Night clubs, entertainment etc.

mozza

As we grow older, i was wondering where we went for our entertainment in the 'good old days'. Me, growing up and still living in the Burton area, my first adult, club experience was

Adams-Burton,

Tiffanies - Derby 

Pippin club - Melbourne.

Loads of other venues throughout my life, and I will list them as and when i remember. 

Anyway, list yours, rate them, memories, eh..

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I very occasionally went in the 76Club,  but would have gone in a lot more had i known that (according to wiki) Dire Straits, Sex Pistols,AC/DC, Ultravox etc. Were performing there, wonder what happened to that lot. ?

Anyway add comments please.

Growing up on a farm near Baslow, my early social experiences (age 16+) were mainly Young Farmers' Clubs do's, hosted at pub function rooms. Most memorable ones were at the Waterloo at Taddington (Buxton YFC) and especially numerous ones at the Marquis of Granby at Bamford (Hope Valley YFC), which is unfortunately now demolished.

Going to proper clubs later was mainly centred around Chesterfield (Xanadu 10p a pint nights in the early 90's!); Climax at Dronfield and later, various ones in Sheffield.

43 minutes ago, mozza said:

We ventured further afield as we got older, Top of the World in Stafford, some place in Stoke that i can't remember the name of in the late 70's @uttoxram75 may know. 

Was 'some place' in Stoke actually 'The Place'?

I went there in late 90s a few times. It was a large pub, then you entered the club part through an internal door. Once they had cleared the pub out, it reopened as part of an extended club. Genius.

My parents saw the Stones in Stafford in the 70s. Crazy.

2 hours ago, angieram said:

Grey Topper, Jacksdale

Golden Diamond, Sutton in Ashfield

Rock City, Nottingham when I had a boyfriend with a car or clapped out old van! 

Saw Ultravox!, Adam and the Ants and The Frantic Elevators at Grey Topper.?

Kids today don't know they are born

2 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Was 'some place' in Stoke actually 'The Place'?

I went there in late 90s a few times. It was a large pub, then you entered the club part through an internal door. Once they had cleared the pub out, it reopened as part of an extended club. Genius.

My parents saw the Stones in Stafford in the 70s. Crazy.

Thats it, The Place, i think it was in Hanley.

3 hours ago, SIXTEEN AGAIN said:

Saw Ultravox!, Adam and the Ants and The Frantic Elevators at Grey Topper.?

Kids today don't know they are born

Mud always used to play on "Ladies Free" night. Then they had a number one and they started to charge us 50p. I argued that I wasn't paying 50p to see that old letch Les Gray, so they continued to let us regulars  in for free. 

Archived