Live football thread.

Rev

Dunk looked ok tonight but you have to consider the opposition. Not sure he's good enough against the top sides. Probably slightly better than Maguire who seems the most accident prone player ever. Maguire is more of a threat at corners (attacking not defending).

Foden. Bellingham, improving all the time, along with Saka they are capable of creating and taking chances against the best.

Kyle Walker is very impressive and a real threat going forward. Arguably one of the best in the world right now in that position.

10 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

I have some sympathy with Maguire although if he turned down a move in the transfer window virtually guaranteeing him game time then he's made a huge mistake. His confidence is shot, the last thing he needs is to be exposed on the international stage to the intense scrutiny by media and fans - I would have expected Southgate to have understood his situation and used this 'friendly' to play Tomori or at least bring him off the bench, rather than put more pressure on Maguire.

Yeah I kind of feel sorry for him, you could just tell it was just a matter of time before he made a balls up last night with the Scottish fans jeering every time he had the ball. It's like he needs time away from football now. Call it a day.

Scotland had their tails up with recent results and were well up for this. Home ground v England = Extra player imo. Good result for England. Bellingham is the flair player we have needed for years...class and will make a difference I am sure. Dunk got involved and did well. Australia next and similar to Scotland, will be up for it. Italy will be a good test.

Edited by TimRam

For all this about Phillips not playing for City, I think he’s an excellent player for England and that partnership with Rice is excellent. 

Think Southgate can be a bit more sparing with pace in the attacking positions. Really like Saka, and Rashford has his moments but really think our best option may be:

Kane

Grealish  Bellingham  Foden

then bring Saka in when needed and Rashford off the bench. 

We need something else defensively too, it feels very unsettled back there. I’d like Tomori but I wonder whether they think he’s a bit too much of a walking yellow card at international level 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66793217

Aw diddums Gareth. God forbid anyone should upset your special boy by criticising him. You want to know what is actually a joke, you continuing to pick Maguire, despite the fact he can't get a game for his club team and despite your previous claims that the England side would be picked on form, not reputation.

2 hours ago, Anon said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66793217

Aw diddums Gareth. God forbid anyone should upset your special boy by criticising him. You want to know what is actually a joke, you continuing to pick Maguire, despite the fact he can't get a game for his club team and despite your previous claims that the England side would be picked on form, not reputation.

He's backing his players like all good managers/bosses do.

Can someone please explain to me how playing out from the back is good and moving the ball forward quickly is bad? I've just watched Southampton's playing out from the back costing them two goals yet when they moved the ball forward quickly they scored. I keep seeing teams playing out from the back getting into trouble! Don't get it myself. But what do I know from my 50 plus years of involvement in the game.

12 minutes ago, Yoxoram said:

Can someone please explain to me how playing out from the back is good and moving the ball forward quickly is bad? I've just watched Southampton's playing out from the back costing them two goals yet when they moved the ball forward quickly they scored. I keep seeing teams playing out from the back getting into trouble! Don't get it myself. But what do I know from my 50 plus years of involvement in the game.

4-1 down now, fans leaving after 66 minutes. Booed off at half time.

1 hour ago, Yoxoram said:

You are more likely to score goal when you have the ball, than when you do not.

You are more likely to concede a goal when the opposition have the ball, as opposed to not having the ball.

You are more likely to have possession of the ball playing out from the back, as opposed to playing it long and thus inviting a 50/50 duel.

There are of course incidents when a long punt forward can result in a goal. And when playing out from the back can result in conceding a goal.

But there is a reason why the best teams play out from the back. It’s the most difficult to coach from a technical standpoint, and that’s why some teams look horrible when trying it.

1 hour ago, Yoxoram said:

Russel Martin is the absolute extreme and does it for the sake of it, his teams concede countless unnecessary goals because he insists on it simply due to his own stubbornness

14 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

You are more likely to score goal when you have the ball, than when you do not.

You are more likely to concede a goal when the opposition have the ball, as opposed to not having the ball.

You are more likely to have possession of the ball playing out from the back, as opposed to playing it long and thus inviting a 50/50 duel.

There are of course incidents when a long punt forward can result in a goal. And when playing out from the back can result in conceding a goal.

But there is a reason why the best teams play out from the back. It’s the most difficult to coach from a technical standpoint, and that’s why some teams look horrible when trying it.

The best also know when to go long though

you watch Man City nowadays and with Haaland they often go long, they rarely ever concede a goal playing out from the back because they know when to mix it up something a lot of stubborn managers don’t do because of their own pride