New Manager

dantheram

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Not if he gets the job permanently ?

no, the link is in what I believed. 

1, I believed that Cocu would've built a team for relegation etc.....

2, I never believed that Rooney was the solution to building a team etc....

Regardless of whatever happens here-on-in, Rooney or whoever being named manager does NOT negate my belief number 1.

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

David Wagner is a new name.... hmm, can’t say I’d be too confident in his ability to get us scoring again, having watched his Huddersfield and Schalke teams. That said, he did get a poor Huddersfield team up and then kept them up, and he didn’t get a job as big as Schalke for no reason. Probably one of the best names mentioned on paper, but I get a bad feeling about him for some reason.

I suspect he got the Schalke gig because of his reputation as one of Klopp's coaching team at Dortmund. His stint at Huddersfield won't have gone unnoticed either but Schalke are a bit of basketcase & won't have been attractive to top class candidates.

Wagner's teams are generally low scoring, defensive & excessively dull, even if he has had some fleeting success. I'd be very disappointed to see him here & dont think he'd be tolerated long by our fanbase if he did. He's basically a more affable version of Billy Davies.

5 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

no, the link is in what I believed. 

1, I believed that Cocu would've built a team for relegation etc.....

2, I never believed that Rooney was the solution to building a team etc....

Regardless of whatever happens here-on-in, Rooney or whoever being named manager does NOT negate my belief number 1.

But if you sack a Manager most would compare the new Manager with the one you had...Wazza would be worse. I had just about accepted it was time for Cocu to go. However, if I had been told he would be replaced by Rooney I would have stuck with Cocu.....

9 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I suspect he got the Schalke gig because of his reputation as one of Klopp's coaching team at Dortmund. His stint at Huddersfield won't have gone unnoticed either but Schalke are a bit of basketcase & won't have been attractive to top class candidates.

Wagner's teams are generally low scoring, defensive & excessively dull, even if he has had some fleeting success. I'd be very disappointed to see him here & dont think he'd be tolerated long by our fanbase if he did. He's basically a more affable version of Billy Davies.

Worth noting that it started really promisingly at Schalke, before falling apart pretty catastrophically (no win in 18 games I think, including a 0-8 defeat to Bayern).

He implemented a really interesting style of play at Huddersfield and initially at Schalke, very akin to the style of play you saw from the German national side during their successful spell under Low. Funnily enough, it's fallen apart for them, too.

These are well worth a watch @Millenniumram, and for anyone interested in learning a bit more about Wagner:

15 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Yeah, I think he probably would be a disaster. It’s definitely his job now I’ve said that

2 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

IMG-20201129-WA0007.jpeg

Jesus that title made me think we were getting the entire band back together and bringing Sam Rush back to the club.

As for Wagner I hope that is a joke and he is not the best candidate we could come up with.

38 minutes ago, Arsene Titman said:

Not to mention the fact that Schalke sacked him following a run of 18 games without a win. AVOID

When Huddersfield sacked him in mid January he was doing his very best to beat our record. They'd only managed 11 points all season at that point and only got another 5 by the end of the season. You could argue it was expected, but unlike us they'd spent almost £100 million on players during their two seasons in the Prem and still took some of our records from us.

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

Worth noting that it started really promisingly at Schalke, before falling apart pretty catastrophically (no win in 18 games I think, including a 0-8 defeat to Bayern).

He implemented a really interesting style of play at Huddersfield and initially at Schalke, very akin to the style of play you saw from the German national side during their successful spell under Low. Funnily enough, it's fallen apart for them, too.

These are well worth a watch @Millenniumram, and for anyone interested in learning a bit more about Wagner:

Really interesting videos you've found there @Nuwtfly 

I didnt actually read too much into the 8-0 v Bayern (watched it live) as they are capable of doing that to most teams on their day. I did see Schalke on other occasions back end of last season & whilst they were hardworking, they had no threat up front & never seemed to attack in number. Whether that was confidence or tactics, Im not sure.

Quite like the theoretical basis of Wagner's tactics. I like teams that press & teams that are able to mix up the style of attacks...definite argument for saying that is effective in our division. My big concern would be around Wagner's requirement for forward players to be 'situationally aware' which sounds very much like Cocu's philosophy (rigid structure until final 3rd where they have total flexibility) & whilst it makes sense, our players have demonstrated a total inability to master it. Rooney even commented in his opening press conference that they needed 'simpler messages'.

I'd also have concerns about the physical condition of our players to implement the press.

As a final point, Im always nervous about managers who are unable to turnaround bad spells of form. Whilst any team can have bad form, there are some that descend into a downward spiral & Wagner has presided over two now (at Huddersfield & Schalke). Whether thats a tactical inflexibility issue or a personality thing, Im not sure but it doesnt bode well for our current situation. Big personality & experience of turnaround would be 2 key traits Id be looking for.

Wagner took a team that finished 19th to a promotion season the following year. They also defied odds to stay in the PL, all of this with Huddersfield, a squad full of no bodies and a team that out scored Derby that season...which included a stint from SM in charge.

We haven't got a team of goal scorers, we haven't for a team that can keep a clean sheet, he might not be a bad shout.

23 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Wagner took a team that finished 19th to a promotion season the following year. They also defied odds to stay in the PL, all of this with Huddersfield, a squad full of no bodies and a team that out scored Derby that season...which included a stint from SM in charge.

We haven't got a team of goal scorers, we haven't for a team that can keep a clean sheet, he might not be a bad shout.

They only scored 2 more than us and 3 more than Blackburn who got relegated. I'd be more concerned at the amount of goals they conceded given our current position. Very narrow wins got them into their position and that would be very risky for us.

1 minute ago, GenBr said:

They only scored 2 more than us and 3 more than Blackburn who got relegated. I'd be more concerned at the amount of goals they conceded given our current position. Very narrow wins got them into their position and that would be very risky for us.

I'd take 1-0 wins, I'd take any win. No one is going to make us a free scoring team, maybe the best option we have is to shut up shop and go for the narrow wins. Good managers work with what they got and play to their strengths, I'm not quite sure what they are any more with Derby, but he has history of turning ordinary players into ones that can win a football match. 

Think any appointment is going to be risky given our current position.

https://news.google.com/articles/CBMiWmh0dHBzOi8vZm9vdGJhbGxsZWFndWV3b3JsZC5jby51ay9pbnNpZ2h0LWVtZXJnZXMtaW50by1kZXJieXMtc3RhbmNlLW9uLW1vdmUtZm9yLWVmbC1ib3NzL9IBXmh0dHBzOi8vZm9vdGJhbGxsZWFndWV3b3JsZC5jby51ay9pbnNpZ2h0LWVtZXJnZXMtaW50by1kZXJieXMtc3RhbmNlLW9uLW1vdmUtZm9yLWVmbC1ib3NzL2FtcC8?hl=en-GB&gl=GB&ceid=GB%3Aen

If its true that a new owner is spending millions to buy Derby county, why would 1 to 2 million to buy out cooper or any managers contract be an issue.

If you spend millions on a club close to relegation, why would you do that and put an untested and unqualified, inexperienced manager like Rooney at the helm.

Archived