Is Rooney The man To Take Us Forward?

Comrade 86

Is Rooney the right man for the manager's position?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

21 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Home draw Wycombe 

Home draw Coventry

Chorus: "Rooney out, Rooney out"

Away win Millwall 

Away draw Brentford 

Chorus: "Rooney in, Rooney in"

Home draw Stoke

Chorus: "Rooney out, Rooney out"

Talk about fickle.

Home draw Swansea.

Talk about a statistical fickle pickle.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

I think there is still some doubt over whether Rooney deserves the job permanently.

While you could argue that Rooney is being hamstrung by what transpired during Cocu’s reign, I think you would expect most managers - interim or otherwise - to see games like Wycombe and Coventry at home and Rotherham away as the games to make an impression.

Failure to win in any of those key games will overshadow the overall improvements in making us more solid and harder to beat.

Being unbeaten is nice but it doesn’t count for much if the teams around us start winning.

Say Forest or Wednesday win in midweek and say Rotherham beat us on Saturday, suddenly Rooney’s short time in charge takes on a completely different feel.

...all future hypotheticals. Hard to justify an argument on. 

3 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

In what way? Things seem to have stabilised and improved...

1 win in 7 and 3 goals in that time in my opinion isn’t the required improvement.

If this was anyone else we would be quite correctly concerned.....

We are still someone in temporary charge. We do need an answer sharpish on what and will be permanent. Let’s make the decision sooner rather than later because we are still limping 

Just now, Mafiabob said:

1 win in 7 and 3 goals in that time in my opinion isn’t the required improvement.

If this was anyone else we would be quite correctly concerned.....

We are still someone in temporary charge. We do need an answer sharpish on what and will be permanent. Let’s make the decision sooner rather than later because we are still limping 

Cup half full or half empty? I think the cup is filling up...we had some very promising attacks today against a solid side who’ve conceded few goals and who were 8th pre-match. Much improved which your stats don’t illustrate. I’d say we’re on an upward trajectory and very close to clicking. 

4 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Cup half full or half empty? I think the cup is filling up...we had some very promising attacks today against a solid side who’ve conceded few goals and who were 8th pre-match. Much improved which your stats don’t illustrate. I’d say we’re on an upward trajectory and very close to clicking. 

I think a lot of fans have set a very low bar for Rooney that wouldn’t be afforded for any other person in charge. 

Defensively, granted - but scoring goals win us games..... we are not doing that.

As for Stoke, lot of players out.... and we are pretty much, apart from Davies at full strength.... think that concerns me more.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Who would you put up front to aim at the stars?

Wassall and/or Bowyer - until end of the season. If it’s to do with financials.

The only two who’ve previously managed at this level (seeing as Mac is a “technical director”)

We might get a little stability and more out the players..... also they’ll know them both already. 

7 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

but scoring goals win us games..... we are not doing that.

Whoever is manager.... Until January - at least, possibly longer if the takeover doesn't happen - it's the same squad. And that squad is woefully short up front.

I'm not sure which manager could make us score more goals - we're playing reasonably well, just failing in the final third.

5 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

I think a lot of fans have set a very low bar for Rooney that wouldn’t be afforded for any other person in charge. 

Defensively, granted - but scoring goals win us games..... we are not doing that.

As for Stoke, lot of players out.... and we are pretty much, apart from Davies at full strength.... think that concerns me more.

Ok. But I disagree @Mafiabob. Has Chris Hughton had as much of an impact at F@rest?.

We were unlucky not to score 3 today ...Kazim So unlucky. 2 Vg saves v Lawrence and Clarke. 

It’s coming. Would be silly to clear the decks now for yet another manager. And I’ll cancel my season ticket if it’s Allardyce. 

6 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

...all future hypotheticals. Hard to justify an argument on.

I think Rooney’s prospects are hanging in the balance and the Rotherham game will be the tipping point. 

Four points from six and back to back clean sheets away from home and a general improvement in our defensive structure and organisation are the obvious positives.

But that is balanced out by failing to win in the three home games. Home games should be your bread and butter and the stars aligned for Rooney to shine. 

We were pitted against two struggling sides who at the time had some of the poorest away records in the division, and a Stoke side who were missing some important players.

He has by no means disgraced himself but if you are giving a caretaker manager 6-7 games to make a claim for the job, he has to show some X factor.

Has Rooney done that? Not yet, for me.

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

He has by no means disgraced himself but if you are giving a caretaker manager 6-7 games to make a claim for the job, he has to show some X factor.

Difficult to get a really good shine on a t**d, needs a transfer window at least.

9 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I think Rooney’s prospects are hanging in the balance and the Rotherham game will be the tipping point. 

Four points from six and back to back clean sheets away from home and a general improvement in our defensive structure and organisation are the obvious positives.

But that is balanced out by failing to win in the three home games. Home games should be your bread and butter and the stars aligned for Rooney to shine. 

We were pitted against two struggling sides who at the time had some of the poorest away records in the division, and a Stoke side who were missing some important players.

Has Rooney done that? Not yet, for me.

Arguement flawed by no home fans. Totally negates home advantage. 

18 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Ok. But I disagree @Mafiabob. Has Chris Hughton had as much of an impact at F@rest?.

We were unlucky not to score 3 today ...Kazim So unlucky. 2 Vg saves v Lawrence and Clarke. 

It’s coming. Would be silly to clear the decks now for yet another manager. And I’ll cancel my season ticket if it’s Allardyce. 

I’m not interested in Forest whatsoever, I care about what’s going on here - but if we are comparing impact, Boro were  on their backsides when Warnock came in..... look where they are now. But he’s a “dinosaur” to some on here.

Swings and roundabouts. 

Just now, Mafiabob said:

I’m not interested in Forest whatsoever, I care about what’s going on here - but if we are comparing impact, Boro we’re on their backsides when Warnock came in..... look where they are now. But he’s a “dinosaur” to some on here.

Swings and roundabouts. 

You can’t ignore the point that easily. Things take time. For me, there’s real progress. Cocu was 10x more “experienced” yet Rooney has been 10x better already. 

4 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

You can’t ignore the point that easily. Things take time. For me, there’s real progress. Cocu was 10x more “experienced” yet Rooney has been 10x better already. 

We will agree to disagree on him being better. Plus I didn't ignore the point easily, I have given another comparison..... 

Archived