Huddersfield v Derby County Tuesday 20th October

sage

4 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

I’m way more bothered that Knight’s still not in midfield, than who’s going to be upfront 

I'm not too bothered about that because Knight & Byrne appear to have a good understanding.

Shinnie & Knight, Bird & Shinnie or Bird & Knight in the middle, there are pros and cons to all of the pairings

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Think it's going to be:

Marshall

Wisdom   Davies   Clarke

Byrne    Bird    Shinnie    Buchanan

Knight

Lawrence   Jozwiak

I think it's interesting, but having three centre forwards on the bench doesn't make sense. I like Evans as a CB but he's made too many big errors so understand his exclusion. Surprised Whittaker has dropped out.

Actually playing one of the front two would have probably suited Whittaker well.

1 hour ago, Coconut said:

Except it isn't, because Byrne & Buchanan should be just as much part of the attack as defence.

You'd think they spent the entirety of the Watford game pinned in deeper than the centre backs the way you present it there, but Byrne specifically got forward very well.

I'm not sure where you've got the idea that Bird is really a defensive player either (or why you're suddenly insisting on dividing all midfielders up exclusively as attackers or defenders), he's gultiy of keeping it a bit too simple at times, but he's not had a great deal of quality around him to pass forward to recently either, like everyone else. Think of his ball to Jozwiak against Luton as an example of what he'll do if given the right runners.

But the mentality is still to get the wing backs back to defend rather than the CB moving across to cover.

They're taking throw ins at their own corner flag and then I’m seeing three centre backs lined up horizontally across the defence.

Everything is wrong with it.

Then I feel it stunts our attacking players (not that we play many). Jozwiak wants to be out wide for instance but then he gets it and just about all of his team are sat out behind him.

We basically are setting a team out to not concede. You won’t achieve anything over 46 games playing with this mentality.

Disappointed we ain’t seeing JHI with Jozwiak and Lawrence. Don’t really understand the point in JHI on the bench if Waghorn and CKR are there. Would only ever come on in extreme desperation. Lawrence isn’t a striker to me, he needs the ball to feet and space to operate. 

2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Also...surely if you are deemed fit enough for the bench, you are fit enough to play?

Maybe not the whole game, but at least a half?

Cocu's done 30 minutes twice this season. 

Lawrence and someone before him (I forget who) where he explicitly said so in his post game interview he was only good for 30min or so.

Just now, SaintRam said:

Cocu's done 30 minutes twice. 

Lawrence and someone before him (I forget who) where he explicitly said so in his post game interview he was only good for 30min or so.

So if someone gets injured he's got to sit on the bench, then? I don't get that at all. Desperate times. 

Archived