v Forest (H) - Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

2 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

They play differently to us, simple as that. We are a better footballing side but they are more organised.

They remind me of a Billy Davis team, glad we have Cocu as a manager, because in the end it will benefit the club so much more than what the red dogs have. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's more complicated than simply being better or worse.

They've got a more settled squad, with a better balance / mix of old and young, a very set in stone routine. 

They're playing to their absolute maximum, it's the best season they've had in years, they've suffered no major bad luck on or off the field

They rely almost entirely on 2 players to stop 90% of their games finishing 0-0, but if either Lolley or Grabban had had a 2-3 month spell on the sidelines (outside of the corona break, obviously) they'd probably be down in 14th or somewhere like that.

Meanwhile we've either got very raw or very experienced players,little in-between and our most important players are those who are (at least) a couple of years past their peak and/or have a history of serious injury or health concerns. 

When we select our 'best team' to start matches they tire massively by the 60/70th minute and the options to replace them off the bench don't give us much of an option to control the remainder of the games.

Despite that, since the turn of the year we've been the form team in the league, and you'd have to think that if the squad had been in its current state (barring suspensions) at the start of the season we'd be quite a few points better off. 

...and there are still massive faults and deficiencies within our squad!

There's only 7 points between us at the minute (I fully expect this to extend to 12-13 by the seasons end) with everything going right for them and a heck of a lot going wrong for us.

They've performed better than us over the season as a whole, but as per the first line of this post, it's more complicated than simply being better or worse.

3 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

They play differently to us, simple as that. We are a better footballing side but they are more organised.

Yes I think that sums it up. The respective league position of the two teams is probably a fair reflection. 

14 hours ago, Woodley Ram said:

Forrest are not a Great side or better than us, they did however get their tactics spot on. They analysed how we played and cut off our midfield by marking Rooney and bird. They tried to cut off the full backs bombing forward and they put pressure on the centre backs when they have possession. Getting an early goal really helped their cause.  We looked a bit stunned at the start but then played our way into things . Forest play well as a team. 

if we play them in the playoffs we will beat them, Saturday was an indication of how teams will try to restrict us, we now have experience of how to deal with it 

Well surely we had the experience of it by half time?

Fozzy and Bird should have done better for Lolley's goal. Lolley pick the ball up some 35/40 yards out and comes under no pressure. At the point shown below, Fozzy should be dropping back in line with the rest of the defence to prevent any balls being played into the danger area behind him. A better player than Lolley would have played that ball through the gap between Fozzy and Knight in to Cash. At the same time, Bird should be coming out to meet Lolley.

image.thumb.png.929a39fab5a17b0bc9db86916f8e4103.png

Fozzy keeping his shape would mean Clarke isn't across and Bird is less likely to stand off Lolley.

image.thumb.png.5932f15f8dda8944ec3a19ae507c5475.png

Whole goal was pathetic. Lolley has one trick, cut inside and shoot. And Forsyth and the rest of the team let him do exactly that - we also let him do it again in the second half. Then don’t even start on the diasy cutter of a shot that Hamer didn’t move his feet for. 

2 hours ago, Srg said:

Whole goal was pathetic. Lolley has one trick, cut inside and shoot. And Forsyth and the rest of the team let him do exactly that - we also let him do it again in the second half. Then don’t even start on the diasy cutter of a shot that Hamer didn’t move his feet for. 

Whenever I watch Hamer, he always looks like the Sunday keeper drafted in at the last minute by someone's mate. 

He doesn't really mix or shout or encourage and he always looks nervous. 

If you look at the video above he's in a perfect position and you would expect only a worldy of a strike to beat him. 

It wasn't... but it did. 

2 hours ago, Srg said:

To be fair to Forsyth, you don't expect anything from that distance to go in.

5 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Yes ... but I agree with the original post ... there isn’t a coach/player in the land That doesn’t know lolley has one ability ... cut inside and hit it on his left foot 

it was poor from fozzy, it was poor from bird and it was poor from hamer 

frustratingly I’m sure in the first game and other before it fozzy has always done pretty well at shepherding him onto his weaker foot  

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

If you look at the video above he's in a perfect position and you would expect only a worldy of a strike to beat him. 

It wasn't... but it did. 

Exactly, we can talk about the defending all day but that really was a dreadful bit of goalkeeping. It was obvious where lolley was going to put the ball but hamer went down too slow and too late. Never looked like saving it.

1 minute ago, Rammy03 said:

Exactly, we can talk about the defending all day but that really was a dreadful bit of goalkeeping. It was obvious where lolley was going to put the ball ...

So stop him doing that and you don't have to rely on a 'dodgy' keeper, who saved a similar shot 2nd half. Perhaps he was slightly unsighted and there was a deflection, for the goal? Stop the shot being taken!

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

It’s literally Lolley’s whole thing though. Makes you think we did no homework on it at all. 

it was deflected right into the corner of Bird's shin. 

As Lolley is their dangerman and wanted to cut inside, As Bird was inside Forsyth, It was not unreasonable to force him into Bird. Bird should have closed him down more and shouldn't turn his back. Hamer would have been wrong footed by the deflection and needed to see where the shot was going. Maybe his footwork could have been a little better. A top keeper may have saved it but it wasn't a 'mistake'.

Like most goals it was a combination of 2 or 3 minor mistakes, some good play and luck.     

Thought they deserved to win, had the better chances - but some of the comments I've read from them about 'playing us off the park' was laughable - not sure how you can 'play someone off the park' with 31% possession ?

They looked Sheffield United esque - Hard working, organised and difficult to break down. I think those are the type of sides that go up in the playoffs. 

who cares who had a bad game , who cares who didnt close lolley down , who cares about tactics or slow starts , lamouchi, joe worrall , the idiot who jumped in the canal prematurely , im still smiling today , super Chrissy Martin wiped that smug grin off their faces , the play offs are still on , keep the faith , COYR

The thing that bothers me is that we don’t go out there with the right mindset. We pussyfoot about with safe passing and they grow in confidence. There is no fire, no desire. I’m not sure that we can motivate players to come out of the blocks. It’s all too tame.it might not be the message that people want to hear but we are too soft.

4 minutes ago, RamNut said:

The thing that bothers me is that we don’t go out there with the right mindset. We pussyfoot about with safe passing and they grow in confidence. There is no fire, no desire. I’m not sure that we can motivate players to come out of the blocks. It’s all too tame.it might not be the message that people want to hear but we are too soft.

vs. Forest? Yes. Didn't come out fast enough.

In other games? Not a chance. Since the restart we've controlled a lot of first halves from the beginning. Also, we've had two players given straight red cards. Too soft?

Archived