New Manager

dantheram

3 minutes ago, Shang said:

Also ended badly at Schalke I vaguely remember?

Can't claim to have followed his career much, but he had a poor win rate there and lasted less than a year...

3 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

Seems like he did well at MKD and WBA, and then obviously won the CL with Chelsea, but since then has struggled to achieve much of an impact anywhere. 

Think it would be a ‘no’ from me. 

Since being fired from Chelsea in 2012 he's had no success anywhere. Would be weird to give him the job.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to see Rooney isn’t in the running, he isn’t ready yet.

Howe is the most obvious choice on paper, but I’m a bit indifferent about him. On the one hand, he did a fantastic job taking Bournemouth up the leagues, and is rightly regarded as a legend there. But on the other hand, once they got to the top, he seemed to get very little out of some very talented players, and also supposedly has a record of falling out with players - something our primadonnas won’t appreciate. His time at Burnley is a concern as well.

Di Matteo would be a bizzare and utterly senseless appointment. He’s been out a job since Nigel Pearson left us, having taken Villa to a similar position that were in now. Why would you turn to him to turn it around?

Just now, Millenniumram said:

Howe is the most obvious choice on paper, but I’m a bit indifferent about him. On the one hand, he did a fantastic job taking Bournemouth up the leagues, and is rightly regarded as a legend there. But on the other hand, once they got to the top, he seemed to get very little out of some very talented players, and also supposedly has a record of falling out with players - something our primadonnas won’t appreciate. His time at Burnley is a concern as well.

What worries me about Howe is he was allegedly home sick for the South Coast whilst at Burnley, and he couldn't get anything out of Jordon Ibe at Bournemouth. 

52 minutes ago, Brummie Steve said:

Speaking as a senior Popsider who passed his sell-by date many moons since.

Much as I admire Rafa Benitez and would like to see him manage Derby, what might the stress do to his general health.

Is it really worth a few extra millions in his savings?

He takes home £12m a year in his current position. He'd be taking a massive pay cut.

50 minutes ago, Andicis said:

The Mail (I know - take with a pinch of salt) are saying Di Matteo, Howe, Brian McDermott (formerly of Reading), and Nigel Adkins are the 4 on our shortlist. 

Wow. All of a sudden, I am warming to the idea of John Terry.

Smith at Villa sings his praises; and they're doing well this year.

He is a winner (amongst other things).

No danger of Chelsea appointing another ex-player after Frank, whether Lampard is successful or not.

Would be respected by the players. Maybe bring Cole in as assistant. Loans from Frank.

32 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Howe is the most obvious choice on paper, but I’m a bit indifferent about him. On the one hand, he did a fantastic job taking Bournemouth up the leagues, and is rightly regarded as a legend there. But on the other hand, once they got to the top, he seemed to get very little out of some very talented players, and also supposedly has a record of falling out with players - something our primadonnas won’t appreciate. His time at Burnley is a concern as well

I live down sarf now and I've seen a fair bit of Bournemouth. To me, Howe was greatly overrated. They bought their way from League 1 to the Premier League. I think they fell foul of FFP. The football wasn't great either but it seems a lot on here are calling for "effective".

In addition, Howe is not regarded as "a legend" by their supporters. The ones I have spoken to and those interviewed on radio and local TV were all saying it was time for him to go - even before they were relegated.

Wasn't there stories when Ibe signed for us that he was unhappy with Howe's treatment of his mental health issues? One or two others wouldn't sign short extensions going into lockdown either.

Anyhow, I may be swimming against the tide but I don't want him at Derby.

4 hours ago, GenBr said:

Because Wassall’s team was still entertaining and he achieved more points per game than any other manager in the past 70 years bar Steve McClaren. It's all well and good cherry picking the bad games, but there were plenty of good as well.

Doesn't matter though - he isn't a coach anymore - he is the academy director now and I would very much doubt he would take the step back down to coaching at this stage.

He might, if it means he can ensure Ethan keeps getting games over the coming years.  Ethan is 23 in January.

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

The Mail (I know - take with a pinch of salt) are saying Di Matteo, Howe, Brian McDermott (formerly of Reading), and Nigel Adkins are the 4 on our shortlist. 

All four have done well at some point in their career. Football management is very much an enigma, so nothing to say it wouldn’t happen again. 

McDermott took a team that Brendan Rodgers had fighting relegation and got them promoted. Adkins built a good team and developed a lot of good young players at Southampton and had back-to-back promotions (I believe). Howe put and kept Bournemouth in the Premier League playing good football. Di Matteo has worked his way up the ladder and won the Champions League trophy as a manager. 

None are massively fashionable at the moment, but they’ve all had success in the past. Let’s face it, whoever we hire is going to be a massive gamble - I thought Nigel Pearson was as close to guaranteed to succeed as possible and look what happened there. 

8 minutes ago, sage said:

For those querying McDermott being on the list, I think he may have been at Reading when Samuelson helped with that takeover.

image.png.52eb566575774e00455991500f4d502a.png

Brian McDermott is surely Mels secret love child he's kept under wraps at one of his country piles.  Time to take the Iron mask of son, make me proud. Just trying to keep his hand in if this right.

4 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Wow. All of a sudden, I am warming to the idea of John Terry.

Smith at Villa sings his praises; and they're doing well this year.

He is a winner (amongst other things).

No danger of Chelsea appointing another ex-player after Frank, whether Lampard is successful or not.

Would be respected by the players. Maybe bring Cole in as assistant. Loans from Frank.

He's the only name that gets my interest, honestly. He's got some star power, he seems to be a good coach, and maybe he'd take Wayne on as assistant and get his fat @$$ off the pitch.

Archived