Abu Derby County

tinman

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

The point is though that a club in the championship isn’t going to generate much return on investment(if any) unlike a premier league club. 

You could buy a lovely modern, well designed shop with free parking in the middle of nowhere but, it’s never going to earn anywhere near as much as a shop in a prime location. Hence why prime sites are far more expensive.

The PL are the equivalent of a prime location whilst everything outside is, financially, like being in the middle of nowhere. One answer is of course to buy at “cheap” championship prices and then get into the PL but, we all know that isn’t easy and is probably going to need a load more investment (capex for purchasing players and revex for their inflated wages) which is a big risk and restricted by FFP.

Agree. Derby though would be among the best candidates to grow. Modern stadium available, could be expanded, commercial opportunities. Sole occupier, no rugby team also playing there. Think Aston Villa showed need for rich owners and investment to get to PL and then to stay there.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, derby8 said:

Agree. Derby though would be among the best candidates to grow. Modern stadium available, could be expanded, commercial opportunities. Sole occupier, no rugby team also playing there. Think Aston Villa showed need for rich owners and investment to get to PL and then to stay there.

Not until Stoke visit.

1 hour ago, James Pond said:

And at least 8 months of paying out wages when there's hardly owt coming in, You'd need to be a billionaire not multi millionaire in todays Championship World.

Agree. Difficult times. My game plan would be to buy club with stadium freehold. That's a must, otherwise no deal. Then take stock for a while and consider opportunities. It's possible to run a sustainable club in the championship, eg Middlesbrough, Preston, both owned by relatively rich people but not billionaires. Would expect at some stage to 'go' for PL. Combination of good management and some further investment at the right time.

2 hours ago, StrawHillRam said:

The price for the stadium alone would have to be the variation Mel have the efl to avoid them revisiting the sale. Can’t remember what that was, but players alone amount to tens of millions.

Why would it?

The EFL have been supplied with an independent valuation of the ground which is what the ground is shown at in the accounts. 

Its up to MM what he sells the ground for, it makes no difference to the valuation at 30 June 2018.

It would be entirely plausible for him to heavily discount the ground as part of the whole package. 

24 minutes ago, Warwick Ram said:

To be honest the more I read and hear the more Mel is reminding me of Mike Ashley.

Mike took over Newcastle and was a fan with plenty of cash. It looked promising. He then realised just how much is needed to spend to be really successful.

He loses interest and stops really investing or spending money unless he really needs to.

There is a small amount of success but ultimately he wants out and looks for investment, which so far hasn’t materialised for whatever reason.

No way. What ever Mel’s faults and poor decisions, he’s nothing like MA. Mel is a good man and Ashley is a banker. 

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Why would it?

The EFL have been supplied with an independent valuation of the ground which is what the ground is shown at in the accounts. 

Its up to MM what he sells the ground for, it makes no difference to the valuation at 30 June 2018.

It would be entirely plausible for him to heavily discount the ground as part of the whole package. 

Tbh I’d rather Mel retained the stadium asset, rather than some fly by night chancers 

2 minutes ago, StrawHillRam said:

Tbh I’d rather Mel retained the stadium asset, rather than some fly by night chancers 

Agree with that. However, any sensible long term investor in Derby County would want the club and the stadium freehold. I certainly would, no deal without it.

3 minutes ago, StrawHillRam said:

If its not in the club dont see what difference it makes who owns it.

Not sure what they could do with it as there is a long term lease to the club.

Maybe the new owners will buy it and put it back in the club. 

1 minute ago, derby8 said:

Agree with that. However, any sensible long term investor in Derby County would want the club and the stadium freehold. I certainly would, no deal without it.

Ground would cost maybe £80m.

Or lease it for £1m a year.

Guess it depends how much potential they think is there for generating more income from it.

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Ground would cost maybe £80m.

Or lease it for £1m a year.

Guess it depends how much potential they think is there for generating more income from it.

So we assume the current £60m excludes the stadium. Then 60 plus 80, £140m all in. Newcastle price is £350m, PL, Sunderland nearer £40m I think, L1.  Derby County at £140m fully inclusive seems a bit too high, would want to go down from that, under £100m I would say.

16 minutes ago, derby8 said:

So we assume the current £60m excludes the stadium. Then 60 plus 80, £140m all in. Newcastle price is £350m, PL, Sunderland nearer £40m I think, L1.  Derby County at £140m fully inclusive seems a bit too high, would want to go down from that, under £100m I would say.

Are you going to do a deal Mr Gadsby ?

14 minutes ago, derby8 said:

I read that MM has spent £35m on the academy.

£80m for the ground. 

Value of the squad. 

Of course the offset is the losses that we are generating.

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I read that MM has spent £35m on the academy.

£80m for the ground. 

Value of the squad. 

Of course the offset is the losses that we are generating.

Would have to negotiate that £80m downwards, would argue maintenance backlog, etc, etc.

8 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Mel could hold onto the ground but put a clause into the sale of the club saying the owners would be able to buy PP at a certain price after a set period or upon satisfying certain criteria. 

Would seek to satisfy the criteria now and get on with it.

50 minutes ago, derby8 said:

Agree. Difficult times. My game plan would be to buy club with stadium freehold. That's a must, otherwise no deal. Then take stock for a while and consider opportunities. It's possible to run a sustainable club in the championship, eg Middlesbrough, Preston, both owned by relatively rich people but not billionaires. Would expect at some stage to 'go' for PL. Combination of good management and some further investment at the right time.

All sound proposals so agree, MM let the Cat out of the bag 1st with saying we're Skint, EFL clubs can apply for an £8million loan that will surely tide them over until i'd hope fans can get back to watching and paying, Barnsley are owned by Billionaire/s I believe but said they have to be self sustainable when they were purchased.

I'd love to know how clubs can even contemplate being self sustainable in these times, Other clubs MUST be hurting financialy, Again I can see leagues 1 and 2 either being suspended or cancelled.

There could be a slight glimmer of hope with reports of players being paid tomorrow/Monday and "A" takeover could be on the way, But not holding my breath.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

So what do you think the whole package is worth and how do you arrive at your figure?

Wouldn't pay more than £100m. Somewhere between the £60m which may not include all the assets and £100m absolute maximum. Based largely on relativities recalling other sale/for sale prices in recent years, Newcastle, Burnley, Sunderland, Wigan, etc. A cash investor will likely have lots of clubs to choose from this year so can drive a hard bargain. For all we know the £60m might include the stadium...

Archived