Live football thread.

Rev

1 minute ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Bellingham was only brought on to replace the injured Phillips in a 2,so hardly an inspired tactical masterplan. 

He was playing a 4231 for most of the night not a midfield 3.

Bowen just gets slotted in to one of the wide forwards. He's OK, but doesn't offer anything new. 

what did you want?

Who should have played instead?

26 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I swear Maguire only plays for England because he plays for Man Utd, and he only plays for Man Utd because he is English. Work that one out. 

I think he plays as the number one tactic for 4 years has been to hump the ball on to his Frank Sidebottom head at every set piece opportunity.

10 minutes ago, sage said:

what did you want?

Who should have played instead?

If it's always going to be a double pivot I'd like to have seen Ward-Prowse alongside rice. 

I'd have given sancho another chance in a wide forward position and either Bellingham or mount as the cam. He's had a crap season but he's hardly alone in that. 

I'd have looked into the youngsters for a lb rather than play Trippier out of position. 

I'd have been trying other cbs other than Maguire who is a well known quantity. Coady didn't impress v Hungary and Ben White was injured but I might have given mings a go alongside stones. 

9 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

If it's always going to be a double pivot I'd like to have seen Ward-Prowse alongside rice. 

I'd have given sancho another chance in a wide forward position and either Bellingham or mount as the cam. He's had a crap season but he's hardly alone in that. 

I'd have looked into the youngsters for a lb rather than play Trippier out of position. 

I'd have been trying other cbs other than Maguire who is a well known quantity. Coady didn't impress v Hungary and Ben White was injured but I might have given mings a go alongside stones. 

Mings???           No No No GIF

2 hours ago, Premier ram said:

I am worried about our World Cup chances , defence is a mess and midfield looks unbalanced , the one consolation is up front , lots of options , a lot of work for Gareth to do

I decided to have a look at the Whoscored England squad. 2 players per position (3 for GK) and only basing the rating off starts in their one position (min 5 starts), just to see how different it was to the squad Southgate picked for these games.

GK: Pope, Forster, Ramsdale (Pickford 5th)
RB: James, TAA (Walker 8th, Trippier 15th)
CB: Chalobah, Tomori, Burn, Tarkowski (Stones 5th, Guehi 13th, Mings 14th, White 16th, Maguire 20th, Coady 22nd)
LB: Walker-Peters, Targett (Justin N/A)
DM/CM/AM: Mount, Milner, Jones, Loftus-Cheek, Rice, Bellingham (Gallagher 7th, Ward-Prowse 10th, Phillips 27rd)
RW: Maddison, Bowen (Saka 4th)
LW: Sterling, Grealish
CF: Kane, Foden (Abraham 5th)

In the two games so far, only two out of the 11 defenders and goalkeepers that would get into the Whoscored squad have had any game time. James limited to 30 minutes and TAA 60. 

You can make certain arguments for excluding some players due to style or age (such as Burn, Tarkowski, Milner, Maddison), but Maguire, Coady and Phillips have been exceptionally poor all season and shouldn't have been in the squad, never mind starting.

Southgate has too much faith in who he has called up in the past and is too slow at moving on. 5 RBs in the squad yet again is proof of his reluctance to move on from Walker and Trippier. We should have spent the last couple of years letting James and TAA to grow into that role. Starting Walker at CB instead of Tomori in a nothing game vs Hungary was taking the pee. No recognised LB in the squad (2nd position for Trippier and Justin) was another major squad selection error. 

3 hours ago, Premier ram said:

I am worried about our World Cup chances , defence is a mess and midfield looks unbalanced , the one consolation is up front , lots of options , a lot of work for Gareth to do

Unless we get a favorable draw, our World Cup chances are slim anyway as we still lack the ability to beat the very best sides.

That and the fact we lack genuine world class players. Harry Kane and Kyle Walker are probably the only two who you would say are among the best around in their respective position.

8 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Unless we get a favorable draw, our World Cup chances are slim anyway as we still lack the ability to beat the very best sides.

That and the fact we lack genuine world class players. Harry Kane and Kyle Walker are probably the only two who you would say are among the best around in their respective position.

Harry Kane seems to spend a lot of his game time in all sorts of other positions, rather than centre forward....