Expectations for 2020/21

Andicis

Where do you think Derby will finish?  

198 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm bored of talking about FFP and club finances, let's talk football. On the back of a highly respectable 10th place finish in Cocu's first season, what do we hope/expect for the upcoming season? Personally I'd expect top 6 minimum, and based on the second half of the season form I think it's certainly attainable. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not voting because my choice isn’t there really. I’d just want us to be in with a legit shot of play offs. If we make it then fantastic, but I don’t want to be off the pace with a month of the season to go. As far as exactly what I think will happen, need to see what happens with recruitment over the next few weeks. 

I think ultimately we'll finish top 6 but I suspect we'll be around 6th rather than pushing the top 2. Don't think that is an unrealistic aim & we should be looking to improve from 10th but important fans dont get impatient if we're not top 6 by November. 

Defensively, I'm optimistic we'll improve significantly from last year. A good keeper in, Clarke back to add continuity & a leader alongside him in Te Wierik should cut out a lot of the sloppiness that cost us points last year. It should also help our young fullbacks having that solid foundation alongside them.

Our options going forward are still in flux but we do still have a number of quality options...Lawrence & Sibley are exciting, Marriott & Waghorn are capable of scoring plenty. There is a lack of depth there though & we will need at least a couple of quality additions to get results when injuries & suspensions start to bite. Also unclear at this point to what degree there will be youth team step ups or whether Rooney is redeployed further up the park.

Overall, the club are one year into Project Cocu & their understanding of his requirements should now be much better. They also had 3-4 months of teams looking to press us very high & we should be both used to it & better at playing around that now. Also heartening to hear Van Weerden talk about improving fitness levels...a combination of tactical mastery & much more movement/dynamism will make us very competitive. 

5 minutes ago, jcidaho said:

I suspect our wanting to play everything through Rooney will make us stagnate this season, plus over-reliance on youth to make things happen, so 10th for me.

I think it's an urban myth that we have an over-reliance on Rooney. I'll probably get shot down by one of our resident statisticians but I've certainly watched games where Bird has by-passed him when it would have been easier to pass to him. I haven't any real evidence to prove that the rest of the team have the same mindset as Bird but in my eyes it proves we have a real gem in Birdy that we shouldn't cash in on him unless it is silly money being offered.  

I hope for top 6. With the addition of a new RW and striker, which we seem to be trying to get during this transfer window, I think that would be an achievable target. Might not quite make it this season, but we should certainly be up there challenging if we get some attacking reinforcements in. No chance with the squad as it stands mind, nowhere near enough quality in that frontline. 

Minimum expectation though should be top half for me. We shouldn’t be going backwards from last season. If we do, questions need to be asked of the coaching team.

The way I see it is that we finished 10th last season with, let's be honest, a really poor first half of the season. Rooney's arrival gave us a big boost in addition to the youngsters breaking through and we finally saw a cocu team starting to form. This year, with a full season of Rooney, the youngsters continuing to progress and the whole team more accustomed to cocu's style, I don't see us doing worse than we did last season. Whilst we have lost players, we have made additions and I feel the quality of the team is mostly similar. *Chris Martin fans incoming* In short I would be surprised if we did worse than last season. Therefore, I expect us to challenge for the playoffs. If we sign a couple of wide players, I would feel confident about us finishing in the top 6.

It’s really hard to say because on paper this looks to be an incredibly even year. Of the relegated sides I suspect Watford will do the best, Swansea have also added well and suspect they’ll do well.

I’d like to think if we could add Jozwiak and possibly another winger and striker for depth, then top six should definitely be within reach - probably the lower end though.

8 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Swansea have also added well and suspect they’ll do well.

Swansea have definitely added well, Lowe was a good signing but they also lost their best player in Brewster, so I suspect they'll be about the same.

Jack Marriott 30 goals and a top 2 finish. Big improvements already from last season.

1.We’ve signed a very good keeper at Championship level. 

2. Player of the season back and will be even better, unlike losing Mount, Wilson and Tomori the previous year.

3. Marriott should show his true ability and will be a big upgrade on an immobile Chris Martin ( controversial for some )

4. Bielik our record signing? Should make a big impact.

5. Cocu knows the league and what’s required.

5. Sibley will be outstanding.

6. Bird will be outstanding.

7. Mel is taking us up.

9 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

We're not the best in the league, but we're in the top 1

Honestly what true fan doesn’t naively think their team can’t finish top? Yes there’s multiple reasons but even at 28 I kid myself into thinking we are going to win the league every year! 

Archived