Night clubs, entertainment etc.

mozza

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Brummie Steve said:

Gerry Marsden was on Radio Derby one Saturday and offered a prize of two tickets to the Pacemakers evening show at the Talk of the Midlands if someone phoned in with the names of His first three singles which all went to number one.

I won it and when Mrs B and I went in the evening we were given champagne (our first anniversary) and went backstage to meet Gerry. Nice guy, memorable evening!

It was great in the Talk.  

Went to see Billy Eckstine a few times and Was great watching from tables  

15928619921574973907610344362100.thumb.jpg.81e3918f3639b3eb0585a77942dddb86.jpg

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

Hot to Trot when it took over at Venue 44 from Renaissance - I loved that venue, so seedy and the sound system was always incredible.

Thank you, was trying to remember what that was called. I had Sure is Pure in my head, but I'm fairly sure that was Leeds.

Memory's kinda fuzzy around that period.

Still got this beauty on my CD rack.

Saw th Beach Boys on their first two UK tours.

1966 at the Odeon Birmingham

1967 at De Montfort Hall Leicester.

Both times I went with Viking Coaches were you paid for travel and ticket together.

Good shows with good support. Lulu, Simon Dupree, Nice, Helen Shapiro.

7 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

15928619921574973907610344362100.thumb.jpg.81e3918f3639b3eb0585a77942dddb86.jpg

Thank you, was trying to remember what that was called. I had Sure is Pure in my head, but I'm fairly sure that was Leeds.

Memory's kinda fuzzy around that period.

Still got this beauty on my CD rack.

Sure is Pure was Kelvin Andrews and he was a resident at Golden in Stoke. I cannot remember it being in Leeds, but I could be wrong.

I had probably my messiest night ever at Back to Basics in Leeds. I was supposed to be writing a review for a magazine and the day after I couldn't remember anything and my notes were total gibberish!

My favorite all time mix Cd is the first ever Renaissance one done by Sasha and Digweed.

And @Van Wolfie - I just remembered the name, The Cats Whiskers.

1 hour ago, mozza said:

Royales was the Swad one, an old converted Cinema. 

If it's the old cinema  on West Street in Swad, my mate bought that building & it's currently a burger joint which he's expanding into an acid house theme bar/restaurant. It's called The Balearic Eye now.

7 minutes ago, Van De Squid said:

If it's the old cinema  on West Street in Swad, my mate bought that building & it's currently a burger joint which he's expanding into an acid house theme bar/restaurant. It's called The Balearic Eye now.

Royals was on Alexandra Road, there was a Cinema in West street, more in the centre of Swad,  i'll bet it's that one you mean, i'll check it out sometime. 

17 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Mosh if I particularly fancy the smell of BO on a Monday night.

Oh God, I can't get over the fact that you just stick to the floor in that place... I have to have had a lot to end up there... 

50 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Interested to know where posters my age go to @Millenniumram @DarkFruitsRam7, you seem like popworld Derby kinda guys ?

Oh god no ?

To be honest I generally prefer a decent pub/bar crawl to clubs, particularly the shithole ones in Derby. If I go out down here it’s generally in Nottingham - rock city and around there. There’s some better ones around Uni in Leeds tbf, though a couple have shut down recently and certain others are full of ketheads and best avoided....

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

My fave in Derby is actually Revs de Cuba.

Mostly for the milfs.

No surprise the lawyer is going for the expensive night out! 

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Oh god no ?

To be honest I generally prefer a decent pub/bar crawl to clubs, particularly the shithole ones in Derby. If I go out down here it’s generally in Nottingham - rock city and around there. There’s some better ones around Uni in Leeds tbf, though a couple have shut down recently and certain others are full of ketheads and best avoided....

Agreed on this one, the clubs in Derby are pretty much the worst, so we like to go around the shithole bars and chat to all the random weirdos we meet along the way, gets rather entertaining.

3 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Sure is Pure was Kelvin Andrews and he was a resident at Golden in Stoke. I cannot remember it being in Leeds, but I could be wrong.

I had probably my messiest night ever at Back to Basics in Leeds. I was supposed to be writing a review for a magazine and the day after I couldn't remember anything and my notes were total gibberish!

My favorite all time mix Cd is the first ever Renaissance one done by Sasha and Digweed.

And @Van Wolfie - I just remembered the name, The Cats Whiskers.

About to mention this one myself - cracker.  Also like the Brandon block club classics cd - which may be Fantazia-that came out in 96.  The last hurrah for good dance tunes. 

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

No surprise the lawyer is going for the expensive night out! 

Agreed on this one, the clubs in Derby are pretty much the worst, so we like to go around the shithole bars and chat to all the random weirdos we meet along the way, gets rather entertaining.

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Oh god no ?

These two quotes make me sad . Back in the early-mid 90's tree botherer's couldn't wait to come to Derby for a night out .  I used to work promotion at clubs in both cities amongst others and Derby was a fantastic night out. People were coming here by the coachload I poo you not.  Nottingham was that place everyone moaned about as having one decent pub every half mile.  Saying that last time i went out there someone mentioned a decent pub up the road and I wound up walking to Hockley, so it's still the same. 

Miss bank holidays on Sadler Gate as well . Every pub rammed with people on the all dayer and Vines with its great tunes and far to ill equipped toilets. 

Oops, just checked....

Spalding Barbeque 67 was the 29th May not the 31st.

The immaculate Fender Strat that Jimi was handling didn't survive being smashed through an amp at the premature end of their performance. 
He played Sergeant Pepper in front of the Beatles a few days later and on June 18th he was at Monterey where he burned his strat (another one!) with lighter fuel.

Them strats weren't cheap either!

10 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

In my pre-dance music days

Pink Coconut in the days if you weren't wearing a tie you'd probably not get in.

The Aquarium in Chesterfield - the only club I have seen women fighting and it happened twice.

The Pav in Matlock Bath probably hundreds of times as it was a hop, skip an a jump home.

Josephine's and Fanny's in Sheffield

One I got into dance and other things we'd move around the country trying new clubs, but these multiple times.

Renaissance in Mansfield and then Derby.

Hot to Trot when it took over at Venue 44 from Renaissance - I loved that venue, so seedy and the sound system was always incredible.

Progress at all of its various venues.

Love To Be in Sheffield.

Golden in Stoke in Trent.

@Van Wolfie what was the club in Baslow called. I think it was in the function room of The Devonshire Arms. It wasn't there that long, I'm guessing around 1981/82 because it was when the new romantic stuff was being played a lot. It used to get rammed. Whispers maybe?

That's a bit before my time (born 1973) but I remember people talking about it. If it was that popular, I would imagine the locals hated it & got it closed down.

Archived