manager's job, it might get unpleasant ?

2 hours ago, brady1993 said:

When he took over Fulham were in a right mess if I recall correctly, the previous two managers had blown throw a lot of the parachute money and they were firmly languishing at the bottom end of the table. Jokanovic takes over half way through a season where they are firmly in a relegation fight and guides them clear. I think he had some money to spend but I can't ever remember him throwing around silly money and a lot of that was raised off the back of selling McCormack.

Following season is a top 6 finish. 

Season after that they get promoted finishing 3rd. This was the season they signed Mitrovic half way through. Saying Mitrovic fired them up is overlooking that he'd already built a good side and Mitrovic was the final touch. (He would have probably got that player earlier in Martin if it wasn't for our meddling).

He also took Watford up after they were initially in a right mess (he was the 5th coach in as many months if recall correctly). 

I just don't know how you can conclude him as a one season wonder. As far as I can tell he's the best realistic option.

I stand corrected .. I know they were in their 2nd or third year of parachute money so that had cash and certainly enough to bring in mitrovic on big wages where others couldn’t 

I don’t know why Iv just got cook in my head as a good fit 

Archived