Is Rooney The man To Take Us Forward?

Comrade 86

Is Rooney the right man for the manager's position?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Are we signing Warnock then?

What are you even on about!? Funny how I gave you two alternatives to a previous post when you asked this.... maybe because it might be viable and more sensible perhaps? 

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Ellafella said:

Cocu had lots more time. If Wazza has another 3 weeks I think you’ll see the error of your ways by then. ?

And I will hold my hands up gladly. Like I always do when I get things wrong......

Its a shame (not you) see admitting being wrong as a sign of weakness and double down, this is a more general point though...

3 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

What are you even on about!? Funny how I gave you two alternatives to a previous post when you asked this.... maybe because it might be viable and more sensible perhaps? 

Viable how? We're in the middle of a takeover - who pays? Who will sign to be sacked after the takeover?!

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Viable how? We're in the middle of a takeover - who pays? Who will sign to be sacked after the takeover?!

Go back and look who I suggested.... you wanted suggestions I’ve given them.

Not hard to scroll back I quoted your post ?

57 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

You can’t ignore the point that easily. Things take time. For me, there’s real progress. Cocu was 10x more “experienced” yet Rooney has been 10x better already. 

That'll be why we've picked up 10x more points per game then.

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Cup half full or half empty? I think the cup is filling up...we had some very promising attacks today against a solid side who’ve conceded few goals and who were 8th pre-match. Much improved which your stats don’t illustrate. I’d say we’re on an upward trajectory and very close to clicking. 

I feel the team is in a similar position to where we were post Bournemouth. The players were working hard, we were creating more chances but we needed that clinical edge. From Norwich to Bournemouth we generally had a good half in each game. A half you would say we could and should be in front.

I believed today would be that turning point but it feels like we have spent 6/7 games to get back to a point where we can and should kick on. That is not the fault of Rooney, we as a club have put him in a difficult situation, he can't really lose but we can.

Always a fan of Rooney as player for his desire and will to win. Hated to see that spark go out for us as a player. If it is back as a manager it will serve him well . But I am not convinced of the big turn around some are seeing.

I hope we make a decision soon on the manager and let everyone just get on. I am not as against it being Rooney as I was. But I almost feel we have to give it him now. Which we could have done 7 games ago!

4 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

I feel the team is in a similar position to where we were post Bournemouth. The players were working hard, we were creating more chances but we needed that clinical edge. From Norwich to Bournemouth we generally had a good half in each game. A half you would say we could and should be in front.

I believed today would be that turning point but it feels like we have spent 6/7 games to get back to a point where we can and should kick on. That is not the fault of Rooney, we as a club have put him in a difficult situation, he can't really lose but we can.

Always a fan of Rooney as player for his desire and will to win. Hated to see that spark go out for us as a player. If it is back as a manager it will serve him well . But I am not convinced of the big turn around some are seeing.

I hope we make a decision soon on the manager and let everyone just get on. I am not as against it being Rooney as I was. But I almost feel we have to give it him now. Which we could have done 7 games ago!

It could well be as you say (and the appointment of WR may have already been decided). It probably hasn't eluded Rooney that as things stand, if he is given the job, finishing 4th from bottom will perhaps be considered a success. A somewhat slightly lower bar than the one set for Frank Lampard, but that's where we are....

46 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

Seems to be a cake and eat it perspective. 

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Difficult to get a really good shine on a t**d, needs a transfer window at least.

You are saying the players are poor, so then why would another transfer window make a difference?

The recruitment team involved in assembling the current group of players will be exactly the same as the one tasked with making signings in January and beyond.

So just more poor players likely to be added to the mix, surely?

What is Rooney going to offer in terms of player recruitment that he couldn’t have already as a key figure behind the scenes for the past 12 months?

Happy with the players, the performance, and the way we dominated a team that would have been in the top 6 with a win.

Rooney is sorting it out, we'll start turning these draws into wins. I can't see a team in this league who are any better than us.

Who do we think would beat us at the moment?  

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Arguement flawed by no home fans. Totally negates home advantage. 

No such thing as home advantage?

Tell that to Bournemouth who have won twice as many games at home compared to away from home.

Tell that to Watford who have won seven games at home and picked up 22 of their 33 points at home.

Tell that to Middlesbrough who have picked up almost three times as many points at home compared to away from home.

Perhaps you could argue home advantage is less pronounced these days, but by and large it is still there.

Regardless of whether it’s home or away, if you are telling me you are happy with three points from nine from the last three home games - Wycombe, Coventry, Stoke - then you are setting the bar very low for Rooney.

4 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

No such thing as home advantage?

Tell that to Bournemouth who have won twice as many games at home compared to away from home.

Tell that to Watford who have won seven games at home and picked up 22 of their 33 points at home.

Tell that to Middlesbrough who have picked up almost three times as many points at home compared to away from home.

I happen to have 24 children (rate shaggers me and mrs Parsnip are) and I gave them all a coin and told them to flip them 18 times each. 

I said that "tails never fails" was a myth.

But try telling that to Clementine who got 11 straight tails!

Try telling that to Diesel who got twice as many tails as heads!

Try telling that to Barnaby McBain who only got two heads and one where it got stuck sideways in a... I dunno a grate ot summat.

12 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Regardless of whether it’s home or away, if you are telling me you are happy with three points from nine from the last three home games - Wycombe, Coventry, Stoke - then you are setting the bar very low for Rooney.

Gotta give Rooney a chance now. It looks like he's literally just lacking a striker.

7 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Happy with the players, the performance, and the way we dominated a team that would have been in the top 6 with a win.

Rooney is sorting it out, we'll start turning these draws into wins. I can't see a team in this league who are any better than us.

Who do we think would beat us at the moment?  

If the wins come, I am sure the vast majority will revert to your thinking.

I am not sure I share your confidence, mind you.

We are making ourselves more solid and more competitive, but we haven’t quite reached levels that would strike fear into anyone.

Less than three weeks ago, we were getting hammered 3-0 by Boro.

There are definitely positives to take away from Rooney’s time in charge, but let’s not pretend we still don’t have a hell of a long way to go to correct matters.

5 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

If the wins come, I am sure the vast majority will revert to your thinking.

I am not sure I share your confidence, mind you.

We are making ourselves more solid and more competitive, but we haven’t quite reached levels that would strike fear into anyone.

Less than three weeks ago, we were getting hammered 3-0 by Boro.

There are definitely positives to take away from Rooney’s time in charge, but let’s not pretend we still don’t have a hell of a long way to go to correct matters.

I don't believe any team in the league is better than us. 

34 minutes ago, Beetroot said:

Gotta give Rooney a chance now. It looks like he's literally just lacking a striker.

He is getting his chance, and he’s doing OK.        

For me, I can see the good he has done but I am not convinced it’s enough to give him the job permanently.

It remains a big risk as we’re only a few bad results from a rookie manager being in over his head.

He still needs 1-2 reassuring performances to get everyone on side and that is fair enough.

Seven points from five games is hardly form for the ages. It just seems that way because things had got desperately desperate under Cocu.

As an example, if we had beaten Stoke and Millwall, drew with Brentford, but lost to Wycombe and Coventry instead, would the enthusiasm for Rooney be quite the same? I am not sure at all.

For me its not about if Rooney is the right man to take the team forward as the manager.

Its not about exciting football if the clubs of the bottom of the table and isn't relegated.

The season is a right off, the reality is Derby probably would do very well to finish mid table.

I dont blame the players they are I  a slump, since cocu was the wrong manager for the club.

As to Rooney, I'm sure it hurts him when the team fails to score. 

Rooney is one the greatest strikers that England has ever seen, if you look at his playing career and what he achieved you would have to that for most of his career he carved out a name for himself by scoring a lot of goals.

I read he sometimes seeks advice from his former manager Alex Ferguson, who in my opinion was britains greatest manager of all time.

Rooney is doing a lot for the club to turn it around, the financial package aside as I dont think that's whats motivating Rooney to want to take the club forward.

I've been wanting to see an experienced manager at the helm but is that's whats important, its not guaranteed to resolve derbys problems.

Rooney could take a job as a manager at many clubs with his pedigree as a player but instead he's passionate about staying at the helm of what was a sinking ship.

Yes he might make a few rookie mistakes but so far he's not losing games.

He does seem to be playing a wenger style of football, defensive 4231, but do the players really have the confidence at present to defeat the bigger clubs on the division when they have been at the bottom of the table. 

Rooney is changing that.

The team needs strengthening, hopefully that will happen given time

Archived