200 Million pounds loss for EFL

Curtains

Sad times.

However it's hard to see any other outcome than the overall impoverishment of the sport and clubs going bust.

I also can't see the prem shedding any tears. In fact I can only see prem clubs, especially top ones viewing it as an opportunity to gain fans of teams who've gone bust.

The view of top clubs may well be "this means we are more likely to be able to field "B" teams in lower divisions which is good for us"

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Olton Ram said:

As ever the Premier League will probably shrug it off too, in the long term. Gate receipts are only a minor part of Premier League income; TV money and sponsorship are far more important. No gate money for lower league clubs is catastrophic, but not so much for Premier League clubs. Whether those at the top table will agree for more money to filter downwards to those who need it remains to be seen, but on past experience I'm not hopeful.

It is very much in the interests of the EPL (particularly the bottom half) to further inflict a disproportionate pain to those that could be rivals in a lower league

We as a club are close to losing an additional £6 million in hospitality alone this year, this is on top of any regular losses we have from wages and the norm. This does not include the losses in match day tickets and the refunds for season ticket holders already agreed.

That's is a massive amount of losses, that we have no way of clawing back in the foreseeable. I dread to think what the final amount will be when everything is added up, but that £30 million loan may not have much change left in it after this year.

If this is the bleak picture for us with an owner who still has a bit of money, I dread to think how many clubs we will lose.

1 hour ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Here's a question - If Forest went bust how would you feel? You could laugh about it but we'd loose our rivals and alot of people would be out of a job. 

I would feel sad for a lot of my friends and also the state of football and life in the UK when professional football clubs higher up the tree are going bust. Also, when you start losing clubs like Forest, how long before Derby go bust ? We may end up with a small number of professional clubs and a lot becoming amateur or not existing anymore without gate receipts. Even reduced capacity will not help many clubs. 

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

How much future tax revenues will be lost from the £1m a year wages?

This is a good point tbf, I didn't think there was any chance of Gov help but in 2016/17 the premier league alone generated £3.3bn in tax revenue and contributed £7.6bn to the economy. Thats not a bad way to sell a bailout, although it still seems unlikely 

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Sad times.

However it's hard to see any other outcome than the overall impoverishment of the sport and clubs going bust.

I also can't see the prem shedding any tears. In fact I can only see prem clubs, especially top ones viewing it as an opportunity to gain fans of teams who've gone bust.

The view of top clubs may well be "this means we are more likely to be able to field "B" teams in lower divisions which is good for us"

The top teams in the Prem will probably be rubbing their hands in glee at the thought of the decimation of the EFL. Gets them ever closer to their dream of a closed league where they can no longer be challenged.

13 hours ago, sage said:

If every player in the top 2 divisions, gave up 10% of what they earn over £10k a week to the bottom 2 divisions, it would get them through this season. That obviously won't happen but if they aren't prepared do do that then why should the taxpayer help?

They are also tax payers

To my mind the easiest solution is for the government to offer secured loans to all clubs below the Premier League, repayable with a nominal interest rate over ten years.  Repayments delayed until fans are allowed back in the ground.

Loans up to 75% of turnover in the Championship.  90% in the five levels below that.

Government support not a government handout should be the mantra.

Various calls for the government to give football some money, "write it a cheque". A reminder the government doesn't actually have any money of its own. It's ours that we hand over for them to allocate to maintain the country.

The question is if we all should work harder and/or pay more in tax to be able to bail out football clubs?

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Various calls for the government to give football some money, "write it a cheque". A reminder the government doesn't actually have any money of its own. It's ours that we hand over for them to allocate to maintain the country.

The question is if we all should work harder and/or pay more in tax to be able to bail out football clubs?

That's not quite true though is it.  The government can borrow from the financial markets.  In the scenario I suggested the risk to the tax payer is limited to anyone who defaults on payments, and with the loans being secured this would be minimised.

The greater risk to the taxpayer is the thousands of people who work directly and indirectly for clubs being made redundant.  The resultant loss of tax revenues would have to be made up elsewhere.  And that would mean greater tax bills for those of us fortunate still to be in work.

20 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

To my mind the easiest solution is for the government to offer secured loans to all clubs below the Premier League, repayable with a nominal interest rate over ten years.  Repayments delayed until fans are allowed back in the ground.

Loans up to 75% of turnover in the Championship.  90% in the five levels below that.

Government support not a government handout should be the mantra.

looking at some of the dodgy football directors out there it wont stop clubs going bust it'll just get funneled somewhere else

9 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Boris reckons the government have already spent £160 billion helping businesses over the last 6 months - They won't have the money to do that again

The Premier League clubs have to take some responsibility and pitch in - This transfer window they have still been spending as much on a single player as would be needed to run pretty much every club in league 2 for a year

If you took half of the PL TV payment for next season you could guarantee the financial safety or all lower league and conference teams and probably most of the semi-pros - And PL clubs next season should still be able to easily pay their wages with half money - They would just have to make less expensive signings for a single year

I would put a big, hefty bet on that they won't do that though

Thinking about my idea further, Boris could be really smart and force the EFL to act as guarantor for the Championship, L1 and L2 clubs.  Imagine that.  The EFL being penalised fiscally if one of their members went bust.  Crikey that would change their focus into supporting their members instead of petty gesturing and fingerpointing.

Archived