Is Rooney The man To Take Us Forward?

Comrade 86

Is Rooney the right man for the manager's position?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

If we beat Rotherham, the Rooney sleeper train will keep rolling on. But anything less and I think he’ll have blown his chance.

But Cocu got time to bring his own players in?! We are so short of goal-scoring ability up front I've been wondering if Marriott is allowed to play (if fit)!!! WTF ay.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Who would you have bought on for Lawrence?

Ibe, it's clear isn't ready for an extended spell. Waghorn and Joz to the right? We say that, not the best choice. We're somewhat limited in our choices still. But for me the positive impact was when we were struggling the changes kept us in the game, simple as that. We need a goalscorer.

I agree on Ibe, we need to slowly build his game time up, Whittaker has played well in his limited this season (for me), Waghorn looked good when he came on against Millwall and didn't really touch the ball against Brentford, maybe bring Stretton or Sibley on and move Knight out wide. Any of the latter 4 would have been my choice depending on how they were doing in training. 

We didn't make any changes when we were struggling today. None of the subs today added anything. Same as Wednesday, last Saturday (bar Waghorn), or the game before that or the game before that etc. 

38 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Nonsense, there are managers out there that are currently better than Rooney - you name them. But then convince me that they'd come here at present!

Big Sam was pretty much pitching for the job on telly last weekend. Leaving aside his style, if a guy with that reputation is interested surely that proves the club is an attractive prospect.

Paul Cook has been discussed on the New Manager thread numerous times...given his previous biggest gig was relegation threatened Wigan, I dont think its too fanciful to think he'd be keen to join us. My number 1 choice Nigel Adkins, again out of work & last job was the mighty Hull.

What all the above managers have in common is that they have previously steered in trouble sides out of danger and then kicked on. They'll know the situation & be able to hit the ground running, Rooney by contrast is a learner driver.

35 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

But Cocu got time to bring his own players in?! We are so short of goal-scoring ability up front I've been wondering if Marriott is allowed to play (if fit)!!! WTF ay.

I think there is still some doubt over whether Rooney deserves the job permanently.

While you could argue that Rooney is being hamstrung by what transpired during Cocu’s reign, I think you would expect most managers - interim or otherwise - to see games like Wycombe and Coventry at home and Rotherham away as the games to make an impression.

Failure to win in any of those key games will overshadow the overall improvements in making us more solid and harder to beat.

Being unbeaten is nice but it doesn’t count for much if the teams around us start winning.

Say Forest or Wednesday win in midweek and say Rotherham beat us on Saturday, suddenly Rooney’s short time in charge takes on a completely different feel.

I feel the same as quite a few others on this thread. We're ok. We're better. But we're not yet good, and I still think a different manager would do better with these players. The thing is though, being in limbo really isn't going to help us. We need to get a move on and make a decision on management. 

There has to be a better way for us to set up to get the most out of our attacking players. 

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

I think it absolutely can be justified. We aren't out of danger, and I don't think this is the situation where you hire a rookie manager. 

THIS. 
we’ve not got the luxury of time or plenty of points on the board. 

Fwiw, I am not sure you can knock Rooney too much today, or in recent games (his subs vs Coventry - or was it Wycombe? - being the principal blip).  The team played well today but lacks a quality forward, or two. Still unsure why so many are anti-Rooney. 

4 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

THIS. 
we’ve not got the luxury of time or plenty of points on the board. 

28 games to go, and one goal extra and we wouldn’t be in a relegation position tonight. How much time are you wanting? Are you still hoping for a play-off place? Chill buddy.

hammock GIF

16 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Still unsure why so many are anti-Rooney. 

Can't speak for others, but my reasons for being so are...

1) The scenario that led to him being in this position in the first place. Doesn't sit right with me. This might be because I was so keen on Cocu, but it just doesn't seem right to me that he was moreorless appointed his successor by the media before Cocu had even gone, and has now jumped into the hotseat ahead of other more qualified candidates. Just feels a bit like "jobs for the famous boys" to me, but that's just my opinion.

2) An overwhelming feeling that now is just not the appropriate time for a rookie manager. He's making errors in games at the moment, as @rynnyhighlighted, that managers learning on the job make. I don't think we should be entertaining that right now. I, like some others, feel we need a manager with experience. For what it's worth, I'd be more than happy to see Rooney be part of that coaching team. I just don't want a learner driver in the driving seat. For the same reason (and some others) I wouldn't want Terry.

Again, it's all about opinions. I for one find myself wondering how people can be so vehemently behind his appointment. But that's their opinion, I guess!

8 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

28 games to go, and one goal extra and we wouldn’t be in a relegation position tonight. How much time are you wanting? Are you still hoping for a play-off place? Chill buddy.

hammock GIF

Wouldn’t say no. 
What I’m getting at is that it’s so easy to drift into the league below thinking your way. 

12 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

The same people who want him in are saying in...the same people who want him gone are saying gone. I don't think that's fickle at all. If anything it's fairly consistent ?

Fair enough. I wasn't registering individuals' "votes", just the general noise.

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Big Sam was pretty much pitching for the job on telly last weekend. Leaving aside his style, if a guy with that reputation is interested surely that proves the club is an attractive prospect.

Who pays out the huge cash wodge he'll want? Mel?

2 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

I agree with a lot of what @Nuwtflysays in his post..... someone has to get the ball rolling and come out and say either:

a) Job is his

b) We announce someone else

This muddling position we are in is hurting the club more.

In what way? Things seem to have stabilised and improved...

Archived