Night clubs, entertainment etc.

mozza

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Romeo & Juliets/Pink Coconut was my main Friday Night destination, late 70's/early 80's, with the occasional change of scenery at Tiffany's (later Confettis?).

What was the one just up from Romeos?  Bailey's was it? Or had it changed name by then?  Went in a few times, but not often.

I met Muckerette in '86 at Paradise, when Dirty Den came to town.  I still use the phrase "We met in Paradise, and I've been there ever since"... hey, you may snigger, but there's no harm in amassing those husband points... I may get to spend 'em, some day!     ?

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Friday Night - Ripley - Pubs, Tonkers, Regal

Saturday Night, same as Friday

Monday Night - Denby Lodge (yes it was very busy with the younger crowd)

Thursday Anchor/Peacock Oakerthorpe.

I'm still banned from the Regal since 1979 !!!

3 hours ago, Brummie Steve said:

The 76 Club could be a dangerous place if any or all of the following applied:-

1) You were male

2) You had a pulse

3) You wanted to keep that pulse

4) Your face didn't fit

I never saw any big groups there.

Nearest I came to seeing Dire Straits was when Mark Kn was in Brewer's Droop!

I missed seeing the Stones in Hyde Park as I never got to London in time!

Saw Blind Faith there though!

Oh yes it could kick off big style , Friday was biker types , Saturday was skinhead mod ish ,the good thing was unlike eve s there was no real dress code as such , didn’t have to wear trouser s and a shirt,

memory has gone a bit but they opened a nightclub in woodville and one in swad on the hill up to gresley  

In my pre-dance music days

Pink Coconut in the days if you weren't wearing a tie you'd probably not get in.

The Aquarium in Chesterfield - the only club I have seen women fighting and it happened twice.

The Pav in Matlock Bath probably hundreds of times as it was a hop, skip an a jump home.

Josephine's and Fanny's in Sheffield

One I got into dance and other things we'd move around the country trying new clubs, but these multiple times.

Renaissance in Mansfield and then Derby.

Hot to Trot when it took over at Venue 44 from Renaissance - I loved that venue, so seedy and the sound system was always incredible.

Progress at all of its various venues.

Love To Be in Sheffield.

Golden in Stoke in Trent.

@Van Wolfie what was the club in Baslow called. I think it was in the function room of The Devonshire Arms. It wasn't there that long, I'm guessing around 1981/82 because it was when the new romantic stuff was being played a lot. It used to get rammed. Whispers maybe?

39 minutes ago, Archied said:

Oh yes it could kick off big style , Friday was biker types , Saturday was skinhead mod ish ,the good thing was unlike eve s there was no real dress code as such , didn’t have to wear trouser s and a shirt,

memory has gone a bit but they opened a nightclub in woodville and one in swad on the hill up to gresley  

Royales was the Swad one, an old converted Cinema. 

Just now, Brummie Steve said:

Kings I thought they called it.

It suddenly went belly up and the owners disappeared leaving a sign.

"No show and gone fishing."

Royales bruv, the old KwikSave, up Alexandra Hill. I'm almost certain..

Gerry Marsden was on Radio Derby one Saturday and offered a prize of two tickets to the Pacemakers evening show at the Talk of the Midlands if someone phoned in with the names of His first three singles which all went to number one.

I won it and when Mrs B and I went in the evening we were given champagne (our first anniversary) and went backstage to meet Gerry. Nice guy, memorable evening!

Archived