We can’t underestimate the Rooney effect.

Curtains

Has made an outstanding contribution IMO.

Players learning their trade off him and his performances on the pitch have had great merit as well  

This is not meant in any way to detract from Cocu and his coaching staff who have been great and the other players have embraced it all   

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think we are underestimating it - nor are we overestimating it, as the explosion of excitement from the emergence of Bird and now Sibley, combined with more consistency in playing style has been acknowledged in equal measure.

I think we are estimating it.

4 minutes ago, Duracell said:

I don't think we are underestimating it - nor are we overestimating it, as the explosion of excitement from the emergence of Bird and now Sibley, combined with more consistency in playing style has been acknowledged in equal measure.

I think we are estimating it.

It’s a figure of speech mate .

Just a discussion point really. 

Indeed. It's a great set-up having the professorial Cocu finessing and manicuring on the training ground, then a hugely respected and talented warrior like Rooney to ensure that what is coached, is then carried forward into actual game time. I think their relationship has been absolutely key to Derby's hugely improved form and I'd dearly love to see Wazza offered a year extension.

On a separate note, let's not forget Phil's coaching team. He is always at pains to stress the amount of one on one work done in training and I think this has been core to the individuals gains we've seen, especially with the younger players.

With this in mind, a digital doff off the cap goes to Chris and Twan too, who are somewhat unsung heroes in my book. Likewise, Darren Wassall and his staff who seem to be producing a conveyor belt of bright young talents. Irrespective of how the season finishes, I think we're in the best place we've been in years.

I don’t think anyone is underestimating his impact? I think it’s clear the difference that he’s made, both on and off the pitch. Having a former world class star like Rooney as your captain, guiding you through matches, is always going to improve the players around him imo - and I think that’s been evident in our much improved team performances since Rooney came in, even when he hasn’t been the star of the show on the pitch. Add that to the fact that he’s obviously still probably the best player in this division in terms of his vision and passing ability, and it’s very clear the positive impact his arrival has had on us overall.

But you also have to remember that our turnaround in form isn’t solely down to Rooney. You have to also credit Cocu and his staff for getting the best out of a not particularly great squad of individuals. And that’s not to mention the impact the youngsters coming through have made - having the likes of Knight and Bird establish themselves as top class championship players has hugely the quality of our team, all whilst costing nothing. The resurgence of Chris Martin to something like his best form too has had a similar impact.

He doesn't have to wait and show them the video post match, he can and does have a little word as the match is ongoing. He not only reinforces Cocu's message but I'm sure he can react to situations as they develop on pitch. Lot;s of people, including me, have been taken in by the inarticulate scouser image when he has a fine football brain.

23 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

It's like Rooney is the hugely influential mouthpiece of Cocus vision.

He is the one who "gets it" and can then be the advocate/translator for the rest of the players. 

Rooney is to Cocu what Dave Mackay was to Sir Brian Clough

What was it someone reportedly said to Cloughie when Mackay was playing it out from the back in his first game? Something like "hoof it, get rid of it, get it out!"? Cloughie's response being "that's what we want him to do... all the lads will be doing it now he is". I seem to recall that ended pretty well.

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

It's like Rooney is the hugely influential mouthpiece of Cocus vision.

He is the one who "gets it" and can then be the advocate/translator for the rest of the players. 

Yes absolutely. Cocu is the architect, Rooney is the site manager. 

First time in ages we have a proper leader in the middle of the pitch. Hopefully, Te Wierik will be another to the defence, then we have the spine at last corrected. Ideally we'd have one upfront as well but those are hard to find.

If this is Cocu's thinking, me and him have some common thoughts about leadership dynamics on the pitch.

20 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Small acorns grow into huge Oak trees. 

... Which in turn grow into a large collection of oak trees.  I think there's a name for a large collection of trees, but the name escapes me! 
One of those trees may even be hollowed out, used as a hiding place for green hosiery wearing highwaymen, and live for centuries, building it's own legend, as those centuries pass by.

I think you need to take stock, sit and think about what you have posted, get somebody to spank your backside, then come back on here with apologies for such a poor analogy, and promises to think more carefully in future.

Oh yeah... and...    BOOOOOOOOO!

For me the Rooney effect was there before he even started.  Don't know about all of you but the second I got wind he was joining us I filled my pants in excitement.  I would imagine a lot of our players did the same.  He's a legend, and despite badges like Scouse or Shrek, he's clearly a very intelligent and influential guy.  The way he continuously talks (not shouts) to players throughout a game, even where he's perhaps having an average one himself, is plain to see and invaluable.  That'll be the tip of the iceberg of what we see. His signing, along with Cocu and his team has, for me been a masterstroke.  If, unlike some before them, we can keep BOTH Rooney and Cocu for at least another year then magic may well happen. I need new pants. 

Archived