VE Day

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once "The Few"... but then there was one...

RIP, Sir... And Thank you.
xxx

Battle of Britain veteran Terry Clark dies on the eve of VE Day at the age of 101.
Mr Clark's death leaves John "Paddy" Hemingway as the last surviving air crew, known as The Few, who took to the skies to defend the UK against attacks from the Luftwaffe, Nazi Germany's air force, in the Battle of Britain.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/terry-clark-battle-of-britain-veteran-dies-a4435756.html

So a bit pissed we have just had a VE day street party ,two old dears in their nineties kept us entertained with their stories ,Second World War music and my pissed up neighbour 78 [god love him [ dressed up as the home guard .

Brilliant afternoon, no way the Jerries could have won the two old dears down my street would have had them for breakfast.

I might take some stick for this, but hey ho, lets go.

Watched the news at 6 and they did a report from a street party, everyone was respecting the memory of the lost men and women of the armed forces during the Second World War.

Then one lady at the end said the same adding, “I’m also thinking about the NHS on the front line.”

Now, I respect the NHS and clap every Thursday and have donated to them too.

Why did she feel she had to shoe horn the NHS in with millions of people who gave their lives during the war?

It smacked a bit of whataboutary to me.

Thats my opinion.

Lets just respect the fallen for one day shall we?  It’s VE Day.

20 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

So a bit pissed we have just had a VE day street party ,two old dears in their nineties kept us entertained with their stories ,Second World War music and my pissed up neighbour 78 [god love him [ dressed up as the home guard .

Brilliant afternoon, no way the Jerries could have won the two old dears down my street would have had them for breakfast.

AHs book Mein Kampf had a small sentence in it saying "be aware when taking on the British they will not give in easily"

34 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

Same. All sat in front of our houses we all celebrated, respected social distancing got pissed and proceeded to  burn fish fingers to a cinder. Great day.

20 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I might take some stick for this, but hey ho, lets go.

Watched the news at 6 and they did a report from a street party, everyone was respecting the memory of the lost men and women of the armed forces during the Second World War.

Then one lady at the end said the same adding, “I’m also thinking about the NHS on the front line.”

Why did she feel she had to shoe horn the NHS in with millions of people who gave their lives during the war?

Thats my opinion.

I understand and totally respect your point but, personally I didn't have a problem with it. Also quite liked a banner I saw being pulled across the sky by an aircraft. Can't remember exactly what it said but something along the lines of "thank you to the heroes of past and present". These are exceptional times. 

27 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Thats my opinion.

It's about sacrifice init.

I agree with Boycie to be honest. The next proper celebration for VE Day should be in 25 years time, they may acknowledge the day in  5 year intervals but the 100th will be the next big one.

I see today’s acknowledgement as special because we won’t have any survivors from the Second World War in 25 years time so I see today as their day.

I would have no problem if in future there is a day to pay respects to those that have died fighting this damned virus, in fact it may be remiss if we don’t, but for me, May the 8th 2020 is all about thanking survivors of the war and remembering those that didn’t.

I’ll be out again on Thursday night paying my respects to all the NHS and emergency service staff mind. 

I went with my wife and kids to see my grandfather today for a socially distant picnic in his garden. He’s 98 and was in the RAF in the war. He joined in 1940 and after basic training was based at Tangmere which was bombed to hell within a week or so of him arriving. Must have been terrifying for an 18 year old. He met Douglas Bader though!

He ended up being posted to Egypt and Austria. He’s a fascinating bloke, completely with it, independent and still has such a good memory. He’s been into my kids’ school 3 times to talk to their year 6 kids about the war. I feel very proud of him, especially today.

Archived