200 Million pounds loss for EFL

Curtains

7 hours ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

And who the hell watches us other then our fans and fans of the opposition team?

From my experience, loads of people. I've known loads of people who will watch whatever match is on TV.

I'm odd in that I'm not in the slightest bit interested in football if it's not Derby. I don't watch Champions League, Premier League, or even our competition in the Championship. But I know family and friends will switch on Sky to whatever they're televising. I see plenty of people here go into deep discussion about the merits of teams and players I've no interest in - they must be getting their intel from somewhere (admittedly, some of our posters it's probably from Fifa or Champ Manager).

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Won’t take it off topic as we have a thread for that, but we can go on planes, in crowded pubs, in restaurants, schools, universities, Cinemas, cafes, shopping centres, buses, trains, work places etc etc etc.......You and everyone who has liked your post has already taken that risk, why not football stadia, outside in the fresh air with precautions? So yes it’s my risk to take, as are all the above which you/we all are taking. 

I agree with some, but not all, of this. But this is not the thread for a long discussion. 

2 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

From my experience, loads of people. I've known loads of people who will watch whatever match is on TV.

I'm odd in that I'm not in the slightest bit interested in football if it's not Derby. I don't watch Champions League, Premier League, or even our competition in the Championship. But I know family and friends will switch on Sky to whatever they're televising. I see plenty of people here go into deep discussion about the merits of teams and players I've no interest in - they must be getting their intel from somewhere (admittedly, some of our posters it's probably from Fifa or Champ Manager).

Yes, we watch a fair number of Championship and Premier league games on Sky. I always watch teams in and around us in the table and Forest games for a laugh!

I like the cup competitions that pitch teams from different leagues against each other especially. 

Oh and play offs, we always watch those.

2 hours ago, Mark of Ayrshire said:

Maybe I do, but still a billion quid a year is never going to happen

The PL domestic deal is worth around £6.50 per viewer.

Typical Championship game on Sky (with poor advertising) averages about 350,000 viewers.

With those figures, each Championship game on Sky should be worth £2.275m (currently a Championship side receives about £0.5m after being on TV 15 times, plus a basic award of £2m for the entire season)

To reach £1b, it would require 440 games to be shown on TV with the same viewing figures as Sky currently get. This is equivalent to each team being shown 18/19 times during the season. The bigger teams in the league are already at this figure.

13 hours ago, GenBr said:

It wouldn't be 10,000 from each club though. Bristol, Boro, Brentford, Forest, Derby, Wednesday, Norwich, Sunderland, Ipswich, Hull, Cardiff, Bolton and Barnsley all averaged between 250,000 and 400,000 viewers per televised game in 2017 and the figure will only be higher now. Other big clubs have since come down who would also have big followings. You also have to have sky, live in the UK or buy an extortionate pass to watch any of that. To me 700,000 seems a rather conservative number.

would the £15 pm just cover a single club of your choice?  Would it include away games?  I think if it gave full coverage it would work but just on your nominated club...not so sure.  Surprised by your figures though I didn't know they were published, source if you have it please.  It is such a wide average, is it the each club separately achieved between 250/400k viewers per game?  Really shocked by that

17 minutes ago, Spanish said:

would the £15 pm just cover a single club of your choice?  Would it include away games?  I think if it gave full coverage it would work but just on your nominated club...not so sure.  Surprised by your figures though I didn't know they were published, source if you have it please.  It is such a wide average, is it the each club separately achieved between 250/400k viewers per game?  Really shocked by that

Top 10 Championship teams in 19/20 listed here, averaging 310,000 viewers per game.
Top 20 Championship teams in 17/18 listed here, averaging 277,000 viewers per game.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to which teams rank where, as bigger teams can often be dragged down by being on TV against the smallest teams, and the smallest teams dragged up by the bigger ones. Wigan had one of the highest averages one season due to who they were playing.

12 hours ago, David said:

Tottenham are understood to be one of a very small number of Premier League clubs who qualify for the CCFF initiative and have moved to secure their finances after projecting losses that could exceed £200m over the next year.

Bit sickening that they're doing that and then spending millions on players

On another note

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54269398

Swindon Town boss Richie Wellens believes, in the light of the government's decision, that Premier League clubs should provide funding to support clubs in the third and fourth tiers.

"It's like playing a pre-season friendly every week. It's so difficult," he told BBC Radio Wiltshire.

"It was a devastating blow for football yesterday that supporters have not been allowed in, especially when you see people in pubs and supermarkets and they're in an enclosed environment and they're still walking past each other.

"I don't agree with giving us [EFL clubs] a loan that we pay back interest free. That would help, but I just think if they were to take a couple of million pounds from each of the Premier League clubs, it would create £40m to disperse between League One and Two clubs and that would help massively."

Essentially what I think should happen - Chelsea could have single handedly funded this with a single player buy this season - I think every PL club can afford a couple of million though to help out the lower leagues - And it would be an incredible act of generosity from the Premier League itself if they simply took it out of the TV revenue for next year before any individual team was given it

1 minute ago, cheron85 said:

Bit sickening that they're doing that and then spending millions on players

On another note

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54269398

Swindon Town boss Richie Wellens believes, in the light of the government's decision, that Premier League clubs should provide funding to support clubs in the third and fourth tiers.

"It's like playing a pre-season friendly every week. It's so difficult," he told BBC Radio Wiltshire.

"It was a devastating blow for football yesterday that supporters have not been allowed in, especially when you see people in pubs and supermarkets and they're in an enclosed environment and they're still walking past each other.

"I don't agree with giving us [EFL clubs] a loan that we pay back interest free. That would help, but I just think if they were to take a couple of million pounds from each of the Premier League clubs, it would create £40m to disperse between League One and Two clubs and that would help massively."

Essentially what I think should happen - Chelsea could have single handedly funded this with a single player buy this season - I think every PL club can afford a couple of million though to help out the lower leagues - And it would be an incredible act of generosity from the Premier League itself if they simply took it out of the TV revenue for next year before any individual team was given it

The Prem need to think long term. If the lower leagues vanish where are the players of the future going to come from ? 
The pyramid needs to survive to keep the junior game going otherwise there will be fewer kids for the academies 

12 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Top 10 Championship teams in 19/20 listed here, averaging 310,000 viewers per game.
Top 20 Championship teams in 17/18 listed here, averaging 277,000 viewers per game.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to which teams rank where, as bigger teams can often be dragged down by being on TV against the smallest teams, and the smallest teams dragged up by the bigger ones. Wigan had one of the highest averages one season due to who they were playing.

I hadn't heard Derby issued figures given we are on a separate platform, I wonder whether Ramstv is included in figures or not?  I am amazed that a quarter of a million people on average watch Derby v another, a real eye opener for me.  Is there some double counting?  If 250k watch Derby v Swansea I guess both clubs get 250k.

Even if Premier League clubs won't give money directly to EFL clubs, the least they could do is not charge fees for their young players going out on loan, especially in Leagues 1 and 2. Charging a loan fee for a club in a lower division to improve one of your players for you in the current dire financial situation is pretty poor behaviour if you're a Premier League club. The money involved probably doesn't mean that much to the Prem club in any case, but it could be vital further down the pyramid.

2 hours ago, Spanish said:

I hadn't heard Derby issued figures given we are on a separate platform, I wonder whether Ramstv is included in figures or not?  I am amazed that a quarter of a million people on average watch Derby v another, a real eye opener for me.  Is there some double counting?  If 250k watch Derby v Swansea I guess both clubs get 250k.

Those are viewing figures for Sky

21 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I will change my profile picture to me wearing a Leeds shirt if they go down, and you can change yours to you wearing a Leeds shirt if they stay up.  Actually, now I think about it, I will lose out either way. 

Hope all is well in Warrington @Red_Dawn

He'll probably draw a pair of binoculars on a plain white t-shirt.

The weasel.

Archived