The Marriott Problem - Is there one?

cheron85

I've been pondering this one since he first arrived

Marriott obviously has a lot of talent, a poachers instinct, lovely feet and a great football mind - But we don't seem to be able to get the best out of him

Do we think this is just cos he was injured last season?

Or is there a problem with his lack of versatility?

Waggers we know isn't the natural striker Marriott is - But in the modern game the ability to adapt, play different styles and different positions seems more and more essential - Which Waggers seems to have and Marriott (it seems) doesn't

Or - Is it too early to judge this still? He was injured last season and this season has only really featured when (as a team) we've been rubbish

Any thoughts

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's better suited to playing as part of a front 2. Remember how poor Vydra was when he was used as a target man? Same with Marriott. I think he's a really good player who doesn't fit our current system.

He has to hope that either we change system, or he can thrive as part of a 'plan b' formation. Maybe he should try to become a bit more versatile. Surely he could function as a #10 or a wide attacker? Waghorn is always in the squad, even if he isn't playing as the striker.

7 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Marriott obviously has a lot of talent, a poachers instinct, lovely feet and a great football mind - But we don't seem to be able to get the best out of him

Waggers we know isn't the natural striker Marriott is - But in the modern game the ability to adapt, play different styles and different positions seems more and more essential - Which Waggers seems to have and Marriott (it seems) doesn't

Or - Is it too early to judge this still? He was injured last season and this season has only really featured when (as a team) we've been rubbish

Any thoughts

I still like him. He looked good in quite a few games and has scored some good & important goals. Didn't look out of place playing in Lampard's side. I still remember his goal away at Chelsea in the cup. The ball was pushed out to the left I think and off he went took a clean early shot straight in the corner of the net. Never doubted he was going to score. I still maintain their is a mini goal machine in there somewhere, just hope he can fit with what PC is trying to do.

5 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I think he's a really good player who doesn't fit our current system

He's useless if we're going to play everything in front of the opposition back line. If we start threading the ball through for him to run on to, he will thrive. We have done this in some games and he's shown how dangerous he can be. I remember at home against Barnsley he had chance after chance.

26 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

He's useless if we're going to play everything in front of the opposition back line. If we start threading the ball through for him to run on to, he will thrive. We have done this in some games and he's shown how dangerous he can be. I remember at home against Barnsley he had chance after chance.

This. 

Did enough in Lampard's season to show what he can be, last season not fit, this season he's been given naff all to work with. 

I think we can use him even if we're not going to change the main plan as a sub (70 minutes, Marriott comes on, the team know to try to play quick through balls to him at every opportunity and make their back line have a different problem) or tweaking things so he's working with Sibley/Lawrence/Jos/Ibe more closely. At the moment we're asking him to be a target/hold up player which he's not good at and is being given non existent or duff ammo to do it with, it's no surprise he's not looked good doing it.

It's a real shame that he's not in a team that plays to his strengths, in the right team I think he's lethal at this level.

Any of the formations: 5-3-2, 4-4-2 and even 4-3-3 allow you to play with two up front. A common saying used to be "one big one, one little one".

Under Sir Brian, we used 4-3-3 with one winger (Hinton) and a strike pair of O'Hare and Hector.

Mackay, also went 4-3-3, brought in James to replace Lee, so going with James (winger), George and Hector through the middle (while Lee was in the side, Hector was only wide-ish).

Cox played with Goddard and Saunders in a 4-4-2.

TBE played various combinations of forwards with 3/5 at the back - even with Wanchope and or Burton wide, and deep lying Baiano, so hard to compare in that case.

All the times in the Frank season that he was brilliant was when he had Mount playing around him giving him good service and creating space for him.

If we could get Sibbo or Knighty to do that he will start bangin them in.

He also needs a good run of starting games like any striker, which he hasnt really had for one reason or another this last year.

Prolific strikers don't produce a prolific return in a team which creates bugger all and seems to now have a focus NOT to concede.

Marriott will always struggle to get double digits even with proper game time.

Derby - Where prolific strikers come to finish their days LOL.

21 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

What do we do with a boy like Mariott ?

I feel like a song coming on.

How do we deal with the goalscoring king?

What do you do with a man who is bigger

Than Chris Martin, when Martin did his wardrobing thing?

- Is that the kind of song that you were thinking of? In which case it has to be over the heads of most of the forum!?

I'm not convinced by Marriott, I so wanted him to succeed when he joined and I really had him down to be the new Bobby. I know he has been injured, I know he's not had the formation to play to, I know he's played so much as a substitute but I personally think he is beyond the point of no return with Derby.

My concern is that he doesn't seem to have that striker's instinct, he seems to rush his chances and is least effective when he has time to think about it. He's a smash and grab striker and does it well (the Dirties and ManUre being two good cases) but I just wouldn't put my mortgage on him with any chance.

Looking at his record he really has only had one or two prolific years and at Luton / Peterborough he was a 1:3, sometimes 1:2 striker. But with Derby he is 1:7. I just don't see us, or him, changing anything fundamental that's going to change those stat ratios. For some the stats don't tell the whole story, but for Marriott I feel they do.

I'm not sure what that means, we obviously are going to need him between now and at least January, but to answer the OP I don't see him as part of the long term solution.

Where do we start?

As has been alluded to, he appears to play best alongside a striker who can hold the ball up and feed him with short passes. (We don't currently have this option).

Also as has been stated, he did ok in Lampards team early on, what was the difference then? Mount and Wilson maybe. Players who could feed the ball in behind the opposition. (We might have this soon with Ibe. Lawrence and Joswiak, however might take time).

My worry was when he was fit, the managers didn't seem to want to play him (potential fitness/attitude problem?) who knows.

I would love to see him firing on all cylinders in a team that suits him.

We don't have that just yet.

2 hours ago, cheron85 said:

Any thoughts

Just play the ball into Jack the way he used to score from and see how he goes. Not rocket science.

Archived