New Manager

dantheram

1 hour ago, Pearl Ram said:

What about David Wagner* the former Huddersfield manager ? He might buy into Mel’s vision, he’d certainly bring enthusiasm with him which is a bit on the short side currently.

*Coming from the ‘If something sounds too good to be true it’s because it is too good to be true’ angle and nothing comes of this buy out and Mel is still our owner for a while.

Yes I thought Wagner did a great job at Huddersfield getting them promoted. The way things are looking, it will soon no longer be 'Mel's vision'. Probably a revolving door at PP with lot's of comings and goings. Hope they don't mess with the academy. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When it comes to a new manager I really dont know what we should be looking for, we seem to have tried every type now. 

Foreign style - Cocu

Young/Unproven - Lampard

Ex Rams - Rowett & McClaren

Unproven assistant - Clement

No nonsense - Pearson

None of them have worked, McClaren & Lampard coming the closest by getting us to wembley  probably the most attacking of all of them too.

There are no guarantees when hiring a manager whether proven like Bielsa or unproven like Parker.

I think what I want & what we need as a minimum is someone who likes to play attacking football and will use our youth players too.

1 minute ago, GenBr said:

Thats what his family is worth. That isn't his personal fortune to spend as he sees fit.

He could only have £20 in his pocket for all we know.

Exactly. We will no doubt find out more in due course.....after the deal is done and MR Morris has cashed in his chips and  moved on to his next project. 

21 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Managers available that could be a fit that could take a job in the championship 

Lee Johnson - plays right style of football, would play youngsters, ultimately given big budget at Bristol and didn’t deliver. But young manager with scope to learn and decent experience already. 

Paul Cook - Lower championship level manager, worked with budgets, plays good football. Would he continue the youth development? Does he have the profile for the Sheikh?

Steve McClaren - Knows the club. Would get the short term bounce, get him a number 9 in Jan and he could really make the team sing, but in last few jobs he’s been sacked for not being able to sustain form. Short term at best.

Eddie Howe - Rumoured to be waiting for a prem job but with Sheikh Khaled taking over could he be tempted?

Unproven at this level and/or higher profile:

Liam Rosenior - got the qualifications, knows the game, he’s got something about him, if we go down the unproven route he’d rightly be pissed off if he’s not given the opportunity.

Wayne Rooney - not qualified. England football legend, ambitious driven to be a manager and might have the characteristics to be good one. Famous profile.

Sol Campbell - Famous profile, had two of the toughest managerial gigs in football, incredible job with Macclesfield. Deserves a job higher up the pyramid. Would certainly command respect. 

Foreign manager options

Quique Sanchez Flores - proven with Watford though didn’t work last time and doesn’t stay anywhere long

David Wagner - Great job at Huddersfield. Took a team that had no right to be promoted into the premier league and kept them there. Wasn’t backed hugely. Plays a high energy style.

Michael Laudrup - Great Job at Swansea, Won silverware, unfairly sacked, one of the best players of his generation - Seriously what is he doing at the moment - could the Sheikh entice him.

Marcelino - Good record at Villarreal and Valencia, tends to play 4-4-2 which may not suit here but shows he understands physical element of the game and could be right for the championship - could the Sheikh entice him?

Id love Howe or Laudrup, I’d take Stevie McC as short term fix. Going the unproven route id be ok with Sol Campbell or Liam Rosenior.

But, given his profile is probably a big reason the Sheikh invested in the club - it’s probably going to be Rooney ??‍♂️

Wow. That list is far from inspiring.

I still hope Cocu swings it round but there's now the momentum of a laden oil tanker.

You've omitted Paul Simpson and Jokanović who would be my two preferred options.

I'm grateful for you skipping over the likes of Allardyce, Pardew, Pullis and McCarthy though I'm sure some would take those.

Darren Moore was apparently close before Cocu. I do like Chris Powell. I like Wassall and Nigel but they carry too much baggage for some on here.

Then sentiment would bring in Stimac and Eranio into the running.

I doubt the new owners would be thinking of - or even knowing - Rams legends though. They'll want a "name" so will try for Gerrard or Benitez and end up with Rooney.

1 hour ago, GenBr said:

Thats what his family is worth. That isn't his personal fortune to spend as he sees fit.

He could only have £20 in his pocket for all we know.

Mel would never sell someone with £20 in his pocket mel would only sell to with meger money in his pocket.

58 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Wow. That list is far from inspiring.

I still hope Cocu swings it round but there's now the momentum of a laden oil tanker.

You've omitted Paul Simpson and Jokanović who would be my two preferred options.

I'm grateful for you skipping over the likes of Allardyce, Pardew, Pullis and McCarthy though I'm sure some would take those.

Darren Moore was apparently close before Cocu. I do like Chris Powell. I like Wassall and Nigel but they carry too much baggage for some on here.

Then sentiment would bring in Stimac and Eranio into the running.

I doubt the new owners would be thinking of - or even knowing - Rams legends though. They'll want a "name" so will try for Gerrard or Benitez and end up with Rooney.

Powell has just taken over the running of Spurs academy, Simpson is newly appointed at Bristol City.

Theres not a great deal out there and unattached which enthuses me.

Moore is in a role, so would cost. Same for Rafa and Gerrard.

2 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Powell has just taken over the running of Spurs academy, Simpson is newly appointed at Bristol City.

Theres not a great deal out there and unattached which enthuses me.

Moore is in a role, so would cost. Same for Rafa and Gerrard.

Haven't you heard? We now have pots of money and can buy anyone out of any contract.

Seriously though, I'm with you.... There's no one inspiring available. And certainly not Howe.

I wouldn't want Benitez (more defensive than Cocu would ever be) or Gerrard (dull and only now scraping some kind of form from Rangers) either.

I still dont get why big sam isnt mentioned more. Look at boro with warnock. Out of a relegation fight last season & in a playoff position now. 

Every manager is a risk but id back a big sam type to be less of a risk & almost certain to take us up. Could even put Rooney or Liam as assistant with a view to take over om 3-4 years. 

I think people are against big sam over the potential style of play but who cares it will be better than what we have now. Also he isnt seen as someone that will be around for 10 years due to his age. But who cares no manager will last that long here. The short term aim has to be get out of the division & stay up. We can deal with style of play once were up 

41 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

I still dont get why big sam isnt mentioned more. Look at boro with warnock. Out of a relegation fight last season & in a playoff position now. 

Every manager is a risk but id back a big sam type to be less of a risk & almost certain to take us up. Could even put Rooney or Liam as assistant with a view to take over om 3-4 years. 

I think people are against big sam over the potential style of play but who cares it will be better than what we have now. Also he isnt seen as someone that will be around for 10 years due to his age. But who cares no manager will last that long here. The short term aim has to be get out of the division & stay up. We can deal with style of play once were up 

At present our one aim is to stay in this division because keep playing like this we will be in League 1. I for one wouldn't be against big Sam did decent job at Sunderland and West Ham, and like you say as much as I dislike Warnock he as took Boro from relegation candidates to potential play off candidates. 

9 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Michael Laudrup - Great Job at Swansea, Won silverware, unfairly sacked, one of the best players of his generation - Seriously what is he doing at the moment - could the Sheikh entice him.

Michael Laudrup - Great Job at Swansea, Won silverware, unfairly sacked, one of the best players of his generation - Seriously what is he doing at the moment - could the Sheikh entice him.

A great player definitely and seems like a good manager as well but I can assure you that he is not the person you'd want to present and lead your club. 

I think I'd rather have Giggs.

Archived