New Manager

dantheram

16 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Really difficult to suggest names as no idea what level the new owners will want to pitch us at. Personally I'd be wary of a big name dropdown especially given our particular rut. Looking at out of work managers around this level though, I would be keen on Nigel Adkins. Not a glamorous name I accept but theres a few reasons why.

Firstly, his sides play attacking, energetic & attractive football...exactly the style that we as a fanbase want to see & that is realistic with this group of players. Im confused by folk suggesting the likes of Big Sam given how unpopular Rowett was here, so safe to assume a new man has to play a certain brand of football to last long here.

Secondly, Adkins' track record is really impressive. Took Scunthorpe (now bottom 5 in League Two) into the Championship, fantastic for a club that size & developed a ridiculous number of strikers including Billy Sharp & Gary Hooper. His next move was to Southampton, who he took from League One to Premier League in successive seasons. They were also doing fine in the Prem before he was jettisoned for the altogether more glamorous Mauricio Pochettino. Its true his stints at Reading & Sheff Utd werent successes but that was more about not achieving playoff spots than total failure. I was also very impressed with his most recent job at Hull, a total basketcase of a club under the ruinuous Allam family. He took over with Hull bottom 3, saved them and next season had them flirting with the playoffs. He resigned the end of his second season due to disagreements with the board & they went down the season after (just showing how good a job he'd done).

Final reason, he's a very positive and upbeat character & probably exactly what we need to inject some enthusiasm & belief into our morale shattered squad. In my eyes, his relative lack of profile & celebrity is also a real positive.

P.s. @HariboWest great minds! My mega long post crossed yours ?

My son was mascot vs Hull at home when Adkins was in charge and he came across a really nice guy. Came over and took photos will all the Hull mascots and made time to have a chat with their parents too

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DeMontfortRam said:

If and when the new owner comes in maybe he'll want to make a big statement and flex his muscles in front of the footballing world. 

He can't spend his money on players cause of FFP, so perhaps he'll go for a big name manager instead... Rafa Benitez is the first name to spring to mind considering he's been willing to manage in the Championship before, however he's in China right now and I doubt money is an issue.

Current big name managers that are without a job and aren't too overly unrealistic if we threw megabucks at them include: Marco Silva (Last at Everton), Big Sam (Last at Everton), Jürgen Klinsmann (Last at Hertha Berlin), Leonardo Jardim (Last at Monaco), Clarence Seedorf (Last at Cameroon), Roberto Di Matteo (Last at Villa)... Not particularly keen on any of them (although I do like Di Matteo). 

Not sure if a lot of these ex-players / big name managers are gonna achieve much more than Cocu, but it's food for thought and a route I wouldn't be surprised to see a new mega rich owner take. 

I'm still in the Steve McClaren / Big Sam camp. 

If and when the new owner comes in maybe he'll want to make a big statement and flex his muscles in front of the footballing world. 

He can't spend his money on players cause of FFP, so perhaps he'll go for a big name manager instead... Rafa Benitez is the first name to spring to mind considering he's been willing to manage in the Championship before, however he's in China right now and I doubt money is an issue.

Current big name managers that are without a job and aren't too overly unrealistic if we threw megabucks at them include: Marco Silva (Last at Everton), Big Sam (Last at Everton), Jürgen Klinsmann (Last at Hertha Berlin), Leonardo Jardim (Last at Monaco), Clarence Seedorf (Last at Cameroon), Roberto Di Matteo (Last at Villa)... Not particularly keen on any of them (although I do like Di Matteo). 

Not sure if a lot of these ex-players / big name managers are gonna achieve much more than Cocu, but it's food for thought and a route I wouldn't be surprised to see a new mega rich owner take. 

I'm still in the Steve McClaren / Big Sam camp. 

Marco Silva could work as could RDM. Not sure others would suit. Depends on how much the owner wants to make a statement.

Truth be told I'm not completely sure, I was always under the impression it didn't count towards backroom staff! 

You could be right. They were genuine questions on my part - i have no idea what is and isn't included for FFP!

6 minutes ago, BriggRam said:

What else is he doing

He earns almost half our yearly revenue in China, so good luck getting him to come here even if he is about to get that Chinese team relegated. He has exactly zero experience of managing a destitute championship team and i very much doubt he'd be the answer we're looking for even if we could afford him.

8 minutes ago, GenBr said:

You could be right. They were genuine questions on my part - i have no idea what is and isn't included for FFP!

He earns almost half our yearly revenue in China, so good luck getting him to come here even if he is about to get that Chinese team relegated. He has exactly zero experience of managing a destitute championship team and i very much doubt he'd be the answer we're looking for even if we could afford him.

Didn't know he was working

In our current position I don't think a big name manager would fancy risking having a relegation to League One on his CV, and I'm not sure that we need that kind of manager right now in any case. We need someone with Championship experience to get us out of this mess, even if it's just a stop gap appointment for the rest of the season. I wouldn't be averse to Mac 3 to get us out of trouble, with maybe the offer of becoming DoF next season if they want a 'big name' manager to come in. That gives the new regime time to plan ahead and hopefully make the right appointment, if getting a foreign or Prem manager is part of their thinking.

It's certainly never dull being a Derby fan!

3 hours ago, Olton Ram said:

In our current position I don't think a big name manager would fancy risking having a relegation to League One on his CV, and I'm not sure that we need that kind of manager right now in any case. We need someone with Championship experience to get us out of this mess, even if it's just a stop gap appointment for the rest of the season. I wouldn't be averse to Mac 3 to get us out of trouble, with maybe the offer of becoming DoF next season if they want a 'big name' manager to come in. That gives the new regime time to plan ahead and hopefully make the right appointment, if getting a foreign or Prem manager is part of their thinking.

It's certainly never dull being a Derby fan!

I would be quite happy for Steve McClaren to come back as a caretaker for the rest of the season, and as suggested maybe offer him Director Of Football next season because I think the new owners will be looking to go down this route. 

3 hours ago, ziggyram59 said:

I would be quite happy for Steve McClaren to come back as a caretaker for the rest of the season, and as suggested maybe offer him Director Of Football next season because I think the new owners will be looking to go down this route. 

Could be something in this (DoF), if Barry the Ram's latest tweet is not him pulling guesses out of thin air......

7 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Just get Mac in for heaven's sake

He won't care where we are in the table,he probably won't care that much how much he is paid.

He will just want to manage Derby once again.

He can get us out of this and get the lads enjoying their football again.

My only issue with Mac (or anyone for that matter) is our lack of strikers.  Mac obviously likes a Chris Martin type.

Waghorn isn't a prolific goal scorer and beyond him there is no one.

I just hope once the takeover and new manager comes in there is scope to bring in a free transfer or 2, because we need them.

Just now, MackworthRamIsGod said:

My only issue with Mac (or anyone for that matter) is our lack of strikers. 

Waghorn isn't a prolific goal scorer and beyond him there is no one.

I just hope once the takeover and new manager comes in there is scope to bring in a free transfer or 2, because we need them.

A free transfer player will not have played for months so will be unfit. Be January until they are so might as well wait until then to get a couple in that we want ?

We are a British born squad (with one or two exceptions) who I guess spent their formative years playing park football with all the blood and thunder that goes with it. 

The Dutch/continental/passy passy is a fairly new concept in grass roots  coaching. Let's just go back to a slightly more blood and thunder aggressive playing style. 

To that end, its why I'm not that totally averse to Rooney being involved in that. Its literally his DNA. Cant play that way anymore but I'm sure has the presence to deliver a plan based upon it.

Archived