New Manager

dantheram

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

in fairness, I'm not even advocating him as manager, just cannot abide mistruths. If he didn't have a northern accent and wasn't English, he'd be deemed a football genius for making the best of what he's got. He's never spent big money anywhere, and his football has never been worse than the managers he replaced, or those replacing him! It's just that mud sticks. Most football is ugly in the PL. You can probably only name five or six "attractive" teams in the last 20 years of PL football. 

Thing is I'm not convinced they are entirely untrue. I'd say at Newcastle, West Ham and Everton there was opportunity to play more eye catching football than he did. In each of those cases he had good squads for the level they were at or had the resources available to work with. And in each case the fans of the club's fans lambasted what they were watching. 

I disagree I think there have been far more attractive teams than that. I'd contend they're is easily that number in the current league right now.

Has Allardyce been a good manager? Without a shadow of a doubt, what he achieved at Bolton was miraculous. He doesnt deserve to be lumped in with your typical championship pragmatist. And were he to come there is a high chance he'd get results.

But it's highly likely not to be pretty and it's highly likely the youngsters breaking through are sacked off back to the u23s. There is a high chance based on his recent history that he will solely focus on getting short term results by being hard to beat, working on set pieces and trying to grind out results. Which in turn means no risks on academy lads and no risks trying to be expensive. 

The most important thing for me is, for once, for the love of God - don't change styles completely. We've built a squad to play football on the ground, if we bring in a hoofball manager we're going to need years of transition again. We need someone who can build on what we already have. We've made this mistake too many times, please don't do it again Derby.

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

But he still knows it’s a Mickey Mouse league....

100% agree that he knows that 9/10 games are absolutely pointless and boring, but if it’s a toss up between away at Benfica midweek or away at Wycombe, which one are you choosing!

Also he’s got a chance to become a Rangers legend, I could only see him giving that up right this second to manage Liverpool ...not Derby when bottom of the league.

I’m also not even convinced he’d do a good job, I think I could manage that Rangers team to 2nd place minimum and he’s got no experience of the Championship.

27 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Marco Rose.

27 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Not impossible.

Wow. To be honest, I think this is the most unrealistic suggestion yet! He's at Monchengladbach who are currently top of their Champions League group with both REAL MADRID and INTER MILAN. 

Just now, Mckram said:

100% agree that he knows that 9/10 games are absolutely pointless and boring, but if it’s a toss up between away at Benfica midweek or away at Wycombe, which one are you choosing!

Also he’s got a chance to become a Rangers legend, I could only see him giving that up right this second to manage Liverpool ...not Derby when bottom of the league.

I’m also not even convinced he’d do a good job, I think I could manage that Rangers team to 2nd place minimum and he’s got no experience of the Championship.

Wycombe are better than over half the teams in the Soggie Pants League. Gerrard would be way down the list for me. An experienced Championship manager who plays the game the right way with some kind of track record for me ?

2 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Wow. To be honest, I think this is the most unrealistic suggestion yet! He's at Monchengladbach who are currently top of their Champions League group with both REAL MADRID and INTER MILAN. 

I think the Neil Lennon suggestion takes some beating.....but for totally different reasons ?

19 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

I stand corrected .. I know they were in their 2nd or third year of parachute money so that had cash and certainly enough to bring in mitrovic on big wages where others couldn’t 

I don’t know why Iv just got cook in my head as a good fit 

I think by the time they signed Mitrovic they were beyond the point of parachute payments. 

I won't deny they had some money but they didn't have "bully the division" money. Signing Mitrovic was an expensive loan to add the final piece but I wouldn't say it's any more ludicrous than some loans/signings/wages associated to us in recent history.

Have already said who my first choice would be, however...

I've got a funny feeling that Paul Cook is going to become the next Chris Wilder. I think he's going to get a Championship job at some point, and then get that team promoted.

Would be more than happy see him get the job here, though I know he's not a particularly Hollywood choice!

8 minutes ago, Andicis said:

The most important thing for me is, for once, for the love of God - don't change styles completely. We've built a squad to play football on the ground, if we bring in a hoofball manager we're going to need years of transition again. We need someone who can build on what we already have. We've made this mistake too many times, please don't do it again Derby.

Exactly and for that reason I'd go for Jokanovic. Some of the names mentioned on here fill me with absolute dread if they were even being considered.

1 hour ago, brady1993 said:

To those that want results above everything you do realise that McClaren is probably as sure a bet as any of the "pragmatists" put forward? 

Twice before he's taken over and twice he had an immediate impact shooting us up the table and the squad is set up perfectly for what he'd want to do.

He did have better players though in fact all of them were actually highly experienced professionals with the bonus of a Will Hughes and Jeff Hendrick who whilst young were again very experienced for their age. 

7 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

He did have better players though in fact all of them were actually highly experienced professionals with the bonus of a Will Hughes and Jeff Hendrick who whilst young were again very experienced for their age. 

I'm not convinced that's true. Especially not at the time of taking over and especially not on both occasions. 

47 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Marco Rose.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marco_Rose

Not impossible. A German manager that will make us rock solid at the back and this guy likes a direct attack.

The Germans know how to win things are hard to beat, are organised and can get the job done.

Rose of the east midlands. Rams rise with Rose.

I think more realistic than Marco Rose is another from the Red Bull stable, Jesse Marsch. An American, ex-New York Red Bulls head coach, RB Leipzig assistant and replaced Marco Rose to be current RB Salzburg manager.

Risk going with someone outside the championship, especially from abroad, but if they play high intensity football could work and could be entertaining.

Me personally, unless the owners pull in a big name, i think Mac 3 to the end of the season could be a shout. He could get a tune out of this squad, his playing style is not that dissimilar to Cocu, but better adapted to the requirements of the championship, and he’s proven he can get us out of this situation, given he took over from Pearson in similar circumstances.

Archived