Jacob Murphy

Heisenberg

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Betty Swollocks said:

Bruce was VERY close to becoming our Player Manager with Mark Hughes in the Mid 90`s

the deal fell through at the last minute for some reason and we ended up hiring Jim Smith.

Maybe this is why we never get any favours from him??

But like the Murphys he's not bitter 

14 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Fraser signs.

Don't think it changes anything though, as far as I recall, Murphy is mostly used on the right, Fraser mostly on the left.

Although saint maximin is their other winger and also their Best player. So can will be obvious to Murphy that he isn’t going to get much game time at the Toon. Hopefully this will go in our favour ?

45 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Is this the better Murphy or is this the  not as good brother 

I'm not sure there is much in it. This one cost Newcastle £10-12m depending on the source, the other cost Cardiff £11m. I think the winner is Norwich who got £20m+ in the bank.

3 hours ago, samtheram83 said:

I remember this! I was well excited about getting Hughes in at the time, think he went to chelsea for £2m? Not so much Bruce. Funny how things turn out as I remember thinking “who the hell is jim Smith??” And my dad saying it was a shrewd move and would pay off. He wasn’t wrong!

I think the majority of Derby supporters felt the same initial despondency at such a poor appointment as you had.

Fans eh - who'd have them.

10 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

I think the majority of Derby supporters felt the same initial despondency at such a poor appointment as you had.

Fans eh - who'd have them.

yep I was one of them ...but don't remember us being in for Bruce and Hughes but was totally underwhelmed with TBE.................?

Yep. we were very close to getting Bruce and Hughes (As a player manager) but the deal fell through.

We also went for Barry Fry after this happened but he just used our interest to get a mega deal at Birmingham so we ended up getting Jim Smith who was actually Chairman of the LMA at the time.

I remember being very underwhelmed. How wrong I was!!!!

4 minutes ago, Betty Swollocks said:

Yep. we were very close to getting Bruce and Hughes (As a player manager) but the deal fell through.

We also went for Barry Fry after this happened but he just used our interest to get a mega deal at Birmingham so we ended up getting Jim Smith who was actually Chairman of the LMA at the time.

I had lived in Portsmouth when Jim was Manager there so i knew he was excellent , Lionel though was on the verge of appointing Brian Horton until i think Stuart Webb ( might be wrong on that) persuaded him otherwise  . Horton would have been a disaster in my humble opinion.

22 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

I had lived in Portsmouth when Jim was Manager there so i knew he was excellent , Lionel though was on the verge of appointing Brian Horton until i think Stuart Webb ( might be wrong on that) persuaded him otherwise  . Horton would have been a disaster in my humble opinion.

Yes. I`d forgotton about Horton, we went for him after we realised Fry was playing us.

He would have been a disaster!! And Fry!

4 hours ago, Betty Swollocks said:

Jesus.....bullet dodged. If ever there was an epitome of a slightly dodgy operator who just seems to duck and dive  then its Barry fry. 

On 06/09/2020 at 22:00, SamUltraRam said:

Bruce has never liked us since Dean Saunders made a complete mug of him at Old Trafford in 1989

Liked us a lot when he was at Hull City. Was desperate for the job after Paul Clement went. And you can take that to the bank!

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Jesus.....bullet dodged. If ever there was an epitome of a slightly dodgy operator who just seems to duck and dive  then its Barry fry. 

I just remember Barry Fry on the radio once, when they’d drawn Arsenal in the cup

”So Barry what are your tactics going to be for your home tie against this magnificent Gunners side”

”Simple ... we are playing 10 at the back and going for a million quid at the replay” 

46 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Is this likely to happen?

From what I’ve read, Newcastle fans suggested that Murphy has featured heavily in pre season and will be in the Newcastle squad for the opening game of the season.

Maybe Roberts is more likely?

Completely different players and positions.

Murphy operates on the right and Roberts as a 10 and occasionally as a 9.

Archived