Cocu or Rowett

Curtains

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

Maybe not but that's irrelevant. Regardless of outside factors, Rowett had a style of play that was effective. The players knew what they were doing and weren't lackluster week in week out.

We were pretty dreadful under rowett until he signed Joe ledley and played 2 screening midfield players (as we are doing now). We scraped a 1-1 draw at Ipswich on ledleys debut.

The "effective" football in practice lasted about a third of the season. The rest of it was naff.

7 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

Cocu or Rowett.

Its like choosing between a kick in the balls or a kick in the balls. 

Both options the same & painful 

Rowett above Cocu for me !!

Before CV I was saying it's the most disappointed I've been watching football at Pride Park it's dire to watch. 

One wants his team to play attractive yet controlled football but relies on having 5-6 players in the team capable of that. One wants his team to stick 8 men behind the ball, spend 60% of the game withiout the ball, hit it down the wings and rely on having 1 player capable of a shots to goal ratio higher than any other player you'll ever see at Championship level.

One has a method which he hopes will be able to become 'the norm' for the club in future years, inclusive of youth and a sustainable future for the club. One only cares about the here and now, the advancement of his own career, signing experienced pros on long contracts,  and will jump ship at any opportunity he thinks will enhance his reputation.

One got results in a very basic, rigid structure with no prospect of really ever improving beyond that point, playing the underdog for eternity. the underdog. One is failing to get results, but attempting to put in an adaptable style of play with a ceiling far above the other. But yes, failing, currently.

6 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

Cocu had to deal with our record signing sustaining a long term injury early in the season. If the same had happened with Rowett, do you think we would still have got top 6? That's my entire point

Bielik wasn't exactly pulling up any trees before his injury. I don't think his injury, as bad as it was, had that big of an impact on our final league position.

6 minutes ago, Coconut said:

One wants his team to play attractive yet controlled football but relies on having 5-6 players in the team capable of that. One wants his team to stick 8 men behind the ball, spend 60% of the game withiout the ball, hit it down the wings and rely on having 1 player capable of a shots to goal ratio higher than any other player you'll ever see at Championship level.

One has a method which he hopes will be able to become 'the norm' for the club in future years, inclusive of youth and a sustainable future for the club. One only cares about the here and now, the advancement of his own career, signing experienced pros on long contracts,  and will jump ship at any opportunity he thinks will enhance his reputation.

One got results in a very basic, rigid structure with no prospect of really ever improving beyond that point, playing the underdog for eternity. the underdog. One is failing to get results, but attempting to put in an adaptable style of play with a ceiling far above the other. But yes, failing, currently.

Nailed it ???

4 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

After all they both advocate a similar style of football,rather than the Polar opposites of rowett and Cocu.

Nothing alike. Mac was penetrative attack and quick development of the ball. Tempo was his keyword. 

Cocu is possession, patience, counter-attack, possibly playing for 1-0. Ball to feet. Boring. 

4 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Nothing alike. Mac was penetrative attack and quick development of the ball. Tempo was his keyword. 

Cocu is possession, patience, counter-attack, possibly playing for 1-0. Ball to feet. Boring. 

Not sure Mac losing to Reading 3-0 (missing playoffs when we only needed a draw at home )was his finest hour 

5 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I'd agree with you...two ways to play the Dutch way,one if which I personally prefer.

Paul Simpson is credited with a lot of the more carefree and attacking aspects of McClaren's Derby though.

Left to his own devices and making his subs without the input of Simpson... well it's hard to judge really. He's not exactly been a massive hit elsewhere in England since 'induction' into the dutch way with Twente.

Their ideals aren't that far apart, nowhere near as much as had been purported on here

Give me Rowett over Lampard any day of the week. 

We were better under Rowett, also vitally, he didn’t leave us in the lurch as much as Lamps.

He didn’t leave us with glaring holes in the squad for starters.

Lamps also spent a fair whack here, he also had a season at Chelsea with a £300 million pound squad and achieved the bare minimum you’d expect. 

Now his spent another chunk of cash, feels like Redknapp Mark II to me 

20 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Well he didn’t in 2014/2015 .

Cocu wasn’t that far off making them last season 

I think your Cocu crusade,whilst admirable in its loyalty is somewhat clouding your vision here....Cocu was nowhere near making the playoffs,in fact that period was the beginning of this terrible run of form.

As I said on another post,we need to be objective about Cocus tenure,praise him for what he does well but equally recognise where it's going wrong.

5 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I think your Cocu crusade,whilst admirable in its loyalty is somewhat clouding your vision here....Cocu was nowhere near making the playoffs,in fact that period was the beginning of this terrible run of form.

As I said on another post,we need to be objective about Cocus tenure,praise him for what he does well but equally recognise where it's going wrong.

For me when he gets this CF and Lawrence , Waghorn ,and Beilik and Holmes are fit and then Ibe gets fit along with Jow getting used to the Championship I think we will be flying. 

Duncan could be a bonus also 

3 minutes ago, Curtains said:

For me when he gets this CF and Lawrence , Waghorn ,and Beilik and Holmes are fit and then Ibe gets fit along with Jow getting used to the Championship I think we will be flying. 

I think I will wait and see if that's the case....hopefully we will be but in not predicting anything as I havent really got anything to base that belief on yet.

Certainly there will be no excuses if our performance doesn't dramatically improve with the full hand of players he should have by then.

If we are are doing well then everyone will be happy.

Archived