Cocu or Rowett

Curtains

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 29/09/2020 at 10:55, Curtains said:

Now coming from me this could be interesting.

Cocu is more long term and that’s why MM hired him 

Rowett wanted success short term .

I like them both and Frank really impressed me. 

Oh this seems so lame now. 

I still like Cocu to be honest but the players have just about seen him off. 

The club comes first. 

Hope MM sell soon 

2 hours ago, Curtains said:

I still like Cocu to be honest but the players have just about seen him off. 

Chicken and egg. Cocu hasn't managed to get them onside long enough, some of that must be down to his constant tinkering and his 'need to learn to play how he wants'!

16 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Chicken and egg. Cocu hasn't managed to get them onside long enough, some of that must be down to his constant tinkering and his 'need to learn to play how he wants'!

No I don’t agree.  

Injuries , Lockdowns with Rooney and young player confidence and burnout factors. 

Te Wierik settling in. 

Ibe and Duncan not fit. 

Bielik on his way back. 

Wisdom. Forsyth and Evans not played well 

Holmes awful 

Winners disallowed against Forest when 2 goal keepers would not of stopped it.

Marshall brilliant and then inexplicably errors against Barnsley. 

Anyhow Cocu is as good as gone. 

Lets hope these players prove they are good for  top 6  with a new coach. 

PS   CM not wanting to stay or the club not financing the deal re - MM not helping Cocu and to top it off failing to bring decent CF in etc

1 minute ago, Chris_Martin said:

At least we had an identity under Rowett

Rowett kept things simple, round pegs in round holes, motivated players and got an average team into the play offs, most of it without a 'target man'.  Football awful but at least he got results.

We always seemed incredibly lucky under Rowett, with how many points we stole with poor performances but an odd Vydra goal.

Cocu is the opposite. On & off the field since he came, I don't think we've had any luck at all. Ever. The man is cursed.

My heart says stick with Cocu. With the key players back (them, and new additions properly match fit), we can actually start playing the way I think he wants us to. I don't believe we've seen this properly yet.

My head says we're bottom of the table and we need to get rid now.

Hmmmmm

But then to answer the question - Cocu over Rowett IMO

2 hours ago, Van Wolfie said:

We always seemed incredibly lucky under Rowett, with how many points we stole with poor performances but an odd Vydra goal.

Cocu is the opposite. On & off the field since he came, I don't think we've had any luck at all. Ever. The man is cursed.

But we've played crap under Cocu

2 hours ago, Van Wolfie said:

My heart says stick with Cocu. With the key players back (them, and new additions properly match fit), we can actually start playing the way I think he wants us to. I don't believe we've seen this properly yet.

My head says we're bottom of the table and we need to get rid now.

Hmmmmm

But then to answer the question - Cocu over Rowett IMO

Ever since day one of the Cocu regime the football has been poor though. What makes you think it will suddenly and drastically change now? He's had almost 18 months working with the players and I don't see any improvements individually or collectively. I would go as far as to say some of the players look worse than before to be honest. All good coaches at least show signs along the way, be it the odd great performance or improving a player individually or develpoing a style of play, etc, etc. It should be a very worrying hint that we haven't actually had any of those things and that, dare i say it, Cocu is not actually that good. 

There comes a point where it stops just being 'bad luck'.  You make your own luck. If you don't shoot, you don't score Lampard used to say to our players. 

15 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

Ever since day one of the Cocu regime the football has been poor though. What makes you think it will suddenly and drastically change now? He's had almost 18 months working with the players and I don't see any improvements individually or collectively. I would go as far as to say some of the players look worse than before to be honest. All good coaches at least show signs along the way, be it the odd great performance or improving a player individually or develpoing a style of play, etc, etc. It should be a very worrying hint that we haven't actually had any of those things and that, dare i say it, Cocu is not actually that good. 

There comes a point where it stops just being 'bad luck'.  You make your own luck. If you don't shoot, you don't score Lampard used to say to our players. 

I can name more players who have improved than have gone backwards. Not going to waste my breath though.

I could talk about how Cocu inherited a very weak squad (once the loanees had gone home) and he was then under soft embargo & record signing injuries etc etc but I'd be arguing with people who see facts as just excuses and choose not to notice the flashes of exciting play we've had - admittedly not enough of them.

Fine margins and a results business. I get that. Which is why my head says get rid. My heart says if we'd have won the last 2 home games, we'd all probably be feeling very differently. But we didn't. And it hurts.

3 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

I can name more players who have improved than have gone backwards. Not going to waste my breath though.

I could talk about how Cocu inherited a very weak squad (once the loanees had gone home) and he was then under soft embargo & record signing injuries etc etc but I'd be arguing with people who see facts as just excuses and choose not to notice the flashes of exciting play we've had - admittedly not enough of them.

Fine margins and a results business. I get that. Which is why my head says get rid. My heart says if we'd have won the last 2 home games, we'd all probably be feeling very differently. But we didn't. And it hurts.

I think people are being overly harsh on the performances under Cocu. Probably because of where we sit in the table currently. But he did a good job last season, his first season in England couldn't have been more of rollercoaster but he still had us in with a shout of the play offs. Sure this season has been poor so far but there has been one massive fudge which I don't think Cocu can take the blame for and that is a lack of striker. He wanted Martin and another, we ended up with CKR. And people are surprised we lack goals. 

Cocu hasn't filled the squad with over the hill players. A lot of those senior players are out of contract in the summer and we would be well placed to have a younger more exciting team. Rowett, well. He sold out best player, filled the squad with has beens and made more work for those that follow.

Imagine if this summer Cocu said Knight wasn't his type of player and sold him. It would be a farce. Cocu started with the weakest squad and the smallest budget. 

Rowett was effective. I enjoyed some of the matches. But I couldn't go through it again. And I wouldn't believe a word he says.

Archived