Abu Derby County

tinman

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only sort of investor I could see getting involved is one who covers yearly losses, at a fixed amount, in exchange for equity.

Say £20m a year, in return for 20% of the club. 

At the end of the 5 years, Mel would no longer own anything other than the stadium, so would no longer be a related party. £20m for PP in the championship, £40m if we're in the Prem.

1 hour ago, Warwick Ram said:

To be honest the more I read and hear the more Mel is reminding me of Mike Ashley.

Mike took over Newcastle and was a fan with plenty of cash. It looked promising. He then realised just how much is needed to spend to be really successful.

He loses interest and stops really investing or spending money unless he really needs to.

There is a small amount of success but ultimately he wants out and looks for investment, which so far hasn’t materialised for whatever reason.

You could not be more wrong.

Mike Ashley is not a Newcastle fan. He bought Newcastle for an opportunity to promote his businesses, mainly Sports Direct.

If Mel called Pride Park the Candy Crush Arena and put advertising boards up everywhere with Candy Crush on I’d say you may have half a chance of comparing the two. 

6 minutes ago, derby8 said:

Wouldn't pay more than £100m. Somewhere between the £60m which may not include all the assets and £100m absolute maximum. Based largely on relativities recalling other sale/for sale prices in recent years, Newcastle, Burnley, Sunderland, Wigan, etc. A cash investor will likely have lots of clubs to choose from this year so can drive a hard bargain. For all we know the £60m might include the stadium...

What other clubs have sold for is largely irrelevant.

Would be very surprised if £60m included the stadium.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Id guess it is a bit of both

It's around £5m a year running cost for the academy, £1m of which is a FA grant.

Times that by his length of ownership, add on the improvements in the infrastructure, such as the hydro complex, new pitches and indoor area, and the cages for 5 a side, and it's close enough to £35m invested.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Ground would cost maybe £80m.

Or lease it for £1m a year.

Guess it depends how much potential they think is there for generating more income from it.

Hadn't seen the details of the lease. How long is the deal and how much ?

Not sure why everyone is so convinced the stadium won’t be part of the deal. 

I’m pretty sure they would be buying the businesses (holding companies) for a combined figure, which wouldn’t require the break up of asset value for disclosure purposes. 

Theres no law whatsoever that means Mel has to sell the stadium for any specific price, let alone exactly £80m! 

Its within Mel’s wont to say “buy the club and I’ll throw in t’stadium for free”! Nobody could protest. 

Just now, BIllyD said:

Hadn't seen the details of the lease. How long is the deal and how much ?

Trying to remember where I saw it, pretty sure it was somewhere in the findings of the EFL investigation.

From memory it was a 99 year lease at £1m per annum. 

Also, read somewhere different that there were numerous covenants included to protect the long term future of the club.

When I get half an hour I will have a sniff around and try and put up a link to the articles.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Trying to remember where I saw it, pretty sure it was somewhere in the findings of the EFL investigation.

From memory it was a 99 year lease at £1m per annum. 

Also, read somewhere different that there were numerous covenants included to protect the long term future of the club.

When I get half an hour I will have a sniff around and try and put up a link to the articles.

Very good deal if correct, especially if we are protected.

I also wonder if the same  was a reason for the increase in the "rich list", I suspect that the two combined are worth more that just Derby previously. Also highlights that some of his wealth is never going to generate immediate cash.

3 hours ago, derby8 said:

The current price seems to be £60m, unclear whether includes stadium, so assumed somewhere under £100m might be fully inclusive of everything. A sensible investor would want the club and stadium together.

I belive if the club owns the stadium then depreciation counts towards P&S. If this figure is more than the rent (just over £1m) then it would make more sense not to buy the stadium as well. As Mel wouldn't be a related party, he could choose not to charge any rent at all, meaning we're in a much better P&S position without the stadium. I'd be surprised if that happened though.

11 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Very good deal if correct, especially if we are protected.

I also wonder if the same  was a reason for the increase in the "rich list", I suspect that the two combined are worth more that just Derby previously. Also highlights that some of his wealth is never going to generate immediate cash.

I think part of Steve Gibson's complaint about the who deal was that the ground was being under rented to the club.

32 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

What other clubs have sold for is largely irrelevant.

Would be very surprised if £60m included the stadium.

Agree irrelevant. The deal price for Derby would be as agreed. But a prospective purchaser would be armed with all the other sale/for sale prices as comparators.

47 minutes ago, derby8 said:

Would seek to satisfy the criteria now and get on with it.

Maybe he'd like to see how they run the club and make sure they are not just asset strippers that would wind the club up and sell PP and Moor farm to developers. 

Archived