Live football thread.

Rev

55 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

IMHO it's proof the game is massively corrupt. Which is no surprise given there are billions of pounds at stake here. Something has been rotten in the English game for a long time now. No one can be this incompetent. 

What is a surprise is that Richard Keys and Andy Gray are still on telly doing their stuff. Who knew?

Can't see what the problem is. Definitely offside. 😂

IMG-20230930-WA0005.jpg

37 minutes ago, Chellaston Ram said:

Liverpool have had many VAR decisions in their favour in the past. Swings and roundabouts spring to mind.

I agree. As we are frequently told, it all evens itself out at the end of the season.

Liverpool fans should quit complaining and just draw a line under it, unlike the line the VAR ref forgot to do.

Edited by WestKentRam

This error by the VAR officials is  beyond shameful.

Yes contentious VAR decisions on whether a tackle was or wasn't a foul can be open to debate. But this was an offside call, It just required two lines to be drawn across the pitch. How can they get that so wrong.

Though I'm sure an apology on Monday morning from the  head clown, sorry referee, will make everything OK.

I can only imagine there was an issue with the connection and they couldn’t actually review the situation.

So they just winged it.

Gary Neville said they did the VAR check within 30 seconds which is unusual. I think they didn’t have the tech working in that moment and went with the onfield decision.

Aside from corruption, I can’t see any other reason to get it wrong. They can’t be that incompetent. 

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I can only imagine there was an issue with the connection and they couldn’t actually review the situation.

So they just winged it.

Gary Neville said they did the VAR check within 30 seconds which is unusual. I think they didn’t have the tech working in that moment and went with the onfield decision.

Aside from corruption, I can’t see any other reason to get it wrong. They can’t be that incompetent. 

it worked, they just thought the goal had been given on field. 

bin var. 

The VAR refs probably just nipped out for their statutory rest break as it unfortunately fell mid match. They came back in to the unattended VAR screens, panicked as they couldn't work out what had just happened and pressed the 'VAR check complete' button hoping that would sort it.

10 hours ago, WestKentRam said:

I agree. As we are frequently told, it all evens itself out at the end of the season.

Liverpool fans should quit complaining and just draw a line under it, unlike the line the VAR ref forgot to do.

Never, ever, ever, ever, going to happen - biggest whingers in football - the world's against them and they love to let everybody know it......

1 hour ago, WestKentRam said:

The VAR refs probably just nipped out for their statutory rest break as it unfortunately fell mid match. They came back in to the unattended VAR screens, panicked as they couldn't work out what had just happened and pressed the 'VAR check complete' button hoping that would sort it.

Darren England and assistant Dan Cook...both have been stood down for the next match, England should be stood down for eternity 👍 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/soccer/var-blunder-officials-darren-england-and-dan-cook-stood-down-from-duty-after-tottenham-v-liverpool-error/ar-AA1hw8S8#image=1

Edited by The Last Post

I don't like those tyre stealers at the best of times, they were robbed yesterday.

The offside which blatantly wasn't offside and then Curtis Jones got sent off for a accidental foul. Wasn't reckless, wasn't out of control. Slow mo replay making it worse than it is.

I hate VAR and I hate the incompetence of refereeing. If the Premier League officials are useless then there's no hope for us in League One.

I’ve just read that Darren England, the Var for the game at Tottenham and Dan Cook, the assistant Var, were part of a group of English referees who officiated Sharjah’s match against Al-Ain on Thursday.

It is understood that England and Cook returned to London on Friday on a near-eight hour trip to begin their preparations for the following day’s match between Spurs and Liverpool.

The excuse that England thought that the goal had been awarded seems nonsensical.  Why didn’t England & Cook ask the referee why Spurs were restarting the game with a free kick for offside.

Either Howard Webb is lying through his teeth to save VAR from further pain or Webb did not fully think through the response he got from the VAR official!

Either way something doesn't smell right………..I wonder if they were both awake at the time!

Edited by Old Spalding Ram

16 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

I’ve just read that Darren England, the Var for the game at Tottenham and Dan Cook, the assistant Var, were part of a group of English referees who officiated Sharjah’s match against Al-Ain on Thursday.

It is understood that England and Cook returned to London on Friday on a near-eight hour trip to begin their preparations for the following day’s match between Spurs and Liverpool.

The excuse that England thought that the goal had been awarded seems nonsensical.  Why didn’t England & Cook ask the referee why Spurs were restarting the game with a free kick for offside.

Either Howard Webb is lying through his teeth to save VAR from further pain or Webb did not fully think through the response he got from the VAR official!

Either way something doesn't smell right………..I wonder if they were both awake at the time!

I think they went out for a fag.

It's the woke anti-smoking laws what's to blame.

I have no issue in principle with VAR but it will never work successfully given the abysmal standard of officiating, both on the field and at Stockley Park. The match referee can sometimes be forgiven for errors due to the speed of players, view being obstructed etc but the VAR chimps have no such excuses - yesterdays' decision to disallow a goal for Liverpool was shocking.

1 hour ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

I read this earlier on and thought...WTF is going off, England, Cook and Michael Oliver flew over there with the FAs blessing and 24 hours later 2 are in charge of VAR...Jet lag can stay with you for a good few days, I flew back from British Columbia a good few years ago and I was fu**ed for days, These 2 as you say were half asleep at best and still not brain functioning at worse, The FA and PGMOL are at fault.

Our game has another notch on the pistol for stupidity 🙄

1 hour ago, Grumpy Git said:

Did I dream it, or did last year's World Cup have automatically drawn "offside" lines which worked more or less perfectly?

The FA are a pisstake.

Given the rapid advances in AI and machine learning, you'd have thought they could have trained something up that does a better job than the clowns in the VAR shed - though a well trained chimpanzee would probably be an improvement...

Edited by Gaspode