New Manager

dantheram

Id still like to see us go for a manager from abroad. The obsession of 'championship experience' is a bit of a myth in my humble opinion. 

They are usually experienced in the championship because they stay in the championship, Gary Rowett being a good example. 

All the best teams ive seen go through this league in recent years have all been managed by people with no championship experience, Bielsa, Farke and Nuno... 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, TheAllestreeRam said:

Id still like to see us go for a manager from abroad. The obsession of 'championship experience' is a bit of a myth in my humble opinion. 

They are usually experienced in the championship because they stay in the championship, Gary Rowett being a good example. 

All the best teams ive seen go through this league in recent years have all been managed by people with no championship experience, Bielsa, Farke and Nuno... 

Like Cocu whose proved to be an unmitigated success. 

2 minutes ago, TheAllestreeRam said:

True haha, it can be a gamble but one worth taking for the chance of uncovering a gem? 

Early days but Reading look pretty good with someone most would likely never have heard of and an average squad. 

We must have bought a Friday afternoon car then with Cocu. 

I have foreseen it.

The next Manager will be Louie Sibley, following Philip Cocu bettering Alex Ferguson's record of overcoming a shaky start and leading the club to hitherto unknown glory. Sibley himself having retired after captaining England to World Cup victory.

ITK

If the Sheikh takes charge i think were looking at someone high profile, a name.  They'll be out to make a statement that their in charge and that the club is moving forwards with more impetus, funds and no how. 

I still think Steve Mac maybe in with a shout but there are plenty of ex-premier and good foreign manager who would jump at the chance of a well paid job at secure,progressive,well funded championship side with a good youth set up, great fan base and facilities ready for the premiership. 

Put you seat belts on I think its going to be one hell of ride.

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Can only reference Legohead as yielding an equally poor league position as Cocu so all the others have been comparitively successful yes. 

Talking of UK managers, Brian Clough got Forest relegated in his last season and they went and built a statue for him.

19 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Can only reference Legohead as yielding an equally poor league position as Cocu so all the others have been comparitively successful yes. 

New managers are a lottery. UK or overseas, previous history means nothing. Pick a name, any name. That is of course you are eating at the top table and we ain't. 

1 minute ago, Angry Ram said:

New managers are a lottery. UK or overseas, previous history means nothing. Pick a name, any name. That is of course you are eating at the top table and we ain't. 

And that was my entire point. We seem to have the anti Midas touch at this club if you reference my other recent posts. 

We've gone for both experienced and novice managers with the same end result. 

24 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

If the Sheikh takes charge i think were looking at someone high profile, a name.  They'll be out to make a statement that their in charge and that the club is moving forwards with more impetus, funds and no how. 

I still think Steve Mac maybe in with a shout but there are plenty of ex-premier and good foreign manager who would jump at the chance of a well paid job at secure,progressive,well funded championship side with a good youth set up, great fan base and facilities ready for the premiership. 

Put you seat belts on I think its going to be one hell of ride.

Does manager wages count to ffp??

5 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

And that was my entire point. We seem to have the anti Midas touch at this club if you reference my other recent posts. 

We've gone for both experienced and novice managers with the same end result. 

It's not a curse on us, it's just that good managers are rare and very few of them can replicate it everywhere (even Brian!). Good managers need a lot of things to go right for them, squad, momentum, cash, support, results, signings, fanbase and - usually - a big dollop of luck as well.

I can't think of one who has been successful elsewhere, then not with us, then have been with someone else. Not sure I can think of one (except Brian) who was successful after being with us, never mind before. Phil Brown is the only one I can recall who did anything near successful after being here.

6 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

It's not a curse on us, it's just that good managers are rare and very few of them can replicate it everywhere (even Brian!). Good managers need a lot of things to go right for them, squad, momentum, cash, support, results, signings, fanbase and - usually - a big dollop of luck as well.

I can't think of one who has been successful elsewhere, then not with us, then have been with someone else. Not sure I can think of one (except Brian) who was successful after being with us, never mind before. Phil Brown is the only one I can recall who did anything near successful after being here.

Maybe it's our turn for lady luck to smile at us this time. It's not like we haven't tried enough different people. 

Archived