New Manager

dantheram

1 hour ago, Oldben said:

https://news.google.com/articles/CBMiWmh0dHBzOi8vZm9vdGJhbGxsZWFndWV3b3JsZC5jby51ay9pbnNpZ2h0LWVtZXJnZXMtaW50by1kZXJieXMtc3RhbmNlLW9uLW1vdmUtZm9yLWVmbC1ib3NzL9IBXmh0dHBzOi8vZm9vdGJhbGxsZWFndWV3b3JsZC5jby51ay9pbnNpZ2h0LWVtZXJnZXMtaW50by1kZXJieXMtc3RhbmNlLW9uLW1vdmUtZm9yLWVmbC1ib3NzL2FtcC8?hl=en-GB&gl=GB&ceid=GB%3Aen

If its true that a new owner is spending millions to buy Derby county, why would 1 to 2 million to buy out cooper or any managers contract be an issue.

If you spend millions on a club close to relegation, why would you do that and put an untested and unqualified, inexperienced manager like Rooney at the helm.

We had no problem spending around 3 million a piece on Blackman and Jozefzoon, I'm sure 1 million for a good manger wouldnt be a problem surely.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Steve Cooper is willing to move here for some bizzare reason, then I’d pay any reasonable compensation to get him here. It’s surely a few million, and we’d be better off spending that on a good manager than wasting it on a crap journeyman in January. He’s doing a fantastic job at Swansea.

For the same reason we can't go on a spending spree on players and that is FFP. No idea where we stand in regards to FFP atm, but the fact we had to get Cocu to take less than he was entitled to doesn't suggest to me that we have a lot of room to play with.

11 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Really interesting videos you've found there @Nuwtfly 

I didnt actually read too much into the 8-0 v Bayern (watched it live) as they are capable of doing that to most teams on their day. I did see Schalke on other occasions back end of last season & whilst they were hardworking, they had no threat up front & never seemed to attack in number. Whether that was confidence or tactics, Im not sure.

Quite like the theoretical basis of Wagner's tactics. I like teams that press & teams that are able to mix up the style of attacks...definite argument for saying that is effective in our division. My big concern would be around Wagner's requirement for forward players to be 'situationally aware' which sounds very much like Cocu's philosophy (rigid structure until final 3rd where they have total flexibility) & whilst it makes sense, our players have demonstrated a total inability to master it. Rooney even commented in his opening press conference that they needed 'simpler messages'.

I'd also have concerns about the physical condition of our players to implement the press.

As a final point, Im always nervous about managers who are unable to turnaround bad spells of form. Whilst any team can have bad form, there are some that descend into a downward spiral & Wagner has presided over two now (at Huddersfield & Schalke). Whether thats a tactical inflexibility issue or a personality thing, Im not sure but it doesnt bode well for our current situation. Big personality & experience of turnaround would be 2 key traits Id be looking for.

Oh you've put me off now!

10 hours ago, BIllyD said:

I'd take 1-0 wins, I'd take any win. No one is going to make us a free scoring team, maybe the best option we have is to shut up shop and go for the narrow wins.

I think the point @GenBr was making (and I agree with) was that we're conceding mostly daft goals from scrambles or lapses in concentration

I actually don't think our defence is as bad as the results suggest this season - The biggest problem is not taking our chances at the other end - I doubt any manager anywhere in the known universe is going to get us to stop cutting out the daft mistakes well enough to get 1-0 wins

I’d still go for mac3 who had a reputation at Middlesbrough for developing young players.

with a mandate to do exactly that and build a young squad

Alternatively i might be tempted by Andy boothroyd  

but whoever it is would have to convince me that they had done their research on us and had a plan. 

i wouldn’t allow the club to be a vehicle for someone else’s career progression. 

11 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

There's only one man who ticks all of the boxes at the moment.

image.png.ee6dd85a03b167744fa931d7e7d0307d.png

Caretaker until the end of the season. As he'll ensure out Championship status, we'll be able to cast our net a little wider, rather than settling for who we can get now.

I think a caretaker will be the way we go.

If the new owners have an idea of who they want, its highly unlikely they would join in our current predicament.

We just need to somehow retain our championship status and then everything changes in the summer.

It's interesting to note that when Wolves were initially purchased the first season was fairly uninspiring; I think they only just survived the first season and then went for it once they got their man in charge.

10 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I think a caretaker will be the way we go.

If the new owners have an idea of who they want, its highly unlikely they would join in our current predicament.

We just need to somehow retain our championship status and then everything changes in the summer.

It's interesting to note that when Wolves were initially purchased the first season was fairly uninspiring; I think they only just survived the first season and then went for it once they got their man in charge.

You are correct. They finished around 15th that season. They sacked Kenny Jackett when they arrived, hired Walter Zenga, sacked him in October, hired Paul Lambert, sacked him in May. 

Then they hired Nuno and the rest is history. I wonder if these guys will have anything to do with the super agent Jorge Mendes, a way around FFP with loans. ?

"A decision on who will be the next permanent manager of the Rams is expected once the takeover is completed."

"Derby have a list of names they are working to although they had yet to speak to or interview candidates as of Saturday afternoon."

"The sudden fluctuation in the odds of Terry, and Swansea City boss Steve Cooper earlier last week, was a surprise, according to DerbyshireLive sources."

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/Derby-county-takeover-manager-rooney-4748858

Only one choice for me and that's John Terry for me with Mac providing oversight. That said, if Conway is correct, he's no longer interested. What an absolute mess. If nothing else I'd have retained Cocu until we had his successor in place. The guy was such a gent he'd no doubt have been OK with acting as a 'placeholder' but that ship has sailed. Perhaps Rooney-ball will work out but I'm struggling to see a draw at home to Wycombe as any kind of 'green shoot' as things stand.

Archived