Test Cricket is Back

sage

20 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

What a test match. Brilliant from the young spinner in a cauldron of pressure. Chuffed to bit with that and it's game on for the series. 

Kohli to cut short his 'holiday'?

What superb captaincy from Stokes to keep faith with Hartley in the first innings when everyone thought he was daft.

Hartley looked nervous early on both when batting and bowling but once he settles he looks a prospect.

Pope was magnificent and shout out to Leach, bowling through the pain.

Edited by Anag Ram
Error

3 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

What a test match. Brilliant from the young spinner in a cauldron of pressure. Chuffed to bit with that and it's game on for the series. 

Kohli to cut short his 'holiday'?

Think I’d read or heard somewhere that it’s more than likely that he’ll miss more than a couple 

22 minutes ago, cannable said:

Think I’d read or heard somewhere that it’s more than likely that he’ll miss more than a couple 

Oh dear. I thought it was just a 'need a quick break' type deal, I didn't realise it was something serious. I'm not his biggest fan (he's filled that position himself), but I'd still want to see him play. Big loss for India if that's the case and something a ruthless team might exploit.

33 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Oh dear. I thought it was just a 'need a quick break' type deal, I didn't realise it was something serious. I'm not his biggest fan (he's filled that position himself), but I'd still want to see him play. Big loss for India if that's the case and something a ruthless team might exploit.

So much better fare watching that match develop and the thrilling ending than the bish bash of franchise cricket.

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

So much better fare watching that match develop and the thrilling ending than the bish bash of franchise cricket.

I quite like the one day internationals, but some of the other stuff seems more akin to baseball. I can see it's appeal, as those guys are launching the ball astonishing distances and it's pretty spectacular, but then you look at the Ashes series for instance and the high drama that can bring and short form cricket can't compete at all.* This series could end up being another absolute belter.

*Unless England win of course!

Just finished watching it (the beauty of a TIVO box).

One of the greatest England wins I've ever seen - up there with Edgbaston 2005. Perhaps not quite the drama of The Oval 1968 (Underwood snagging Inverarity with just 3 balls to go, after most of the last day had been washed out) or Headingley 2019 (Stokes 135*, Leach the best 1* I've ever seen) - but a tremendous win against all the odds.

54 minutes ago, Eddie said:

One of the greatest England wins I've ever seen - up there with Edgbaston 2005. Perhaps not quite the drama of The Oval 1968 (Underwood snagging Inverarity with just 3 balls to go, after most of the last day had been washed out) or Headingley 2019 (Stokes 135*, Leach the best 1* I've ever seen) - but a tremendous win against all the odds.

Botham and Willis performances to beat the Aussies in the 80’s too…

12 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Similar circumstances - so far behind after the first innings, forced to follow on, enter Both to play one of the innings of his life before Bob pulled an 8-fer out of the hat. Then in the 4th test (the low-scoring one at Edgbaston), Both's 5-0 spell.

God, what memories.

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Botham perhaps understandably grabbed all the glory, but Willis produced one of the most hostile spells of fast bowling I've ever seen. He looked like some mad, malevolent spirit we'd unleashed and once given the ball, I seriously think Brearley was too scared to take it off him.

Zero celebration of any of his 8 wickets save the last IIRC, the press and public had annoyed him by writing him off and Bob wasn't the kind of fella to forget such slights. Each one that fell, he just span on his heels and marched back to his marker with a face like thunder. Absolutely terrifying, but quite brilliant if you were English! 

10 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Botham perhaps understandably grabbed all the glory, but Willis produced one of the most hostile spells of fast bowling I've ever seen. He looked like some mad, malevolent spirit we'd unleashed and once given the ball, I seriously think Brearley was too scared to take it off him.

Zero celebration of any of his 8 wickets save the last IIRC, the press and public had annoyed him by writing him off and Bob wasn't the kind of fella to forget such slights. Each one that fell, he just span on his heels and marched back to his marker with a face like thunder. Absolutely terrifying, but quite brilliant if you were English! 

Brearley was going to give him a rest as he said this in later years, Bob gave him a stare so Brearley kept him on 👍

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

Similar circumstances - so far behind after the first innings, forced to follow on, enter Both to play one of the innings of his life before Bob pulled an 8-fer out of the hat. Then in the 4th test (the low-scoring one at Edgbaston), Both's 5-0 spell.

God, what memories.

Its a pity Botham has ended-up a silly old t***.

18 hours ago, Eddie said:

Watching Underwood do that in 68 must have been amazing. 
Stokes 135 is my favourite batting display.

Frankie taking the last over for Derbys to win still has my pulse racing. 

This win for England is right up there with the best of the best. 

4 hours ago, StockholmRam said:

Watching Underwood do that in 68 must have been amazing. 
Stokes 135 is my favourite batting display.

Frankie taking the last over for Derbys to win still has my pulse racing. 

This win for England is right up there with the best of the best. 

That 1993 Benson and Hedges Final at Lord's was a bit special.

One of my top three Cricket matches along with seeing England win a Test at the SCG (2003) and seeing England draw at Cardiff in 2009.

India look like they're in a spot of bother here:

India all-rounder Ravindra Jadeja and batter KL Rahul have been ruled out of the second Test against England, adding to the hosts' problems.

Jadeja suffered a hamstring injury and Rahul a quadriceps issue during England's 28-run win in the first Test.

India are already without star batter Virat Kohli, pace bowler Mohammed Shami and wicketkeeper Rishabh Pant.

Sarfaraz Khan, Sourabh Kumar and Washington Sundar have been added to the squad for Friday's second Test.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/68127753

• 2 weeks later...