Expectations for 2020/21

Andicis

Where do you think Derby will finish?  

198 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

There has been plenty of time for rumours and suggestions, keeping in mind our financial state who do you fancy then?

Not the first clue roy , but I am back to anybody but Martin ,the obsession on here over him needs curing 

Data analysis says if score 10% more goals and concede 10% fewer, then we will get 20% better results - 

10th = 50% aka halfway

20% improvement 8th 

But 20 more points to the total would get Rams into the playoffs. Position 3 to 6th. 

An extra "X" factor would push from playoffs to automatics.

If you win 3 extra games that gives 9 extra points over the season. 

So that "X" factor could come from our u23 squad links.  The lads growing up through the u23 squad.  

So if we follow this logic where will a 20% better start get us - in the top 6 from the word go ?  

Possibly.

Ever the optimist if we can improve little by little playoffs will be easy.

75% of voters in this poll say yes to playoffs or more.

25% say about the same as last year. 

That's 3 to 1  in favour of slight improvement. But will the improvement be enough. Brentford did well enough to be 3rd last year but beat us in a preseason game - if they are a 2nd-4th place team ....the Rams are a 5 th to 7th place team (ie playoffs again at best ?)

Leeds were playoff material two seasons ago but automatic winners last season.  We were nearly playoff material last year - that would be improved to nearly automatic Hope'fulls this year (aka solid playoff contenders).

10 more points over the whole season pushes  a team up by 2-3 places.  Then going from a basic place of 10th to 7th is possible. Going from 6th to 3rd is possible.

Probably automatics is just beyond this team we currently have ?  We can expect to be within the 3-7th bracket.  

Progression is

2020/21 playoffs

21/22 automatics

Leeds did it in two seasons

Can Derby expect to do it in two?

Is Cocu better than Bielsa?

Do the rams have the budget??

Answers on a postcard please? 

• 4 weeks later...

Thought 11th before the start of the season. Absolutely no idea what I expect now. 

A nightmare season and relegation scrap?

Maybe. Or a real slow burner where we get a full squad available, the new signings prove to be quality, the young guns improve further and we are the in-form side after xmas and finish top six.

Not a scooby. Makes it interesting I suppose.

2 hours ago, Rampant said:

A nightmare season and relegation scrap?

If that's the case then cocu can go. I know we don't have a given right to be fighting at the top of the table every reason but that would just be unacceptable. We should be doing a lot better with this team.

16 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

If that's the case then cocu can go. I know we don't have a given right to be fighting at the top of the table every reason but that would just be unacceptable. We should be doing a lot better with this team.

Agreed. I think we will end up all right though. I think we badly need some better news on injury front to provide competition for places though. Oh and a striker. We seem to be stuck with under-performers with few options. 
we also need the defence to up their game. 

There might come a moment when we should rest ALL the youngsters, as over-exposing them in a struggling side is putting too much pressure on them.

when everyone is fit, we could revert to senior pros and get them back in the groove.
the fact we have a lot of youngsters seems to be becoming an excuse for senior pros to not perform.

marshall

byrne.    Wisdom.    Clarke.     Fozzy

Shinnie   Bielik/Rooney

ibe.             Holmes.    Lawrence.   

Waghorn

Going with my head over heart I think this will be a very disappointing season with a finishing position of around 15th/16th. I cannot see us picking up more than a couple of points in October and I can’t imagine that we will trouble the top 6 at any stage. I want to see the amount of youngsters in the matchday team reduced as the senior pros return to full fitness to take the unrelenting pressure off them and for them to be used sparingly to build their confidence. I would like the manager to understand that it’s ok to have a plan B and stop trying to force an elite level playing philosophy on our bog standard championship players and to instill some fighting spirit into the squad. If these things happen then who knows, we might start making progress up the table.

Just makes me more worried re EFL appeal and possible sanctions. Re youngsters there was a really interesting discussion on 5 live between 12 and 12.30 Lunchtime on friday about youngsters in sport with early success and the potential consequences of the expectation and how to manage. If its still on iplayer or anything worth a listen as made me think of the pressure on ours at the mo

Archived