Is Rooney The man To Take Us Forward?

Comrade 86

Is Rooney the right man for the manager's position?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, oldtimeram said:

It would be hard to justify binning Rooney at this time based upon results to date and the improved performances 

One win, four draws and the defeats to Boro and Bristol City?

We have improved a bit. Not massively. A bit. But we're not picking up the amount of points we need to be at all. 

I think it absolutely can be justified. We aren't out of danger, and I don't think this is the situation where you hire a rookie manager. 

Just now, oldtimeram said:

It would be hard to justify binning Rooney at this time based upon results to date and the improved performances 

Played 5, won 1, scored 3? And if we attribute Middlesbrough & Bristol to him as part of the 4 man committee, 7 points in 7 games i.e. relegation form

Its very far from a compelling case to retain him.

3 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I agree with you, very positive start. Said so in the match thread. But the rest of the game, second half especially, was disappointing in my opinion. It's another two points dropped. That's six dropped now under Rooney

The disappointing thing about the 2nd half was when we started to look threatening with Jozwiak down the right we brought the subs on and moved Jozwiak to the left. Why change our biggest threat? 

For me the biggest thing is he hasn't shown the ability to make a positive impact during the game. We start brightly but once the opposition adjusts to counter us we don't seem to have any response to that. The Wycombe game being the biggest example of that. 

Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

I think it is too simplistic to say that bringing a striker in will solve our problems. We need a creative player too who can creat the chances...

Or stop playing 2 DMs? 

1 minute ago, rynny said:

The disappointing thing about the 2nd half was when we started to look threatening with Jozwiak down the right we brought the subs on and moved Jozwiak to the left. Why change our biggest threat? 

For me the biggest thing is he hasn't shown the ability to make a positive impact during the game. We start brightly but once the opposition adjusts to counter us we don't seem to have any response to that. The Wycombe game being the biggest example of that. 

Completely agree with you, @rynny

And that comes from inexperience I think. Lampard used to do the same, he even admitted as much on a recent podcast with Eddie Hearn.

It's not Wayne's fault. It's what you expect. But it's the fault of those above him that he's still in this situation. We can't afford to have a manager learning on the job right now. There's too much at stake this season. League One would absolutely destroy this club. 

19 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Let's be straight here, Roy, whoever I say you are going to disagree with because you have very clearly set your Rooney stall out. 

Nonsense, there are managers out there that are currently better than Rooney - you name them. But then convince me that they'd come here at present!

21 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

You can say look how Hughton and Pulis have done...I would say look how Warnock's done.

It all depends on who you appoint. 

? It's all about who you appoint, yeah if only I'd thought of that.

So Warnock is he coming or Jokanovich or Rafa or just a couple of old hasbeens looking for a final pay-off?

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Nonsense, there are managers out there that are currently better than Rooney - you name them. But then convince me that they'd come here at present!

I think you need to re read his post why he hasn’t bothered - he’s given you the answer there 

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think plenty of managers would come here. I don't really see why you think they wouldn't. New owners through the door with money to spend. A young, talented but raw squad who a manager could really take on a journey. A huge fanbase, beautiful stadium, excellent training facilities, and the chance to quickly enamour yourself with supporters by keeping us up. That's a great prospect for a manager.

16 minutes ago, rynny said:

For me the biggest thing is he hasn't shown the ability to make a positive impact during the game.

Who would you have bought on for Lawrence?

Ibe, it's clear isn't ready for an extended spell. Waghorn and Joz to the right? We say that, not the best choice. We're somewhat limited in our choices still. But for me the positive impact was when we were struggling the changes kept us in the game, simple as that. We need a goalscorer.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

? It's all about who you appoint, yeah if only I'd thought of that.

So Warnock is he coming or Jokanovich or Rafa or just a couple of old hasbeens looking for a final pay-off?

This is why I can't bring myself to debate these sorts of things with you, Roy. 

Final thing I will say: you can love Rooney as much as you want, but if your only response to those who don't share the same opinion as you is to mock/ridicule/laugh react to every post, then don't be surprised if they just give up trying to engage with you in any meaningful discussion. 

26 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

mean, this is a question of opinions, isn't it? I could give you a list of managers who I think would be better than Rooney, but is there much point? Let's be straight here, Roy, whoever I say you are going to disagree with because you have very clearly set your Rooney stall out. 

He had a pretty significant wobble after Middlesbrough.

Reminds me of the present Mrs Devil, prizes a clean sheet and keeping it tight at the back over penetration.

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

This is why I can't bring myself to debate these sorts of things with you, Roy. 

You haven't debated anything - just said we should get an experienced ,manager in. I have suggested a couple of ways why this is extremely unlikely at present. But you keep saying lets do it, without saying how!

I think we are talking fine margins at the moment. If we had found a winner today, you’d be looking at Rooney solo man in charge, 5 games, 3 wins and 3 out of 5 clean sheets. Instead the draw does dampen it a little - but again pick up a win against Swansea and suddenly we go into the Rotherham game with a lot of confidence - I think if picks up at least one win and remains unbeaten in next two - give it him till the end of the season. Anything less we aren’t picking up enough momentum and may need more experience in charge. 

I can think of two clubs, Wednesday and Notts, that have gone down the experienced manager route recently, neither are exactly setting the league on fire with positive results.

I don’t think Rooney is doing too badly compared to the two examples above. Our shortcomings are there for all to see but I’m up for giving him the tools and seeing what he can make of the job.

Will he get the opportunity to bring in what he thinks he needs ? That’s for another thread I think.

Rooney’s hopes of landing the job will come down to the Rotherham game now, I feel.

The Swansea game, given their position in the table and their confidence coming off a huge win v Cardiff, will be harsh to judge Rooney on. It’s a free hit. Any points will be a bonus.

If we beat Rotherham, the Rooney sleeper train will keep rolling on. But anything less and I think he’ll have blown his chance.

Archived