Dean Saunders

Danelaw Rams

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, europia said:

Yep, absolutely top quality striker that we inevitably had to sell to Liverpool to balance the books. Familiar tale ....

There was quite a lot of chat at the time that suggested that the Saunders and Mark Wright fees never went anywhere near the books but were Fat Bob's pay off

13 hours ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

The ManCity goal at BBG is one of my favourites.

I vaguely remember being at that game and that goal is in my memory as the best goal I have seen. I think that's the first time I've seen it replayed since I saw it live. I thought it was a volley straight from Shiltons' kick, but it bounced once. But jeez, what a goal!!!

16 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

There was quite a lot of chat at the time that suggested that the Saunders and Mark Wright fees never went anywhere near the books but were Fat Bob's pay off

Got nothing like there valuation if I recall, bit like when we got robbed by villa for Tommy j and Charles 

5 hours ago, Big Bad Bob said:

I vaguely remember being at that game and that goal is in my memory as the best goal I have seen. I think that's the first time I've seen it replayed since I saw it live. I thought it was a volley straight from Shiltons' kick, but it bounced once. But jeez, what a goal!!!

Same! I always thought it was straight from Shilton’s goal kick. Thinking back now that was very unlikely as Shilton kicked like an Under 12 goalkeeper in those days! His kicking from the floor went about 35 yards from goal on occasions!

What a player Saunders was though. One of my favourites. A class act. Made every centre half look amateurish on occasions. Absolutely schooled Bruce and made him look like the donkey he was when he dummied him to set Goddard up at Old Trafford! 

Im sure he had one disallowed in the League Cup quarter final against west ham at Upton park that was well onside would have won the game for us but we lost the 2nd replay back in London-strange days 2 replays in the League cup would get some managers moaning today.

21 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

Yes from what I remember, Maxwell was very keen to cut his ties with DCFC (his empire was crumbling at that point), but he wanted to take a chunk of cash when he left. Saunders and Wright were the main assets of the club, and Maxwell departed upon the sale of the two players to Liverpool. 

18 hours ago, europia said:

Yes from what I remember, Maxwell was very keen to cut his ties with DCFC (his empire was crumbling at that point), but he wanted to take a chunk of cash when he left. Saunders and Wright were the main assets of the club, and Maxwell departed upon the sale of the two players to Liverpool. 

Yeah, that’s how I saw it as well 

On 01/06/2020 at 17:05, secretsquirrel said:

Im sure he had one disallowed in the League Cup quarter final against west ham at Upton park that was well onside would have won the game for us but we lost the 2nd replay back in London-strange days 2 replays in the League cup would get some managers moaning today.

If I remember correctly, big Kevin Francis passed it slightly backwards for him, but because he was 6ft 7in tall, Saunders body was in front of his and it looked like he passed it forward. VAR would have put us in the final. 

As a brummie, one of my favourite Deano goals had to be the header at Villa Park. 

Was in my top 5 best ever Rams until he spent time over the dark side !

Sorry Deano, that was unforgivable.

He does tell a great story of when Cloughie tried to sign him - google it if you’ve not heard it - very funny !

Stay Safe

Gangway D from the terrace

2 hours ago, GangwayD said:

Was in my top 5 best ever Rams until he spent time over the dark side !

Sorry Deano, that was unforgivable.

He does tell a great story of when Cloughie tried to sign him - google it if you’ve not heard it - very funny !

Stay Safe

Gangway D from the terrace

If it involves a carpet and a pot plant, then yes, it is a great story... although it's not particularly accurate, according to others who claim to have been there?  

?‍♂️

Archived