Abu Derby County

tinman

19 minutes ago, Olton Ram said:

This has to be one of the most random, off-topic threads for some time. A mini-debate about hanging Jamie Bulger's killers, some casual bigotry about the Middle East and and confusion about Aston Villa's financial affairs. My head's spinning.

People moan about the Politics thread, but the level of debate on there was way higher than some of the rage bubbling away under the surface here.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone getting on their high horse about who Mel should sell too. We all are entitled to an opinion but at the end of the day, do not and rightly have no right to tell Mel what or  how he should spend his money and who he should sell too.

Who ever is likely to be our next owners are likely to have a past. Abramovich  didn't make his money by being Mr nice.

Mel's only obligation is to his conscience,  not undo the his hard work and investment and feel confident new owners will take the club forward. What they do or don't do at home is their business. And let's be honest if the potential new owners knocked on my door wanting to buy my car would I refuse to sell it because their from the middle east.

Just now, ram1964 said:

Everyone getting on their high horse about who Mel should sell too. We all are entitled to an opinion but at the end of the day, do not and rightly have no right to tell Mel what or  how he should spend his money and who he should sell too.

Who ever is likely to be our next owners are likely to have a past. Abramovich  didn't make his money by being Mr nice.

Mel's only obligation is to his conscience,  not undo the his hard work and investment and feel confident new owners will take the club forward. What they do it don't do at home is their business. And let's be honest if the potential new owners knocked on my door wanting to buy my car would I refuse to sell it because their from the middle east.

Your car is a community asset, I take it?

Thousands and thousands of followers invested in its future?

I like this thread, If we ignore the possible takeover then this thread has two positives. 

1. It's given me right laugh at the some of the drivel posted

2. it's given me the kick up the 'arris I needed to further populate my ignore list. 

Happy days!

2 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

People moan about the Politics thread, but the level of debate on there was way higher than some of the rage bubbling away under the surface here.

It's okay, the Politics thread lives on, it's just been split and renamed the 'Coronavirus' and 'Marcus Rashford' threads ?

1 minute ago, ram1964 said:

Something of an understatement.

You're right, anyone rich enough to go buying footall clus probably isn't that nice, alternativly, massive financial funds that have enough to spare to go buying football clubs, probably aren't invested in ethical sunstainable vegan yoga.

23 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Money isn't worth selling out our morals. I hope this doesn't happen.

I'm majorly conflicted on this. Some new sponsorship deals would clearly propel us into FFP safety for the foreseeable which would in turn allow us to more quality to the squad and selfishly, that's attractive. The problem is, the more I consider it, the less palatable the trade off becomes. An earlier poster highlighted their treatment of the gay community and that's an argument I'm struggling to get past. Executing folk on the basis of their sexual preferences (or for any other reason for that matter), is impossible to reconcile. ?‍♀️

29 minutes ago, Dappled Ram said:

There's a lot of female expats out in Abu Dhabi and they are having a wonderful quality of life and a much better work home life balance than we've got. I was concerned when my son and his wife moved out to Abu Dhabi but they are so happy there. It is safer than the UK and the medical care is amazing.  Don't judge it till you've tried it.

Agree I’ve spent quite a lot of time in Emirate of Ras Al Khaimah due to work. Great place and wonderful people and a fantastic life for an ex pat. I don’t understand the issue with the UAE having spent time there. 

2 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I'm majorly conflicted on this. Some new sponsorship deals would clearly propel us into FFP safety for the foreseeable which would in turn allow us to more quality to the squad and selfishly, that's attractive. The problem is, the more I consider it, the less palatable the trade off becomes. An earlier poster highlighted their treatment of the gay community and that's an argument I'm struggling to get past. Executing folk on the basis of their sexual preferences (or for any other reason for that matter), is impossible to reconcile. ?‍♀️

Football is just football. I'd hate to see our club sell out to an owner with completely different values to what we have. I'd rather them stick the money and do worse in the transfer market tbh 

7 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

An earlier poster highlighted their treatment of the gay community and that's an argument I'm struggling to get past. Executing folk on the basis of their sexual preferences (or for any other reason for that matter), is impossible to reconcile. ?‍♀️

More info needed?

https://www.detainedindubai.org/homosexuality-in-the-uae

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/uae-middle-east-dubai-gay-trans-queer-lgbtq-rights-east-west-divide-language-a7856746.html

2 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Agree I’ve spent quite a lot of time in Emirate of Ras Al Khaimah due to work. Great place and wonderful people and a fantastic life for an ex pat. I don’t understand the issue with the UAE having spent time there. 

The issue is people speaking from uninformed perspectives and believing them as gospel. 

26 minutes ago, Taribo said:

You spoke too soon and missed the mention of Hitler 

I'll see your Hitler and raise you a dominic Cummings ?

Archived