Live football thread.

Rev

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I feel for Man Utd right now with Chelsea, City and Liverpool streets ahead. The biggest difference is the managers. Ole is just nowhere near that level, he’s not even in the same league as managers like Ralph Hasenhuttl or Sean Dyche.

United missed a trick not going for Antonio Conte.

Zidane may fancy it. Erik ten Hag is another who deserves a crack at a top club.

It's not just Ole though. The club is still rotten. How Pogba is still there after the way he's acted all through his spell is crazy. I don't care how good a player he is, he is cancer as far as team unity is concerned. The money men still dictate transfer policy in that they sign people to shift shirts above all else. Imagine spunking the money to bring Penaldo back rather than build for the future because they were so panicked about him potentially turning out in the blue of Man City. And because they have to accommodate Ronaldo, they now can't find a place for the guy they've literally spent the last two years chasing. It makes Mad Mel's transfer policy look consistent. De Gea is one of the most overrated 'keepers in world football and it seems like every Man U fan still has a massive blind spot where he's concerned. If Roos got beaten at his near post like De Gea today, actually that's not really a hypothetical since it happens about once a fortnight. When Roos gets beaten at his near post like De Gea today, he gets absolutely hammered. When it happens to De Gea, everyone talks about other saves he's made and refuse to address consistently poor aspects of his play. That dodgy fax machine is probably Real Madrid's MVP.

Having said that, I hope they don't change a thing because it's absolutely hilarious.

Edited by Anon

11 minutes ago, Anon said:

It's not just Ole though. The club is still rotten. How Pogba is still there after the way he's acted all through his spell is crazy. I don't care how good a player he is, he is cancer as far as team unity is concerned. The money men still dictate transfer policy in that they sign people to shift shirts above all else. Imagine spunking the money to bring Penaldo back rather than build for the future because they were so panicked about him potentially turning out in the blue of Man City. And because they have to accommodate Ronaldo, they now can't find a place for the guy they've literally spent the last two years chasing. It makes Mad Mel's transfer policy look consistent. De Gea is one of the most overrated 'keepers in world football and it seems like every Man U fan still has a massive blind spot where he's concerned. If Roos got beaten at his near post like De Gea today, actually that's not really a hypothetical since it happens about once a fortnight. When Roos gets beaten at his near post like De Gea today, he gets absolutely hammered. When it happens to De Gea, everyone talks about other saves he's made and refuse to address consistently poor aspects of his play. That dodgy fax machine is probably Real Madrid's MVP.

Having said that, I hope they don't change a thing because it's absolutely hilarious.

I just look at Man united and think to myself, where is the ambition. Yes, they're making a good go of a decline to mediocrity, a la Arsenal, but they could really push themselves towards 2000s Leeds, or even recent aston villa if they really wanted to try.

40 minutes ago, Anon said:

Imagine spunking the money to bring Ronaldo back rather than build for the future because they were so panicked about him potentially turning out in the blue of Man City. And because they have to accommodate Ronaldo, they now can't find a place for the guy they've literally spent the last two years chasing.

Lol. What a joke. Imagine not wanting one of the game's best players now. Who's the other guy then? ?

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lol. What a joke. Imagine not wanting one of the game's best players now. Who's the other guy then? ?

Sancho. Ronaldo doesn't fit with how United want to play. If he were younger, we could argue that you should do whatever is necessary to accommodate such a talented player, but at 36 I don't think it's worth the disruption. Still though, what do I know? It's going great so far. Mr statpad has the required number of tap ins for people to remain fixated on him and Man Utd are looking really dangerous.

40 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It was a panic buy. 

I mean, by signing Ronaldo they have basically stunted Greenwood’s progress as he is now shoved out wide right, leaving Jadon Sancho battling for minutes despite them chasing him for two years.

Throw in Cavani, Rashford, Martial, Van de Beek, Fernándes and Pogba and you’ve got too many attacking players.

There was no logic to signing Ronaldo from a footballing sense. By bringing him in, they’ve basically dumped on two of England’s brightest prospects in Greenwood and Sancho.

As Anon put, they only did it because they didn’t want City to have him. What sort of planning is that?

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

I mean, by signing Ronaldo they have basically stunted Greenwood’s progress as he is now shoved out wide right, leaving Jadon Sancho battling for minutes despite them chasing him for two years.

Lol! ROFL. And yet he's better than both of them. Not been impressed with Sancho perhaps he'll be another Pogba? Ronaldo the real deal. Why do Man U have to be bothered about resale value? They need the results NOW.

48 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lol! ROFL. And yet he's better than both of them. Not been impressed with Sancho perhaps he'll be another Pogba? Ronaldo the real deal. Why do Man U have to be bothered about resale value? They need the results NOW.

And exactly how has Ronaldo's famous big game disappearing act against Liverpool and City in recent weeks helped with results?

I'm not saying I think Man Utd would've won those games without Ronaldo. I'm just highlighting the fact that he completely failed to help them get results NOW.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

I don’t know how good Sancho will be. What does resale value have to do with anything? Man Utd will make money off of Ronaldo with the merchandise and extra media etc, but on the field how has he helped United?

Ronaldo would be fine if you have workhorses behind him who can also dominate the ball and create in midfield. For years at Madrid he had Kroos, Modric, Di María, Xavi Alonso, Casemiro etc. being his foil behind.

Man Utd have Fred, McTominay, Pogba, Fernandes, Matic. These players aren’t going to dominate a midfield, so why bring in another player who won’t run or close down to lead the line?

A complete lack of planning. Regardless of his ability to put the ball in the net, Ronaldo is a liability off the ball and Man Utd can’t afford another liability, they have plenty already. And going back, aside from that, his presence stunts the progress of two other players. 

Edited by Bris Vegas

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

A complete lack of planning. Regardless of his ability to put the ball in the net, Ronaldo is a liability off the ball and Man Utd can’t afford another liability, they have plenty already. And going back, aside from that, his presence stunts the progress of two other players. 

Not much to them then?! If they have lots of liabilities get rid of the others. Serious nonsense about a player who has already scored loads of goals for Manure. ?

13 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I don’t know how good Sancho will be. What does resale value have to do with anything? Man Utd will make money off of Ronaldo with the merchandise and extra media etc, but on the field how has he helped United?

Ronaldo would be fine if you have workhorses behind him who can also dominate the ball and create in midfield. For years at Madrid he had Kroos, Modric, Di María, Xavi Alonso, Casemiro etc. being his foil behind.

Man Utd have Fred, McTominay, Pogba, Fernandes, Matic. These players aren’t going to dominate a midfield, so why bring in another player who won’t run or close down to lead the line?

The only plan manure have got is a business plan. And i ll tell you how good Sancho is, i have it on good authority that when he left city to go to Dortmund, they were pretty pissed as he was ahead of Foden but could not see himself getting minutes on the pitch when Silva (el mago) was still at the club. Ronaldo signing is a marketing move, nothing else.

10 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not much to them then?! If they have lots of liabilities get rid of the others. Serious nonsense about a player who has already scored loads of goals for Manure. ?

That’s seriously short term thinking though. Ronaldo isn’t going to keep playing forever. 

he’s the very definition of painting over the cracks. He’ll get them some results this season on his own, granted. But the overall performances have still been crap, and he can’t do it by himself every game. 

he’ll keep them up and around the European spots by himself this season, but how many seasons can he do that. 

If United keep going ons bony this long term plan, sticking with ole for the long term to see out the plan, they’d have been just as well off to cultivate greenwood and Sancho this season. They’d probably end up with just as much success (or lack of) this season. But they’d be much better set up for next season, with happier players who’ve had a few minutes. 

44 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

That’s seriously short term thinking though. Ronaldo isn’t going to keep playing forever. 

he’s the very definition of painting over the cracks. He’ll get them some results this season on his own, granted. But the overall performances have still been crap, and he can’t do it by himself every game. 

he’ll keep them up and around the European spots by himself this season, but how many seasons can he do that. 

They have the money to do that and bring other players through. It's not like they don't have 'future' players. Perhaps look at how the players are utilised rather than the players themselves?

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

They have the money to do that and bring other players through. It's not like they don't have 'future' players. Perhaps look at how the players are utilised rather than the players themselves?

Do they want to build for the future, or do they want short term success though? They keep talking about Ole having a plan to build for the future, but then they bring players like Ronaldo and Cavani in to stand in the way of there very talented youngsters. 

they’re being accused a lot of not having much of an identity or plan at the minute. They’re one tactic seems to be ‘get the ball to Ronaldo.’ That’s not a sustainable model. 

6 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Do they want to build for the future, or do they want short term success though? They keep talking about Ole having a plan to build for the future, but then they bring players like Ronaldo and Cavani in to stand in the way of there very talented youngsters. 

they’re being accused a lot of not having much of an identity or plan at the minute. They’re one tactic seems to be ‘get the ball to Ronaldo.’ That’s not a sustainable model. 

As I said they players aren't the problem - if you think Ronaldo and Cavani aren't better than what they have coming through then you're wrong.

Do you think (for instance) we should have signed Jags and Curtis if we'd a couple of youngsters in waiting? I do.

Edited by RoyMac5

51 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

As I said they players aren't the problem - if you think Ronaldo and Cavani aren't better than what they have coming through then you're wrong.

Do you think (for instance) we should have signed Jags and Curtis if we'd a couple of youngsters in waiting? I do.

Yes, cos in our position, we need older experienced heads to lead the team. United aren’t going to win anything this year, like they haven’t for the last few years. With it without Ronaldo. They’re younger talents are easily good enough to get them to 4th, which is all they could hope for with Ronaldo in the team. 

it’s not Ronaldo a fault they signed him. And to be fair, if you’ve got the chance of signing Ronaldo, you take it, and try to slot him in somewhere, a bit like us signing Rooney. At this level you’d be daft to turn down the offer. But it isn’t conducive to a long term plan. I think Rooney recognised this and quickly took himself out of the equation. 

it’s a brave manager that says ‘we don’t need Ronaldo’ but in the long run it could be a step backwards for them. 

I know Neville and Keane have been hammered for defending their old pal Ole week after week. Makes you think this why that group of Man Utd players won so many trophies together. The loyalty between them is unbelievable even now