Expectations for 2020/21

Andicis

Where do you think Derby will finish?  

198 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My expectations are pretty low for 20/21. I’m not excited by the prospect of empty stadia, sideways-passing and “low pulse” football Cocu style. I’m sure we’ll manage to bore some sides to a defeat but I can’t see where the goals are coming from. Maybe Marriott will be transformed by his mended groin but I’m just not convinced by Phillip’s low-risk, “schtay in the game” mentality. Sorry. Another 10th place finish. 

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

My biggest fear is slow safe defensive football, the lack of a consistent vision, and the best of the academy products sat on the bench. It took a long time for cocu to pick knight AND Sibley. I’m not sure that he is yet ready to commit to them both or add another academy player into that midfield.

I think Cocu got the integration of Bird, Knight & Sibley absolutely spot on last year and on that basis, I'd trust him to do the same with our other Academy graduates.

Reality is Bird & Sibley werent ready last Aug/Sep/Oct. Bird struggled at Scunthorpe and Sibley wasn't influential in Cup matches at Northampton or Forest. Also dont think it would have helped them coming into the side in Nov/Dec when we were really struggling. Cocu knew Rooney's presence would help them and the team overall & so coincided both Bird's & Sibley's first team run with him arriving (save for Charlton at home). The Cup games were also seen as a valuable experience for them to see what standard was required, then drop out of the team to work at it. Short term pain for long term gain.

Knight was slightly different as he was always around the matchday squad (even in 18/19 playoffs). Cocu gave him plenty of gametime in the autumn as he was correctly deemed to be 'ahead' of Bird & Sibley but took him back out of the side in March when his form waned...as all young players experience.

In short, the reason Bird & Sibley made very impressive entrances to the team was because of how their gametime & development had been managed. You can tell from listening to Cocu & the coaching staff that youth integration is something they actively relish.

My hopes/expectations are that we could well click this season and we’ll be pushing for the top places.

I just have a feeling. (Although it could be heartburn!)

One thing is that I can guarantee is not all the clubs expected to be pushing for promotion will be and there’ll be a dark horse or two that were tipped for a relegation struggle, who’ll do very well.

It happens every year and it’s the beauty of this division.

31 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I think Cocu got the integration of Bird, Knight & Sibley absolutely spot on last year and on that basis, I'd trust him to do the same with our other Academy graduates.

I think he did well in the end, but I also remember posting that what I wanted for Xmas was knight AND Sibley.

it took until March to get it, and then we really took off.

Sibley was becoming visibly frustrated waiting for his chance, but boy did he take it.
Midfield is crowded and it is tough to leave out senior players for knight and Sibley, but these are two great players in the making.

remember brian clough putting Roy Keane straight into the team, no messing? 

Numero uno for a reason. 

Unless we get a couple of good attacking fast players then can see another mid table season, we may be stronger at the back but the way Cocu wants us to play we really need a couple of decent players that’ll help us move it faster

Similar to others, I think we are a mid table team as it stands. Defence should be much improved, with experience in goal and central positions. Full backs can step up and become key players too (Bogle and Lowe). Midfield is a position we are strong in, with Bird and Rooney showing a good understanding, and Shinnie and Bielik more than good enough in this league. 

However, it is going forward that we look weak. There were games when we scored 3 goals after the restart, brilliant. But we are inconsistent. We struggle to create chances, as shown at times last season and in 2 of the 3 preseason games so far. We need creativity going forward, whether thats through a playmaker or more pace in the side. We also need someone to become our finisher up top. Marriott can do that role but needs to get fit and stay fit. Waghorn is fine at this level, just needs to gain some confidence in front of goal.

If we can add some creativity and attacking talent, we can push for top 6. At the moment, we are 10-12th.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

I think he did well in the end, but I also remember posting that what I wanted for Xmas was knight AND Sibley.

it took until March to get it, and then we really took off.

Sibley was becoming visibly frustrated waiting for his chance, but boy did he take it.
Midfield is crowded and it is tough to leave out senior players for knight and Sibley, but these are two great players in the making.

remember brian clough putting Roy Keane straight into the team, no messing? 

Numero uno for a reason. 

He did but I wouldn't necessarily hold Cloughie up as a best standard for youth development. He did favour 'sink or swim' (rather than careful integration) and he also punched Keane in the face the year after his debut!

I do agree with your assessment of Knight & Sibley. Would like to see Knight starting in his best position too (CM not RW or LW)

49 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

He did but I wouldn't necessarily hold Cloughie up as a best standard for youth development. He did favour 'sink or swim' (rather than careful integration) and he also punched Keane in the face the year after his debut!

I do agree with your assessment of Knight & Sibley. Would like to see Knight starting in his best position too (CM not RW or LW)

I expect us to finish 6th to 10th depending on signings and injuries, but here's hoping for a good start and an even better finish. COYR

Archived